Oh my goodness! Can this be? (re: Banned)

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

MomTo2Boys

Oh my goodness! Can this be? (re: Banned)

Post by MomTo2Boys »

I have to pinch myself! Am I really allowed to log in and post?

For the last two weeks or so, I have been banned. I was so sad! I hadn't posted in such a long time, so I was almost certain I hadn't been banned for anything I had recently said, but I was banned nonetheless and, in addition to that, I couldn't log in as a Guest and I couldn't log in from any other device I had. Some random day a couple of weeks ago, I was banned and there was a big, huge red sign across the forum telling me I had a lifetime ban that was never set to expire. But now I can post again! I'm so happy!! It's all so random, but I'm so happy!  :)

While I was banned, I searched (in vain) for some way to contact someone from this forum to ask them if there was any way I could be un-banned. If I ever get randomly banned again (I'm in China and right now I have no VPN so I figured something had happened with my account? Maybe I'll never know why I was banned?), is there any way to contact someone with the forums to ask for help?

YAY! SO happy to be back! I missed it here. I missed you guys! 

:)
(Trying hard to not screw up handling the money that my husband and I have traded untold life-hours to earn...)
craigr
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Oh my goodness! Can this be? (re: Banned)

Post by craigr »

You weren't banned as an individual. As a forum policy we have prohibited anyone coming from a Chinese domain (*.cn domain) from registering/logging in because they are almost 100% of the time a spammer (been like that for well over a year now). It was just easier to block the entire country than to entertain the spammers and have them potentially attacking the forum with password brute forcers, etc.

So sorry about that. I will pull the *.cn ban for now to allow you to not have a problem. But if the spammers and forum abusers return from China we'll have to put the block back up again to protect the site.
Last edited by craigr on Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
MomTo2Boys

Post by MomTo2Boys »

craigr wrote: You weren't banned as an individual. As a forum policy we have prohibited anyone coming from a Chinese domain (*.cn domain) from registering/logging in because they are almost 100% of the time a spammer (been like that for well over a year now). It was just easier to block the entire country than to entertain the spammers and have them potentially attacking the forum with password brute forcers, etc.

So sorry about that. I will pull the *.cn ban for now to allow you to not have a problem. But if the spammers and forum abusers return from China we'll have to put the block back up again to protect the site.
Oh dear! Well, I understand. If anyone can tell you all about the maliciousness that can be Chinese internet hackers, it would be I, LOL. There are brand-new VPN hunter capabilities out there now and they're quite effective, which is why I have no VPN right now.

Sorry this is an issue because of me! I just have to be amazed, though, that one particular day (today) I could log in. I won't look a gift horse in the mouth, but it's so... random!

And, really? I truly understand. I LIVE HERE, so I truly understand. And I'll only be living here until this coming summer or early fall, so really - this is what I want to make quite clear to you guys...

If blocking China from being able to interact with the forums takes me down with it, then SO BE IT if it benefits the forums and protects the forums' safety. Truly. Because, really, I'll be leaving China in 6-8 months and between now and then I'm sure I'm not going to contribute anything so earth-shatteringly important that you guys need to risk the safety of the site. China is AMAZING at internet...stuff...and so you guys need to do what you need to do. And if I come here one day and find I'm banned again, I won't be upset because now I know the reason why and I will wait until we move somewhere else to interact.

Thank you for explaining! It makes me feel so better! I was worried I had either retroactively offended someone super way big time, or someone in China had used my login to behave atrociously and you guys thought that it was me. The second possibility was my biggest fear. So...

It's all good!

[p.s. It's actually really interesting that your forums aren't blocked here in China. So, SO many sites are blocked, and without a VPN I can only visit a very small amount of sites I like to visit. Probably 90% of the sites I like to visit (Facebook, Twitter, Netflix, Hulu, Pandora, ALL blogs, etc.) are blocked. How you guys aren't blocked I have no idea!]
(Trying hard to not screw up handling the money that my husband and I have traded untold life-hours to earn...)
frugal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by frugal »

Hi,

so you are living in China and managing the family money :)

Cool.

Do you like living there? What your husband do?

Regards
Live healthy, live actively and live life!
MomTo2Boys

Post by MomTo2Boys »

frugal wrote:
Do you like living there?
China, like everywhere, has its pluses and its minuses.

