Iron is Toxic, Very Toxic -- Avoid At All Costs!

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Gumby
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Iron is Toxic, Very Toxic -- Avoid At All Costs!

Post by Gumby »

Also.. few people seem to realize that Durum wheat is an "ancient" wheat. So, if you really bought into the weak "modern" wheat theory, you shouldn't have any problem with non-adultured and non-enriched 100% Durum wheat—that is commonly found in European or homemade pastas:
Wikipedia: Durum Wheat

Durum wheat, pasta wheat or macaroni wheat (Triticum durum or Triticum turgidum subsp. durum) is the only tetraploid species of wheat of commercial importance that is widely cultivated today. It was developed by artificial selection of the domesticated emmer wheat strains formerly grown in Central Europe and the Near East around 7000 BC, which developed a naked, free-threshing form. Like emmer, durum wheat is awned.
Yes, today's pasta is made with an "ancient" wheat. Yet today, many people have problems with it. It's another example of a fallacy from Dr. Davis and his "modern" wheat hypothesis.

Given the historical texts, I suspect it's modern gut issues and adulterations/enrichments, not the wheat itself. (Antibiotics knocking out gluten-degrading flora almost certainly play a role as well).

I make a homemade whole wheat pasta (half durum semolina, half modern whole wheat). No issues. But, again, it took me a few weeks to (re)assimilate to wheat.
Last edited by Gumby on Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing I say should be construed as advice or expertise. I am only sharing opinions which may or may not be applicable in any given case.
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick »

Do you make your own bread, Gumby? I'd love to hear some good recipes using this old fashioned wheat.
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
Gumby
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Gumby »

Pointedstick wrote: Do you make your own bread, Gumby? I'd love to hear some good recipes using this old fashioned wheat.
I wish I did! I have no idea how to. I'm lucky to have a good bakery nearby! I could use some tips on how to get started. Don't have a ton of time right now, but I'd love to try sometime.
Nothing I say should be construed as advice or expertise. I am only sharing opinions which may or may not be applicable in any given case.
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 »

Gumby,

So in summary:

1) What are the main fundamental reasons one should eat grains when we can get resistant starch and micronutrients from other sources?

2) I have NEVER heard anyone claim gluten is healthy... just not harmful.  I'd be curious to hear what good they think it does for us.  Are you saying that anyone who is touting gluten as problematic (including Kresser) is likely wrong?

3) What about other problems with grains... high omega 6 fat ratios?  Lectins?  Why not just eat potatoes, rice and vegetables and avoid those problems, or are we now confident those are NOT problems?

4) If omega 6 fats are not a problem, does this debunk the negatives of seed/vegetable oils and grain-fed beef?

Sorry to bombard... I hate when I have to relearn stuff. :)
"Men did not make the earth. It is the value of the improvements only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property. Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds."

- Thomas Paine
jafs
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jafs »

For vegetarians that don't want to eat a lot of cheese, or vegans, whole grains combined with legumes are an important source to get complete protein.

I've been a vegetarian for about 30 years, and sometime vegan.  I supplement my diet with flaxseed oil and other vitamins/minerals to make sure I'm getting everything I need (b-12 isn't very common, for example).

Over the last couple of years, I cut out dairy from my diet again.  I've lost weight, and all of my lab work was excellent at the doctor's office.  I've also been exercising more, and not getting as many appetizers when we eat out.
Gumby
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Gumby »

moda0306 wrote: 1) What are the main fundamental reasons one should eat grains when we can get resistant starch and micronutrients from other sources?
There is no requirement to eat grains. You can do well without them—it's just a little more challenging (i.e. eating lots of potatoes and greenish bananas). For instance, when I was avoiding grains I often found that I had to really think about what I was eating to get 40g of fiber (unless I made beans, but I was too lazy). With whole grains you really don't need to think about it as much. You just eat your grains and a few other whole foods and it's pretty easy.

If you read the study I had posted (with the large graphic above) you'll see that whole grains are hypothesized to be a "package" of healthy properties that appear work in combination with each other. I think they are on to something.

Rice is a grain and even high white rice diets (Pritiken or Kempner) are actually documented to promote the exact same health benefits as high doses of RS. White rice has zero nutrition, but it does have RS when cooked/cooled.
Tim Steele wrote:RS: F.A.Q.
Q. How much RS if all I eat is rice?

