Statins and Arthritis

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

madbean
Executive Member
Executive Member

Statins and Arthritis

Post by madbean » Fri May 15, 2015 5:18 pm

After resisting being put on statins for quite a few years and being fired by two different doctors, I decided I would go ahead and humor my latest doctor for a while. Just got my first blood test and my bad cholesterol was cut in half which is nice to know, but it's just a number and I didn't come out dancing like the lady in the Crestor commercials.

But I was just noticing today how much improved the arthritis in my neck and spine seems to be. So I did some googling and now I'm thinking I shouldn't have been so stubborn all those years....

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/hea ... nt-disease
Last edited by madbean on Fri May 15, 2015 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Statins and Arthritis

Post by MachineGhost » Fri May 15, 2015 5:51 pm

Statins have potent anti-inflammatory action.

But statins also have very potent action in inducing muscle destruction and cognitive heart failure by depleting your CoQ10.

And that's on top of the numerous diseases you'll eventually acquire from chronic cholesterol defenciency.  Like say, dementia.  Your brain is 25% cholesterol by weight.

Not to mention that statins don't improve cardiovascular outcomes, unless you already had a heart attack (i.e. fucked up already from terrible diet and lifestyle, so literally anything at that point would minorly help).  That's because statins "work" by throwing the proverbial baby out with the bathwater.  Oops.

Why don't you try a baby aspirin every day or a full aspirin dose once a week if you need some anti-inflammatory action?  There's also many herbal extracts that you can take that are much safer than statins or aspirin as well.

If doctors fire you because you won't be a tool and destroy your life from the side effects all so they can get their kickbacks, then fuck them.  Don't rationalize it because it'll be way too late once you're irreversibly damaged.  Do you think the C-suite executives at Big Pharma will care about your plight?  They're laughing all the way to the bank on their seven-figure salaries.

So get real.
Last edited by MachineGhost on Fri May 15, 2015 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick » Fri May 15, 2015 6:00 pm

MachineGhost wrote: If doctors fire you because you won't be a tool and destroy your life from the side effects all so they can get their kickbacks, then fuck them.  Don't rationalize it because it'll be way too late once you're irreversibly damaged.  Do you think the C-suite executives at Big Pharma will care about your plight?  They're laughing all the way to the bank on their seven-figure salaries.

So get real.
Tell us how you really feel, MG! ;D Welcome back.
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
madbean
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by madbean » Fri May 15, 2015 7:03 pm

MachineGhost wrote: So get real.
Okay, I will. What are your real credentials for giving this advice?
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Fri May 15, 2015 7:37 pm

madbean wrote: Okay, I will. What are your real credentials for giving this advice?
Continuing Education (not sponsored by Big Pharma).
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by technovelist » Mon May 18, 2015 9:40 am

MachineGhost wrote: Statins have potent anti-inflammatory action.

But statins also have very potent action in inducing muscle destruction and cognitive heart failure by depleting your CoQ10.

And that's on top of the numerous diseases you'll eventually acquire from chronic cholesterol defenciency.  Like say, dementia.  Your brain is 25% cholesterol by weight.

Not to mention that statins don't improve cardiovascular outcomes, unless you already had a heart attack (i.e. fucked up already from terrible diet and lifestyle, so literally anything at that point would minorly help).  That's because statins "work" by throwing the proverbial baby out with the bathwater.  Oops.

Why don't you try a baby aspirin every day or a full aspirin dose once a week if you need some anti-inflammatory action?  There's also many herbal extracts that you can take that are much safer than statins or aspirin as well.

If doctors fire you because you won't be a tool and destroy your life from the side effects all so they can get their kickbacks, then fuck them.  Don't rationalize it because it'll be way too late once you're irreversibly damaged.  Do you think the C-suite executives at Big Pharma will care about your plight?  They're laughing all the way to the bank on their seven-figure salaries.

So get real.
I'm not sure what "cognitive heart failure" is, but other than that you're right on the money. Statins are the "killer app" of the pharmaceutical-industrial complex.
Another nod to the most beautiful equation: e + 1 = 0
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon May 18, 2015 12:25 pm

I have no doubt that I'll be on statins someday, but of course that's for medical professionals to help decide. For now, I don't need any medication and will be satisfied with oyster mushrooms.
technovelist wrote:
MachineGhost wrote: But statins also have very potent action in inducing muscle destruction and cognitive heart failure by depleting your CoQ10.
I'm not sure what "cognitive heart failure" is,
I think it's the other side of the coin of when your head is ruled by your heart. ;-)
Apple Security Head Charged With Offering Bribe for Gun Licenses - Bloomberg
Robin DiAngelo, author of ‘White Fragility’, paid more for speaking engagement than black counterparts. — FreeBeacon dot com
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub » Mon May 18, 2015 12:37 pm

So you've changed your opinion on aspirin,  MG?
Benko
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Benko » Mon May 18, 2015 12:59 pm

MachineGhost wrote: Why don't you try a baby aspirin every day or a full aspirin dose once a week if you need some anti-inflammatory action? 
how about EPA predominant fish oil, or curcumin, or boswellia or..... depending on where the inflammation is.  Or if near the skin the magic chinese linament is great (type Zheng Gui Shui into amazon's search engine for zillions of reviews or buy at local chinese medical practitioner).
It was good being the party of Robin Hood. Until they morphed into the Sheriff of Nottingham
WildAboutHarry
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WildAboutHarry » Mon May 18, 2015 6:49 pm

[quote=MachineGhost]Your brain is 25% cholesterol by weight[/quote]

And of course cholesterol is a precursor to testosterone.
It is the settled policy of America, that as peace is better than war, war is better than tribute.  The United States, while they wish for war with no nation, will buy peace with none"  James Madison
Pet Hog
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pet Hog » Tue May 19, 2015 4:45 am

WildAboutHarry wrote:
MachineGhost wrote:Your brain is 25% cholesterol by weight
And of course cholesterol is a precursor to testosterone.
That number didn't seem right to me.  According to wikipedia, the total amount of cholesterol in a 150-lb man is 35 g.  If it was all located in his grey matter, 25% cholesterol would imply a brain weight of just 140 g.  A typical brain weighs about ten times as much.  I think MG meant to say that 25% of all cholesterol in the human body is found in the brain.  So, about 10 g of cholesterol in the brain, or less that 1% by weight.  Here endeth the lesson.
WildAboutHarry
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WildAboutHarry » Tue May 19, 2015 6:32 am

[quote='Pet Hog']That number didn't seem right to me.  According to wikipedia, the total amount of cholesterol in a 150-lb man is 35 g.  If it was all located in his grey matter, 25% cholesterol would imply a brain weight of just 140 g.  A typical brain weighs about ten times as much.  I think MG meant to say that 25% of all cholesterol in the human body is found in the brain.  So, about 10 g of cholesterol in the brain, or less that 1% by weight.  Here endeth the lesson.[/quote]

Of course some would argue that, depending on how much of that cholesterol gets funneled into testosterone production, a 140g brain might be the right number  :)
It is the settled policy of America, that as peace is better than war, war is better than tribute.  The United States, while they wish for war with no nation, will buy peace with none"  James Madison