The pluses include:

1.) My children are safer here than in the United States. Heck, my whole family is safer in China than in the United States! No one is going to barge into a movie theater in China and shoot the place up. Likewise, no one is going to barge into my children's school and shoot the place up. I hear about the violence back in the States and it makes me not want to go back there to live right now. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE America, but gosh I hope I don't go back there to live until both my sons have graduated from high school and I no longer have to worry about school violence.

2.) The food here is to die for. "Chinese food" in America... needs the quotes I gave it. Because it's NOT Chinese food. Not even close.

3.) I love the Chinese people. No, not the hackers, but I don't see them, anyway. Chinese people are VERY curious about Americans and very friendly toward Americans and see everything Americaesque as being a net positive. They ALL want to go to America. Yes, every last one of them. I'm very glad to have gotten to know what China is like. It calms me, especially since most Americans are SO fearful of China. China couldn't conquer us if they had to; they don't want to, anyway, so there's not point in us worrying about it. I read news stories about things like that and I'm glad to be grounded in reality.

4.) Did I mention the food?

5.) I love being able to see the real China. It is changing so fast (rapid pace modernization) that the way it is now will never exist again. It is a privilege to be able to see it before it's gone forever.

6.) And also: I LIVE IN CHINA. My sons have taken Mandarin in school by native-speaking teachers. You can't top that, you know?

________

Negatives:

1.) The air. My GOD, the air. Americans cannot fathom what the air is like here. Remember the pictures on 9/11 of Ground Zero and how the air was all cloudy because the buildings had just fallen? That's the air almost every day here in China, but it's even brown sometimes. I don't know how in the world China is still doing this - you would think the people would rise up and take action. I suppose they can't?

2.) Most people don't use diapers for their babies and toddlers. Yes, you read that right. You'll be walking down the street and the babies or toddlers will be doing their business on the sidewalk, in full view of the world, sometimes even being held in a toilet-position by grandmothers or mothers. It's very odd. They also do that in grocery stores, shopping areas, and public transportation.

3.) Spitting. Everywhere. Phlegm clods on the sidewalks that you try to not step in.

4.) The biggest thing has the right of way, which is the opposite of what it's like in America. In America, the cars yield to smaller things, like bikes and people. In China? The cars will mow your rear end down. Even if you're walking on the sidewalk. Because sidewalks are NOT like American sidewalks - in China, sidewalks are for driving on, too! And for parking on.

5.) I live in fear of a member of my family getting very ill or injured. There's no 911, there's no health care infrastructure, and something normally no big deal in America could kill you here. Like, say, an appendectomy. Also, I seriously hope we don't end up with antibiotic-resistant tuberculosis. I hear it's out there, and stuff like that really worries me. Also, if a bad flu hits (swine flu/bird flu/whatever-animal flu), everyone in China is gonna die, because this place has NO sanitation. Singapore outlawed spitting and littering and all of that because of the Chinese folks who would visit there.

6.) Squatty potties. God help me. A Chinese toilet is a hole in the floor that you straddle and then squat over to do your business. Google it if you don't know what I'm talking about. Not so bad for you people with penises, but Lord have mercy I was NOT raised to perch myself on my heels and aim for a hole in the floor. Chinese ladies were raised from babyhood to do this, so they can pull it off magnificently even with super-high stiletto heels on. I CANNOT. No, not even wearing tennis shoes. Before China will EVER enter first world status, they will have to deal with the spitting, the air quality, and the toilets.

7.) Everyone smokes, and they smoke everywhere. You'll be in a restaurant and everyone around you is smoking. I'm all WHY, PEOPLE, YOUR LUNGS ARE ALREADY DEALING WITH THE AIR POLLUTION! but they're all smoking anyway.

8.) You've already heard about my internet woes (China's Great Firewall and VPN killers and all that), so I won't complain about it again here. But that stuff's a bummer, because I'm not trying to, like, take down the Chinese way of life, I'm just trying to see a picture of my girlfriend's new baby on Facebook. Alas.

_____

This makes it look like I hate China. But really, I don't! I swear. It's very fascinating! I guess I just found it easier to write about the negatives than the positives.
frugal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by frugal »

Thank you for your post.