A.  Cooked and cooled rice has about 5% RS by cooked weight. If you eat, say, 500g per day (about a pound) you'd be getting roughly 25g of RS -- 10X the national average. Hot, fresh cooked rice contains 0-1g, so you do the math there.
I never eat fresh cooked rice any more, I always get the Uncle Ben's Original Converted kind, cook it, freeze it, thaw, then stir-frying in a tiny bit of hot oil. The latter method really brings out the RS as it has a drying function, and results in rice that is roughly 15% RS.
So in the simplest terms, grains are an easy and good source of RS and other phytonutrients.
moda0306 wrote: 2) I have NEVER heard anyone claim gluten is healthy... just not harmful.  I'd be curious to hear what good they think it does for us.
I don't actually know why gluten would ever be considered healthy. The point is that they did believe it (right or wrong), for whatever reason and it certainly wasn't considered harmful to them.

For instance, even 6th century Chinese added isolated wheat gluten to their foods:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheat_glu ... d)#Chinese

You'd think someone would have noticed this was problematic and written about it if it was so harmful. In all my research I have yet to find any historical literature warning about wheat. It does not exist as far as I know. So something is not adding up.
moda0306 wrote:Are you saying that anyone who is touting gluten as problematic (including Kresser) is likely wrong?
Partially, yes. I have no doubt whatsoever that gluten is problematic for some people (whether it be from genetic or dyspeptic issues). But there is no research saying that gluten is problematic for everyone. To say otherwise is pure speculation as far as I can tell.
moda0306 wrote:3) What about other problems with grains... high omega 6 fat ratios?
As far as I can tell, there isn't much evidence linking different omega ratios from whole foods to health. It seems to make no difference of your omega ratios, so long as you eat whole foods (drinking rancid corn oil is a different story). Most of the research showing benefits for omega-3s come from Arctic Inuit studies, but recent research shows that those Eskimos have highly unique Omega-3 burning genes that we don't have. So, it may be that all the supposed benefits from high omega-3s are only apparent in Eskimos who can rapidly burn those fatty acids. Nobody knows.

Some cultures eat very high Omega-6 diets—see mongongo nuts, for instance. But those whole seeds or nuts tend to come with high levels of Vitamin E, which protects against oxidation. Mongongo nuts have insanely high levels of Vitamin E. See, the nut needs protection from its own oxidation in the Kalahari heat, and therefore the nut will evolve to have the components necessary to prevent oxidation. Thus, whole foods come with built-in protections. If you isolate that Omega-6 and eat it, not so good. This is why you stick to whole foods.
moda0306 wrote:Lectins?
Cooked lectins are fine and cooking destroys lectins. Don't eat raw lectins. Even Hippocrates wrote that it would be foolish to eat raw wheat.

Secondly, have a look at this, about the supposedly toxic WGA lectin:
Pellegrina et al wrote:‘Indeed, experimental work carried out in vivo has shown that within a huge range of concentrations WGA is non-toxic, its toxicity for the normal gastrointestinal tract occurring at doses much higher (7 g WGA/kg bodyweight over a 10-day period) than those ingested in a regular human diet ([Pusztai et al., 1993] and [Dalla Pellegrina et al., 2005]).’

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19332085
The paper continues:
Pellegrina et al wrote:‘Within this concentration range, however, WGA is cytotoxic for human colon cancer cells (Pusztai et al., 1993).’
Sounds like WGA might be rather good for you, don’t you think?
moda0306 wrote:Why not just eat potatoes, rice and vegetables and avoid those problems, or are we now confident those are NOT problems?
'Cos it's boring, probably unnecessary, and whole grains are a very easy way to get beneficial phytonutrients and fiber. Also, rice is a grain. :)
moda0306 wrote:If omega 6 fats are not a problem, does this debunk the negatives of seed/vegetable oils and grain-fed beef?
Isolated seed oils would be problematic because the fats would oxidize without the presence of co-factors like Vitamin E, for instance. All those co-factors—that keep everything in balance—are found in the whole seed, not the isolated oils. Plus, the oils are already oxidized by the time they go into the bottle at the industrial plant.

