Page 1 of 4

Statins and Arthritis

Posted: Fri May 15, 2015 5:18 pm
by madbean
After resisting being put on statins for quite a few years and being fired by two different doctors, I decided I would go ahead and humor my latest doctor for a while. Just got my first blood test and my bad cholesterol was cut in half which is nice to know, but it's just a number and I didn't come out dancing like the lady in the Crestor commercials.

But I was just noticing today how much improved the arthritis in my neck and spine seems to be. So I did some googling and now I'm thinking I shouldn't have been so stubborn all those years....

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/hea ... nt-disease

Re: Statins and Arthritis

Posted: Fri May 15, 2015 5:51 pm
by MachineGhost
Statins have potent anti-inflammatory action.

But statins also have very potent action in inducing muscle destruction and cognitive heart failure by depleting your CoQ10.

And that's on top of the numerous diseases you'll eventually acquire from chronic cholesterol defenciency.  Like say, dementia.  Your brain is 25% cholesterol by weight.

Not to mention that statins don't improve cardiovascular outcomes, unless you already had a heart attack (i.e. fucked up already from terrible diet and lifestyle, so literally anything at that point would minorly help).  That's because statins "work" by throwing the proverbial baby out with the bathwater.  Oops.

Why don't you try a baby aspirin every day or a full aspirin dose once a week if you need some anti-inflammatory action?  There's also many herbal extracts that you can take that are much safer than statins or aspirin as well.

If doctors fire you because you won't be a tool and destroy your life from the side effects all so they can get their kickbacks, then fuck them.  Don't rationalize it because it'll be way too late once you're irreversibly damaged.  Do you think the C-suite executives at Big Pharma will care about your plight?  They're laughing all the way to the bank on their seven-figure salaries.

So get real.

Re: Statins and Arthritis

Posted: Fri May 15, 2015 6:00 pm
by Pointedstick
MachineGhost wrote: If doctors fire you because you won't be a tool and destroy your life from the side effects all so they can get their kickbacks, then fuck them.  Don't rationalize it because it'll be way too late once you're irreversibly damaged.  Do you think the C-suite executives at Big Pharma will care about your plight?  They're laughing all the way to the bank on their seven-figure salaries.

So get real.
Tell us how you really feel, MG! ;D Welcome back.

Re: Statins and Arthritis

Posted: Fri May 15, 2015 7:03 pm
by madbean
MachineGhost wrote: So get real.
Okay, I will. What are your real credentials for giving this advice?

Re: Statins and Arthritis

Posted: Fri May 15, 2015 7:37 pm
by MachineGhost
madbean wrote: Okay, I will. What are your real credentials for giving this advice?
Continuing Education (not sponsored by Big Pharma).

Re: Statins and Arthritis

Posted: Mon May 18, 2015 9:40 am
by Libertarian666
MachineGhost wrote: Statins have potent anti-inflammatory action.

But statins also have very potent action in inducing muscle destruction and cognitive heart failure by depleting your CoQ10.

And that's on top of the numerous diseases you'll eventually acquire from chronic cholesterol defenciency.  Like say, dementia.  Your brain is 25% cholesterol by weight.

Not to mention that statins don't improve cardiovascular outcomes, unless you already had a heart attack (i.e. fucked up already from terrible diet and lifestyle, so literally anything at that point would minorly help).  That's because statins "work" by throwing the proverbial baby out with the bathwater.  Oops.

Why don't you try a baby aspirin every day or a full aspirin dose once a week if you need some anti-inflammatory action?  There's also many herbal extracts that you can take that are much safer than statins or aspirin as well.

If doctors fire you because you won't be a tool and destroy your life from the side effects all so they can get their kickbacks, then fuck them.  Don't rationalize it because it'll be way too late once you're irreversibly damaged.  Do you think the C-suite executives at Big Pharma will care about your plight?  They're laughing all the way to the bank on their seven-figure salaries.

So get real.
I'm not sure what "cognitive heart failure" is, but other than that you're right on the money. Statins are the "killer app" of the pharmaceutical-industrial complex.

Re: Statins and Arthritis

Posted: Mon May 18, 2015 12:25 pm
by dualstow
I have no doubt that I'll be on statins someday, but of course that's for medical professionals to help decide. For now, I don't need any medication and will be satisfied with oyster mushrooms.
Libertarian666 wrote:
MachineGhost wrote: But statins also have very potent action in inducing muscle destruction and cognitive heart failure by depleting your CoQ10.
I'm not sure what "cognitive heart failure" is,
I think it's the other side of the coin of when your head is ruled by your heart. ;-)

Re: Statins and Arthritis

Posted: Mon May 18, 2015 12:37 pm
by Reub
So you've changed your opinion on aspirin,  MG?

Re: Statins and Arthritis

Posted: Mon May 18, 2015 12:59 pm
by Benko
MachineGhost wrote: Why don't you try a baby aspirin every day or a full aspirin dose once a week if you need some anti-inflammatory action? 
how about EPA predominant fish oil, or curcumin, or boswellia or..... depending on where the inflammation is.  Or if near the skin the magic chinese linament is great (type Zheng Gui Shui into amazon's search engine for zillions of reviews or buy at local chinese medical practitioner).

Re: Statins and Arthritis

Posted: Mon May 18, 2015 6:49 pm
by WildAboutHarry
[quote=MachineGhost]Your brain is 25% cholesterol by weight[/quote]

And of course cholesterol is a precursor to testosterone.

Re: Statins and Arthritis

Posted: Tue May 19, 2015 4:45 am
by Pet Hog
WildAboutHarry wrote:
MachineGhost wrote:Your brain is 25% cholesterol by weight
And of course cholesterol is a precursor to testosterone.
That number didn't seem right to me.  According to wikipedia, the total amount of cholesterol in a 150-lb man is 35 g.  If it was all located in his grey matter, 25% cholesterol would imply a brain weight of just 140 g.  A typical brain weighs about ten times as much.  I think MG meant to say that 25% of all cholesterol in the human body is found in the brain.  So, about 10 g of cholesterol in the brain, or less that 1% by weight.  Here endeth the lesson.

Re: Statins and Arthritis

Posted: Tue May 19, 2015 6:32 am
by WildAboutHarry
[quote='Pet Hog']That number didn't seem right to me.  According to wikipedia, the total amount of cholesterol in a 150-lb man is 35 g.  If it was all located in his grey matter, 25% cholesterol would imply a brain weight of just 140 g.  A typical brain weighs about ten times as much.  I think MG meant to say that 25% of all cholesterol in the human body is found in the brain.  So, about 10 g of cholesterol in the brain, or less that 1% by weight.  Here endeth the lesson.[/quote]

Of course some would argue that, depending on how much of that cholesterol gets funneled into testosterone production, a 140g brain might be the right number  :)