I prefer Japan to China  :P
TripleB
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by TripleB »

MomTo2Boys wrote: My children are safer here than in the United States. Heck, my whole family is safer in China than in the United States! No one is going to barge into a movie theater in China and shoot the place up. Likewise, no one is going to barge into my children's school and shoot the place up. I hear about the violence back in the States and it makes me not want to go back there to live right now. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE America, but gosh I hope I don't go back there to live until both my sons have graduated from high school and I no longer have to worry about school violence.
So you would prefer a 100% chance of having your children breathing in polluted air to a 0.0000001% of having them shot in a school or movie theater? Interesting psychology at work here. It's why "terrorism" is so effective on the masses.

Look at the "DC Sniper" a few years ago. The chance of getting shot by him was virtually zero yet people modified how they got gasoline. People continued to drive cars which have a significantly greater probability of death from a car accident, but modified how they bought gas because the sniper was shooting people as they pumped gas... in spite of the fact the odds of being shot by the sniper were millions of times smaller than death in a car accident.
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex »

TripleB wrote:
MomTo2Boys wrote: My children are safer here than in the United States. Heck, my whole family is safer in China than in the United States! No one is going to barge into a movie theater in China and shoot the place up. Likewise, no one is going to barge into my children's school and shoot the place up. I hear about the violence back in the States and it makes me not want to go back there to live right now. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE America, but gosh I hope I don't go back there to live until both my sons have graduated from high school and I no longer have to worry about school violence.
So you would prefer a 100% chance of having your children breathing in polluted air to a 0.0000001% of having them shot in a school or movie theater? Interesting psychology at work here. It's why "terrorism" is so effective on the masses.

Look at the "DC Sniper" a few years ago. The chance of getting shot by him was virtually zero yet people modified how they got gasoline. People continued to drive cars which have a significantly greater probability of death from a car accident, but modified how they bought gas because the sniper was shooting people as they pumped gas... in spite of the fact the odds of being shot by the sniper were millions of times smaller than death in a car accident.
I was thinking along the same lines when I read that she feels her children are much safer in Chna than in the U.S. and then writes that the air is poison, you can be run down by a car at any moment (even on the sidewalk) and there is little in the way of health care if you get sick or injured.

I'm glad she was able to get back on the forum, though.
Q: “Do you have funny shaped balloons?”
A: “Not unless round is funny.”
Lone Wolf
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Lone Wolf »

MomTo2Boys wrote: China, like everywhere, has its pluses and its minuses.
Thanks, I thoroughly enjoyed this post!  Your perspective was a lot of fun to read.

I'm glad you made your way back onto the forum.  Hopefully you made sure that you weren't being followed by any suspicious-looking hacker types.  :)
MediumTex wrote: I was thinking along the same lines when I read that she feels her children are much safer in Chna than in the U.S. and then writes that the air is poison, you can be run down by a car at any moment (even on the sidewalk) and there is little in the way of health care if you get sick or injured.
I had this reaction as well, although my brain didn't assemble the pieces as amusingly as you've done here.  :)  I think that it's easy to grossly underestimate the danger of accidental death.  I think that this is because the idea of being physically attacked is so much more frightening on a basic level.
Gumby
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Gumby »

MomTo2Boys wrote:6.) Squatty potties. God help me. A Chinese toilet is a hole in the floor that you straddle and then squat over to do your business. Google it if you don't know what I'm talking about. Not so bad for you people with penises, but Lord have mercy I was NOT raised to perch myself on my heels and aim for a hole in the floor. Chinese ladies were raised from babyhood to do this, so they can pull it off magnificently even with super-high stiletto heels on. I CANNOT. No, not even wearing tennis shoes. Before China will EVER enter first world status, they will have to deal with the spitting, the air quality, and the toilets.
Heh. I know what you mean. They are difficult. I tried one once many years ago.

Not sure if it makes you feel any better, but anatomically, a squatting position is better for you.

See: http://www.squattypotty.com

As relaxing as a toilet is, the human body wasn't really designed to poop in a chair.
Last edited by Gumby on Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing I say should be construed as advice or expertise. I am only sharing opinions which may or may not be applicable in any given case.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne »

I'm also glad that you managed to get back on the forum, Mom2.  I was wondering why you hadn't posted.

Living in a country so different from the US is incredibly enlightening.  It's too easy to take our lives here (the good, bad & ugly) for granted.  Your perspectives are much appreciated!
MomTo2Boys

Post by MomTo2Boys »

MediumTex wrote:
TripleB wrote:

I was thinking along the same lines when I read that she feels her children are much safer in Chna than in the U.S. and then writes that the air is poison, you can be run down by a car at any moment (even on the sidewalk) and there is little in the way of health care if you get sick or injured.
Um?

