thought i would share some of our macro photography shots

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

thought i would share some of our macro photography shots

Post by mathjak107 »

besides picking on the pp , my wife and i are very avid photographers and when i am not picking on the pp , lol , or with our grand kids we are usually off shooting some where .

we especially like macro photography so i thought i would show ya'all yesterdays work.

new macro shots

barrett
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: thought i would share some of our macro photography shots

Post by barrett »

math,

What is that insect in shots one and five? And is that pollen on the bee's back?

Great shots! (I still think you should own some gold. :) )
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 »

yep that is pollen ,  as far as insects and flowers i have zero clue as to most of the things i shoot . 

i never had an interest in flowers and in fact just the thought i go to gardens is amazing as there was never enough blood and broken bones to hold my attention . photography has changed all that and while i have little clue as to the things i shoot i know when i can make something  look purdy ......
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Gorgeous. Must send these to my ex gf, who has taken up beekeeping.
(Her husband is allergic to stings, so I'm a bit suspicious...)
9pm EST Explosions in Iran (Isfahan) and Syria and Iraq. Not yet confirmed.
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 »

dualstow wrote: Gorgeous. Must send these to my ex gf, who has taken up beekeeping.
(Her husband is allergic to stings, so I'm a bit suspicious...)
thanks , we have a section on our website with just bees and bugs  . they are  my favorite subjects
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 »

Last edited by mathjak107 on Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lonestar
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Lonestar »

Please tell us what camera and len(s) you are using for those shots.  they look great!
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 »

a nikon d800 and nikon 105mm vr macro lens with the nikon r1c1 macro flash .

i use  the macro flash's to basically control the sun light  .  i shoot in manual and set the camera to the darkness of the back ground i like . then i use the very fast flash's to basically expose the subject and freeze it . flashes are so much faster than the camera  so basically i take advantage of two different exposure systems .

but i shoot  raw and very flat and blan in camera . all seasoning is done in post processing later on .

i am just interested in getting good solid exposures in camera with as little noise as i can so i expose  using the histogram as far to the right as i can recording max signal to noise .
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 »

wildlife is another favorite of ours . took these saturday at the bronx zoo.  this is a nikon d7000 and nikon 18-300mm and a nikon d800 with the  nikon 70-200mm f2.8

mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 »

we are headed to savannah ga on sunday to do some  photo shoots .  never been there but it looks fabulous for photography .. 
craigr
Administrator
Administrator

Post by craigr »

Beautiful shots. Great composition.
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 »

Thank you
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

Indeed.  Fantastic shots.  Great job.

... M
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
sixdollars

Post by sixdollars »

mathjak107 wrote: wildlife is another favorite of ours . took these saturday at the bronx zoo.  this is a nikon d7000 and nikon 18-300mm and a nikon d800 with the  nikon 70-200mm f2.8

Really great shots Mathjak! I take it photography is a hobby of yours.  Do you do expect to monetize this hobby at all in the future?
"There’s nothing wrong with Harry’s portfolio—nothing at all—but there’s everything wrong with his followers, who seem, on average, to chase performance the way dogs chase cars."

-William J. Bernstein
sixdollars

Post by sixdollars »

sixdollars wrote:
mathjak107 wrote: wildlife is another favorite of ours . took these saturday at the bronx zoo.  this is a nikon d7000 and nikon 18-300mm and a nikon d800 with the  nikon 70-200mm f2.8

Really great shots Mathjak! I take it photography is a hobby of yours.  Do you expect to monetize this hobby at all in the future?
"There’s nothing wrong with Harry’s portfolio—nothing at all—but there’s everything wrong with his followers, who seem, on average, to chase performance the way dogs chase cars."

-William J. Bernstein
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 »

it is a passion for my wife and i .

we sell quite a few photo's from our website  and do some work once in a while for some business's websites .

the bad thing about both of us being in to it is we have to buy 2 of everything .

the other problem is we have no adult supervision .

when we both had jobs there was no one to say nooooo don't buy that .  we are a little more disciplined in retirement but we were so bad together prior .

it wasn't a normal situation where a wife would say if you dare buy that 2,000 buck lens  i will kill you .  nope , she would just go if you get one i get one .

over on the city-data website i won 5k  in their most informed poster contest  .

we went to the camera store , bought all new gear and spent 10k.

the store owner thought we had a stolen credit card so he called the bank to have them verify with the card owner , they called us on the cell in the store and asked if we were actually buying all that stuff .
Last edited by mathjak107 on Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Can you give your web site here or privately?

Thanks

Vinny
mathjak107 wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:02 am it is a passion for my wife and i .

we sell quite a few photo's from our website  and do some work once in a while for some business's websites .

the bad thing about both of us being in to it is we have to buy 2 of everything .

the other problem is we have no adult supervision .

when we both had jobs there was no one to say nooooo don't buy that .  we are a little more disciplined in retirement but we were so bad together prior .

it wasn't a normal situation where a wife would say if you dare buy that 2,000 buck lens  i will kill you .  nope , she would just go if you get one i get one .

over on the city-data website i won 5k  in their most informed poster contest  .

we went to the camera store , bought all new gear and spent 10k.

the store owner thought we had a stolen credit card so he called the bank to have them verify with the card owner , they called us on the cell in the store and asked if we were actually buying all that stuff .
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

I worship pet house cats. Therefore, due to that and the absolute clarity of the picture, the last one in this series is my runaway favorite. But all the others are also excellent.

Vinny
mathjak107 wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:51 pm wildlife is another favorite of ours . took these saturday at the bronx zoo.  this is a nikon d7000 and nikon 18-300mm and a nikon d800 with the  nikon 70-200mm f2.8

Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
jacksonm2

Post by jacksonm2 »

Those photos are truly awesome. Glad to see you have a real talent to explore in your retirement years and that you are obviously enjoying it.

Haven't found one myself yet but maybe I haven't looked hard enough. I was an excellent computer programmer when I retired a few years ago but so far the only one I've found that I can really get into is drinking beer while surfing websites like this one and occasionally posting something that I hope makes at least a bit of sense to someone.

mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 »

Thanks