Grass-fed beef may be better due to a more natural diet, maybe a leaner animal, and perhaps less chance for tampering with diet (antibiotics and what have you) but there really isn't any reliable research saying that grass-fed beef provides health benefits, afaik.
Last edited by Gumby on Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
goodasgold
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by goodasgold »

Welcome back, Gumby! My faith in (terrestrial) resurrection has been restored.

I have to confess I don't know much about nutrition and health, but I hope you will contribute more to the  finance-related threads here on the PP board, as I think you are one of the best-informed folks around. Good financial nutrition is important, too....  8)
Gumby
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Gumby »

I'd also point out that even compounds like phytic acid—what we here once feared as being an "anti-nutrient" is now known to have beneficial health properties. It may be related to the fact that phytic acid is believed to chelate excess "free" iron in the bloodstream and tissues.
A. Fardet wrote:New hypotheses for the health-protective mechanisms of whole-grain cereals: what is beyond fibre?

"The involvement of polyphenols in cell signalling and gene regulation, and of sulfur compounds, lignin and phytic acid should be considered in antioxidant protection...

...The high phytic acid content of whole-grain cereals (up to 6 % in wheat bran) has led to questions about whether the anti- cancer activity of wheat bran should be attributed more to phytic acid than to dietary fibre (69,92) . Indeed, pure phytic acid is more efficient at reducing the incidence and multiplicity of mammary tumours in rats than is the bran fraction...Another antioxidant mechanism involves phytic acid, which can chelate Fe and thus stop the Fenton reaction producing the highly oxidative and damaging free radical OH, ultimately reducing lipid peroxidation...

...Whole-grain cereals as a source of phytic acid and lignins . Phytic acid from whole-grain cereals has long been considered to be nutritionally negative, since it chelates minerals such as Zn, Fe, Ca and/or Mg, thus limiting their intestinal bioavailability. This has been used as an argument for using refined flours instead of wholemeal wheat flours. However, phytic acid is also a strong antioxidant in vitro (218) , and may reach 6 % in the bran of certain wheat varieties (Table 2). It therefore needs to be determined whether the negative effect of phytic acid on mineral assimilation can be offset by its antioxidant activity and the high content in minerals of whole-grain wheat. Today, the answer to this is undoubtedly ‘yes’. First, the quantity of mineral chelated by phytic acid is apparently not high enough compared with the much greater quantity in whole-grain cereals compared with refined ones. Rats fed whole-wheat flour absorbed more minerals than rats fed white wheat flour (219) . Besides, baking bread according to a sourdough procedure can activate endogenous phytases and lower the pH, thus limiting the chelation of minerals by phytic acid. Second, it is now known that phytic acid can chelate Fe, thus limiting the damage due to the Fenton reaction leading to the production of the very reactive free radical OH. Third, the phytate in whole grain is accompanied by other bioactive compounds that are lost during refining. Phytic acid is therefore a serious candidate as a whole-grain cereal antioxidant acting in vivo"
...and...
A. Fardet wrote:"The authors suggest that the antioxidant polyphenols survive digestion in the small intestine because most of them are bound to fibre (for example, esterification of phenolic acids to arabinoxylans) in the cereal food matrix. They reach the colon where the fibre is fermented and some of the antioxidants are released (150) . Vitaglione et al. hypothesised ‘the slow and continuous release in the gut of the dietary fibre bound antioxidants’, such as that of ferulic acid, which will determine the effects of these antioxidants, and considered dietary fibre to be a ‘natural functional ingredient to deliver phenolic compounds into the gut’ (150) . For example, only 0·5 – 5 % of the ferulic acid is absorbed within the small intestine, mainly the soluble free fraction (152 – 154) , and this typical whole-grain wheat phenolic acid (about 90 % of total phenolic acids) would probably exert a major action in the protection of the colon from cancer. Thus, bound antioxidant phenolic acids might act along the whole length of the digestive tract by trapping oxidative compounds. This fraction of bound polyphenols has often led to an important underestimation of the real antioxidant capacity of whole-grain cereals"
Again, you can do quite well without grains, albeit with a little work. It's just that whole grains make it all pretty easy and they seem to be more complex than we originally thought (i.e. not just a bundle of cheap energy and anti-nutrients). As the title of the study suggests... this is now about trying to determine and hypothesize what's beyond the fiber.
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick »

Now you're going to tell us that coconut oil is bad too! Say it ain't so!
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
Gumby
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Gumby »

goodasgold wrote:I hope you will contribute more to the  finance-related threads here on the PP board, as I think you are one of the best-informed folks around. Good financial nutrition is important, too....  8)
Thanks goodasgold. I'd love to, but I've just lost interest in economics for the time being. I found that the field was all full of misinformation and misunderstandings and we barely understand what amounts to nothing more an abstraction.
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick »

Can we tempt you with some Donald Trump? ;D ;D
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
Gumby
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Gumby »

Pointedstick wrote: Now you're going to tell us that coconut oil is bad too! Say it ain't so!
I don't use coconut oil anymore. I prefer butter. It occurred to me that the low carb and anti-grain movement was built on bullshit when they told us that gluten was bad because it supposedly promoted intestinal permeability, through zonulin production, every time you ate gluten. While it's true that the gut will become temporarily permeable when you eat gluten (likely a normal response, but celiacs are known to have exaggerated responses during this reaction with gluten) it turns out that the exact same phenomenon is well known to happen when you eat coconut or MCT oils.

Which proves that the gluten intestinal permeability scaremongering from low carbers and anti-grain advocates was total bullshit because their recommendations was to eat coconut oil and MCT oil that does the exact same thing.
Gumby
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Gumby »

Pointedstick wrote: Can we tempt you with some Donald Trump? ;D ;D
Hah.. no thanks. :)
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick »

Gumby wrote:
Pointedstick wrote: Now you're going to tell us that coconut oil is bad too! Say it ain't so!
I don't use coconut oil anymore. I prefer butter. It occurred to me that the low carb and anti-grain movement was built on bullshit when they told us that gluten was bad because it supposedly promoted intestinal permeability, through zonulin production, every time you ate gluten. While it's true that the gut will become temporarily permeable when you eat gluten (likely a normal response, but celiacs are known to have exaggerated responses during this reaction with gluten) it turns out that the exact same phenomenon is well known to happen when you eat coconut or MCT oils.

Which proves that the gluten intestinal permeability scaremongering from low carbers and anti-grain advocates was total bullshit because their recommendations was to eat coconut oil and MCT oil that does the exact same thing.
Hah, yikes! So… is this a good thing or a bad thing? Or is preferring butter more of a "whole foods vs processed foods" thing? I do really like the nice bright yellow imported Irish Kerrygold butter that Costco sells. Hopefully if Trump slaps a 35% tariff on it, they'll sell some American equivalent soon enough because I'm not sure my land is fertile enough for a cow to make my own! Although maybe all their poop would help with that. My mother in law turned her desert backyard into a little rich soil oasis with chicken shit, literally. The eggs and meat were amazing, too.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
Gumby
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Gumby »

Pointedstick wrote: Hah, yikes! So… is this a good thing or a bad thing? Or is preferring butter more of a "whole foods vs processed foods" thing? I do really like the nice bright yellow imported Irish Kerrygold butter that Costco sells.
I kinda doubt the short temporary intestinal permeability is a bad thing. It's likely a normal response to promote oral tolerance of whatever you're ingesting.
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 »

Well everyone likes butter better than coconut oil!! :)

Is it healthier though?  Is everyone touting the benefits of coconut oil (something about MCT's right) really full of it?

It sounds like I have to brush a LOT of people I trust under the rug and quit trusting them. 

And how are grains "easy" if so many of our options are really refined and fortified?  Sounds like they're anything but easy, unless we find some obscure source for them.  I find rice and potatoes to be pretty easy.

But after checking, I do realize I'm way behind 40g of fiber every day. 
"Men did not make the earth. It is the value of the improvements only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property. Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds."

- Thomas Paine
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick »

Yeah I don't think I have any reasonably close-by sources of high quality bread either. Maybe in some artisanal bakery 15 miles away on the other side of town for $10 a loaf… no thanks. I'm going to get a whole bunch of wheat berries and make my own whole grain flour and see if I can finagle some decent bread out of it.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
jafs
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jafs »

moda0306 wrote: Well everyone likes butter better than coconut oil!! :)

Is it healthier though?  Is everyone touting the benefits of coconut oil (something about MCT's right) really full of it?

It sounds like I have to brush a LOT of people I trust under the rug and quit trusting them. 

And how are grains "easy" if so many of our options are really refined and fortified?  Sounds like they're anything but easy, unless we find some obscure source for them.  I find rice and potatoes to be pretty easy.