There are lots and lots of "100% chances" with my situation.

For example, there's a 100% chance that this is where my husband's job is. I have always been the sort of wife to encourage my husband to do what his heart desires, and I have long ago told him that wherever he goes, I will follow (and so will our children). This does mean that I have had to live in some, um, very interesting situations that most women wouldn't, um, covet, but I treasure my husband and his job happiness and have found in the end that this choice has been better than what some women do - which is restrict their husbands' choices in order to cut down on their own fear of the unknown and in order to maximize their lives' predictability. (Women, I have found, tend to HATE the unknown and fear it greatly, and tend to crave predicability.) Because my family's choices have been different than most people's, I had home schooled my sons all of their lives until just a year and a half ago, which is when we put them in an International (private) school here in China.

In my book, there is a 100% chance that an International school overseas is going to be better than a U.S. public school. And while the safety factor is nice, it's not the full picture. Even though we live in a Chinese city whose name 99% of you wouldn't recognize, the school is stellar and I do mean stellar. The teachers are incredible, and my boys' friends come from around the world - Korea, Australia, Sweden, France, etc. So when I offhandedly mention that it's very safe in my sons' school, it really is just a drop in the bucket in terms of net positives. I would live here, pollution be damned (and I'll get to the pollution in a minute), just for my sons to be able to have this scholastic opportunity.

When I mention how safe China is, it's not just because no one is going to shoot us in a movie theater or shoot my sons in their school. My sons or I (or my husband, and even more so for him!) could walk down any road anywhere at any time of day or night and not a single person would mess with us. The fact that this safety has been bought at a dear price (a totalitarian government) does not escape my notice - not by a long shot - especially since mainland China has been known to immediately execute Chinese citizens who so much as steal a foreigner's backpack. But we DO benefit, and so I listed it under the positives. The safety here is total, and when I list it I do NOT do so solely to compare it to the U.S. - I do so to compare it to other overseas countries where my husband and I could instead be living. For example, we have friends in Tunis. Their children's International school was recently attacked, ransacked, and burned. We might have been there in Tunis, as well - it was once an option for my husband (as was Cairo!) - and yet instead we randomly happened to have been here in China months ago when many other countries were very unstable and we had (and still have) friends in danger. Yes, we're in China. Where it's much safer. And I am grateful.

As far as the air quality, we have air scrubbers throughout our home, my children have them at their school, and during our last two trips back to the U.S. during our assignment here I have found that my sons carry no lasting health effects from the pollution. This is not always the case, though, as many foreigners who have no prior health history often move to China and immediately are diagnosed with asthma - sometimes serious asthma. That is the chance you take; however, see "this is where my husband's job is," above. I will not hold my husband back in life because of the off chance that if we move to China, one of us *might* develop asthma. (None of us has.)

As far as the cars hitting us on the roads, the roads (and sidewalks!) are so clogged that the cars go all of 5 miles per hour or less most times that they would be near me. My sons don't really walk anywhere much, so they aren't under the threat of being hit by cars.

You have me on the medical care, though. Again, see "this is where my husband's job is," above. We've been here a while, and will be here 6-8 months more, and I very much hope that we will remain safe/healthy during that time. But when you're overseas, you ALWAYS have risks. It's a trade-off, for sure.
MomTo2Boys

Post by MomTo2Boys »

WiseOne wrote: I'm also glad that you managed to get back on the forum, Mom2.  I was wondering why you hadn't posted.

Living in a country so different from the US is incredibly enlightening.  It's too easy to take our lives here (the good, bad & ugly) for granted.  Your perspectives are much appreciated!
Thank you, WiseOne! It's nice to be missed!  ;D
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub »

Thank you for your wonderful post!

I think that starting a Pampers distribution station in Beijing is definitely the way to go. :)
Storm
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Storm »

Thanks for your perspective on China.  I spent a month there and I agree with everything you said.

Reub, regarding not using diapers, although it might not be as sanitary for the rest of us, studies have shown that in countries where the mothers don't diaper, it is much easier to potty train the babies.  Mothers learn the natural signal that their babies give when they are about to go, and hold them over the gutter or on the side of the road.  It is very easy to potty train at a young age because the mother just has to teach the kid to walk to the toilet when they show any hint that they are about to go.

Also, squatting toilets are more healthy (provided you can learn to use them) because, as Gumby mentioned earlier, it's easier to have a bowel movement in that position.  This is also the same reason in many cultures the women squat to give birth.

I guess, the point I am trying to get across is: Who are we to say what is a better or worse way to live?  Diapers are available in China, but most people just choose not to use them.  They have been living that way for thousands of years and somehow they live longer and healthier lives than we do.  A lot of this is related to diet, but it is typical of people that believe in American superiority to think that the way we live in the west is the right way for everybody in the world to live.  When you travel abroad, you begin to appreciate the good things about other cultures, and start to have this realization that we don't necessarily have the best of all possible life in the US.  I mean, it is pretty great here, but there are things (like food) where other cultures do much better than we do.
"I came here for financial advice, but I've ended up with a bunch of shave soaps and apparently am about to start eating sardines.  Not that I'm complaining, of course." -ZedThou
frugal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by frugal »

You have a lot of FAST FOOD, but I believe that you also have SLOW COOKED FOOD, typical food  :)

Right?

The problem is at lunch because you don't stop 1 hour, for break to lunch. Isn't it?
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub »

Listen, I'm not making a value judgement on how people eliminate in other parts of the world. I was just thinking that a diaper distribution business in China could be very profitable. I'll bet that eventually they'll come closer to our way of eliminating than we will to their's.  :)
Tyler
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tyler »

What part of China are you living in?

I've travelled to China pretty extensively for work. I agree that the major metropolitan cities feel very safe in general - people are more likely to approach you with a smile to practice their English than they are to appear threatening in any way. But get out towards the factory areas an you'll see a lot of brick walls with razor wire (even at nice western hotels).  Must be there for a reason.  And I've been told before to avoid leaving the hotel alone in certain areas. Every place (no matter the country) has its good and bad neighborhoods.

Enjoy your time in China!  While the travel burned me out over time, the country is very unique and interesting. It's hard at times to describe to people who haven't experienced it first-hand. I could go for some authentic Shanghai - style steamed dumplings right now.
notsheigetz
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by notsheigetz »

MomTo2Boys wrote: 2.) The food here is to die for. "Chinese food" in America... needs the quotes I gave it. Because it's NOT Chinese food. Not even close.
I learned that a couple of years ago when we stayed at the Venetian in Macau. They had a huge food court and I walked the entire length of it looking for something I recognized as quote "Chinese Food" and found absolutely nothing but rice. Actually I didn't even see anything that looked remotely like Kung Pao Chicken.
This space available for rent.
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

Gumby wrote: As relaxing as a toilet is, the human body wasn't really designed to poop in a chair.
Wow, I think the question is how deep to squat because no one -- and I mean NO ONE -- is going to enjoy pooping on their heels.

As much as I'm freaked out by the squatty potty, it does make sense.
Last edited by MachineGhost on Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Hang in there, Mom.

I thought about you about a week and a half ago when the Beijing particulate matter pollution made the headlines.

As I mentioned in the past, I lived in Taiwan for 2.5 years, and then visited every year for a month until a few years ago.
Now, I'm married to a woman of Chinese extraction and visit the mainland instead. By the way, my wife said that as far as pollution goes, Beijing doesn't even make the top ten in China. True? I know they planted a lot of trees to deal with the dust, but last I read that didn't work as planned.

Despite the negatives, if I could go back in time, I'd jump at the chance to live in China for a few years in my youth. To pick up Mandarin in total immersion at a young age, I'd give up a few years of fresh air for sure. I'd probably rather spend it in Taipei, though, where websites aren't blocked.

You wrote that you were surprised that this site isn't blocked as well. I don't think it sees enough traffic. It's not exactly a giant hub for dissidents.

Have some sesame noodles for me!
- d.
annieB
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by annieB »

I thought it was reported that several times that older men that could not
adjust to the changing China,were going to the schools and stabbing
15-20 lower grade students.It's a violent world out there...
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub »

All the more reason to consider a worldwide ban on knives.

Speaking of being banned, Clive just posted on Bogleheads that he received a lifetime ban on this website. Is this true?
Last edited by Reub on Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick »

Reub wrote: All the more reason to consider a worldwide ban on knives.
That reminds me of this classic: http://www.theonion.com/articles/nation ... nst-ma,157
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

Pointedstick wrote: That reminds me of this classic: http://www.theonion.com/articles/nation ... nst-ma,157
LOL!!!
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!