But after checking, I do realize I'm way behind 40g of fiber every day.
\
Any decent health food store should have a variety of whole grains.

Even major grocery stores have more of that - I can get whole wheat pasta at Dillon's, and they even have a store brand version.
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 »

jafs,

But how do I know if that's not the fortified/refined crap he's talking about? 

- Thomas Paine
jafs
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jafs »

Whole wheat, by definition, isn't a refined product.

It's a whole grain.

Check the label - the stuff I get says something like 100% whole wheat flour.
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick »

jafs wrote: Whole wheat, by definition, isn't a refined product.

It's a whole grain.

Check the label - the stuff I get says something like 100% whole wheat flour.
What Gumby said is that a lot of whole wheat flour is actually refined wheat with nutrients and supplements added back in to (supposedly) restore it to the nutritional level of the original. In other words, "whole wheat flour" is not actually legally required to be "whole wheat" but rather can be "flour from wheat that started off whole wheat but was then refined into white flour and than had some minerals and nutrients added back in to make it pretty close to what would be whole wheat flour if it hadn't been refined in this manner."

In other words, you can't trust the label.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
Gumby
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Gumby »

moda0306 wrote:Is it healthier though?  Is everyone touting the benefits of coconut oil (something about MCT's right) really full of it?
Well, I doubt either fat is problematic in low quantities. The reason the low carb community is so choosey about their fats is because they have to eat a lot. If you think about it, if there are only three macronutrients, and you don't eat carbs, then you have no choice but to eat a lot of fat since there's only so much protein you can eat. It's unchartered territories though—virtually every rodent study to induce chronic diseases uses a "High Fat Diet" (HFD) and it makes their reasonings seem rather murky when the bulk of the scientific literature is considered.
moda0306 wrote:It sounds like I have to brush a LOT of people I trust under the rug and quit trusting them.
I know. Though many of them still have good things to offer. You just have to consider that perhaps some have low carb or anti-grain agendas that are often either based on clinical practice with sick people or sometimes their agendas are based on some fallacies. I had to come to that realization too. My feeling is that the official recommendations are generally correct except for the parts corrupted by lobbyists (i.e. nobody recommends refined grains, but you should ignore any references to enriched grains being healthy).
moda0306 wrote:And how are grains "easy" if so many of our options are really refined and fortified?  Sounds like they're anything but easy, unless we find some obscure source for them.  I find rice and potatoes to be pretty easy.
It's easy. Go to the supermarket and look for whole grain durum pasta. Or look for "Community Grains" brand pasta (it's awesome). Or look for farro (often sold in bulk at whole foods and can be made in a risotto-like dish). Farro is the ancient spelt wheat. Or look for oats. Or amaranth, or chia, or beans. There are at least 10 different ancient grains available in every supermarket. Bob's Red Mill sells them all—even available in Walmart. If you want real wheat it gets a little trickier. Order from a gristmill (gristmill wheat is available via mail-order or in some Whole Foods, particularly in the Northeast). Find an organic bakery that makes 100% whole wheat bread with quality flour. If you can't find one, go to your freezer section of the supermarket and look for Berlin Bakery whole grain bread or Alvarado Street Bakery bread, which is also sold at Trader Joe's under their own brand. Or buy any whole grain bread made with ground wheat berries. They are often frozen and therefore already have a bit more fiber than is on the label due to RS3 getting formed.
Gumby
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Gumby »

Pointedstick wrote: What Gumby said is that a lot of whole wheat flour is actually refined wheat with nutrients and supplements added back in to (supposedly) restore it to the nutritional level of the original. In other words, "whole wheat flour" is not actually legally required to be "whole wheat" but rather can be "flour from wheat that started off whole wheat but was then refined into white flour and than had some minerals and nutrients added back in to make it pretty close to what would be whole wheat flour if it hadn't been refined in this manner."

In other words, you can't trust the label.
You might have misunderstood me. If you can't find real wheat, mass-produced whole wheat is probably fine. I always eat the low quality whole wheat when I'm out of the house and I have no issues. I just eat the best wheat I can find at home.

By FDA ruling, whole wheat cannot have supplementation added to it. What they do is they create a very pure white flour, through lots of industrial processing and apparently fumigating (even when labeled "not bleached"), the bran, the kernel and its oil are separated out to make the pure white flour. Then they take the bran and add it back in. It's not "real" whole wheat, it's reconstituted wheat, but it's much better than enriched white bread.

Again, they are not allowed to add supplementation even to the low quality whole wheat (the nutrient level would be above the acceptable level if they did). So, low quality whole wheat is an easy way to avoid enrichments if you want to eat flour. You just have to keep in mind that it should ideally be 100% whole wheat as many "whole wheat" breads are actually a mix of enriched flour and whole wheat flour, even in many bakeries. 100% whole wheat is the only way to really avoid enrichments.

While I believe that mass-produced whole wheat is totally fine for occasional consumption, the main problem beyond the intense processing is that there are no regulations testing to see if the manufacturers add the oils back in. We know they add the bran back in, and by non-binding regulation they are supposed to add the oils back in, but nobody checks to see if they do and the New York Times reports that there are anecdotes from milling employees who claim it's common for them to throw out the oils because they will make the final product rancid if it sits on the shelf too long.

See this great article:

NYTimes: Bread is Broken
NYTimes: Bread is Broken

It’s also unclear how industrial mills add back the oily germ without significantly shortening shelf life, a topic they are hesitant to discuss. David Killilea, a nutrition scientist at the Children’s Hospital Oakland Research Institute in California, says big mills might deactivate the living germ by steaming it or exposing it to gamma rays. In Michael Pollan’s most recent book, ‘‘Cooked,’’ one former General Mills employee confesses that the germ was thrown out because it was too much trouble. Killilea and his colleagues are currently developing a test to determine the proportions of endosperm, germ and bran in an anonymous sample of flour, which could bring transparency to the murky practices of industrial mills.
That quote certainly doesn't make me want to eat industrial whole wheat. But, I do it anyway when I'm out because I think it's still better than white bread and the fiber likely outweighs any harm that comes from occasionally eating it.

Again, I'd stick with real whole wheat flour at home and not worry about it out of the house.
Last edited by Gumby on Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jafs
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jafs »

I didn't know about this problem.

It looks like if you get "stone ground" whole wheat flour, it's not an issue, and it's the "roller mill" process that chops up the wheat and reassembles it.  You can get stone ground whole wheat flour at every health food store I've ever seen.

I wonder if there's a way to find out if the flour in the ww pasta I get has been roller milled - maybe I'll call Kroger's and ask.

Drag - I hate learning about stuff like this, which makes it harder and probably more expensive to eat healthfully!
Gumby
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Gumby »

jafs wrote: I didn't know about this problem.

It looks like if you get "stone ground" whole wheat flour, it's not an issue, and it's the "roller mill" process that chops up the wheat and reassembles it.  You can get stone ground whole wheat flour at every health food store I've ever seen.

I wonder if there's a way to find out if the flour in the ww pasta I get has been roller milled - maybe I'll call Kroger's and ask.

Drag - I hate learning about stuff like this, which makes it harder and probably more expensive to eat healthfully!
Yes, go for the stoneground. I'm not sure if there are any regulations on that word, but it's preferable for sure. But again, the regular industrial whole wheat is generally ok for occasional use and not to be feared. The fewer ingredients the better.

The FDA's nonbinding guidance says anything labeled "100 percent whole grain" must contain all three components of the original wheat seed, in proportion. As we saw in the NYTimes article, above, it's an honor system and few probably follow it. Fine to eat in restaurants, but find the best you can for your staples.

The regulatory gap opened up the creation of the industry-sponsored Whole Grain Council. The council issues a certifying stamp in two forms: 100 percent and Basic. One hundred percent means all grains are whole. But the more prevalent Basic stamp allows refined grains and disproportionate additions of bran or germ.

I'd imagine whole grain breads are a better daily staple than pasta. The fermentation process breaks down many of the compounds so that they are a bit easier to assimilate. Also it was not just wheat but breads in particular that were considered to be one of the healthiest foods in the historical literature (yes, I know it's hard to believe). There's probably a reason why we crave the smell of a good real bread. I eat whole grain pasta maybe two or three times a week. Lots of options in that department. Making whole grain pizza is quite fun too, tastes awesome and is fun for the family. Nothing like saving a few bucks on pizza night. :)
Last edited by Gumby on Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.