Bring On The Debates

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Bring On The Debates

Post by Reub »

We are entering crunch time in the Presidential marathon. Which candidate will have the best hair? Who will blink less or glance at his watch? Who will have beads of sweat highlight his weaknesses?

Let the games begin!
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Bring On The Debates

Post by MediumTex »

It should be dumb and entertaining, which is what reality television is supposed to be, right?

It's all just entertainment.  That's the key thing to understand.
Q: “Do you have funny shaped balloons?”
A: “Not unless round is funny.”
craigr
Administrator
Administrator

Post by craigr »

Who will win? Robama or Obamney? I am giddy with anticipation! Perhaps they can talk about who to bomb when their kids are safely at home and not put in mortal danger by being in actual military service in an active combat zone.
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick »

Reub wrote: We are entering crunch time in the Presidential marathon. Which candidate will have the best hair? Who will blink less or glance at his watch? Who will have beads of sweat highlight his weaknesses?
Who will forget their flag pin first? Whose flag pin will adjust itself to be sideways and the candidate doesn't notice? Shock! Horror! Hatred of America!
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex »

Pointedstick wrote:
Reub wrote: We are entering crunch time in the Presidential marathon. Which candidate will have the best hair? Who will blink less or glance at his watch? Who will have beads of sweat highlight his weaknesses?
Who will forget their flag pin first? Whose flag pin will adjust itself to be sideways and the candidate doesn't notice? Shock! Horror! Hatred of America!

IIRC, Obama wears the square flag pin and Romney wears the "blowing in the wind" flag pin.  As I recall, the "blowing in the wind" part connotes a higher level of patriotism.
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub »

And most important of all, what will the pundits say?
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

I'm looking forward to Biden vs Ryan.
notsheigetz
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by notsheigetz »

I explained American politics to my grandson the other day with some very simple rules to follow when voting.....

If you want taxes and war, vote Democrat.

If you want war and taxes, vote Republican.
This space available for rent.
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

You guys are making me real cynical about unrepentent support of "free political speech". :'(
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick »

MachineGhost wrote: You guys are making me real cynical about unrepentent support of "free political speech". :'(
Look on the bright (dark?) side--none of this was any less of a dog and pony show before Citizens United!
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
Coffee
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Coffee »

Are you guys single-issue voters or something?  Do you really think there's no difference between Supreme Court appointments made by a Repub. vs. a Democrat?  That a Ginsburg is equal to a Scalia???
"Now remember, when things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. "
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick »

Coffee wrote: Are you guys single-issue voters or something?  Do you really think there's no difference between Supreme Court appointments made by a Repub. vs. a Democrat?  That a Ginsburg is equal to a Scalia???
No, in fact I completely agree with you. In my opinion, the pool of available supreme court justice nominees is pretty much the only substantive difference between the candidates. However, I live in a state that Obama would win if he publicly tortured a kitten to death, so I'm comfortable voting my conscience.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex »

Pointedstick wrote:
Coffee wrote: Are you guys single-issue voters or something?  Do you really think there's no difference between Supreme Court appointments made by a Repub. vs. a Democrat?  That a Ginsburg is equal to a Scalia???
No, in fact I completely agree with you. In my opinion, the pool of available supreme court justice nominees is pretty much the only substantive difference between the candidates. However, I live in a state that Obama would win if he publicly tortured a kitten to death, so I'm comfortable voting my conscience.
+1
Storm
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Storm »

Does anyone remember how hilarious it was when the media extensively analyzed the bulge in GWBs suit during the debates several years ago?  Was he receiving voice answers remotely via radio?  Is he a secret diabetic hiding his insulin pump?  Are the aliens controlling his thoughts electronically?  I almost hope we have one of those moments because I get a little kick out of the crazy things you see on cable news.
"I came here for financial advice, but I've ended up with a bunch of shave soaps and apparently am about to start eating sardines.  Not that I'm complaining, of course." -ZedThou
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick »

Storm wrote: Does anyone remember how hilarious it was when the media extensively analyzed the bulge in GWBs suit during the debates several years ago?  Was he receiving voice answers remotely via radio?  Is he a secret diabetic hiding his insulin pump?  Are the aliens controlling his thoughts electronically?  I almost hope we have one of those moments because I get a little kick out of the crazy things you see on cable news.
The best explanation I heard was that it was a poorly-concealed hard plate as part of his body armor. Normally I think presidents usually only wear soft armor but back in those paranoid days, maybe they got a tip about someone sneaking a rifle into the venue and hastily added a hard plate to his outfit.

The whole dog-and-pony show was ridiculous of course, but that was at least the most sensible explanation I heard from among the various crackpot ideas thrown out.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

Storm wrote: Does anyone remember how hilarious it was when the media extensively analyzed the bulge in GWBs suit during the debates several years ago?  Was he receiving voice answers remotely via radio?  Is he a secret diabetic hiding his insulin pump?  Are the aliens controlling his thoughts electronically?  I almost hope we have one of those moments because I get a little kick out of the crazy things you see on cable news.
Only cable news?  TV "news" is an oxymoron.  In my humble opinion, almost all the so called "news" is spin and promotes  sensationalism in the hopes of having the reality show crowd swallow the pitch of the day (week, month, year, etc.). 
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Pointedstick wrote:
The best explanation I heard was that it was a poorly-concealed hard plate as part of his body armor.
I always wonder who inherited Saddam's bulletproof hat.
clacy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by clacy »

Reub wrote: Was there a debate tonight? :)
Not really. I watched an *ss whoppin.

In fairness, you would expect Romney to have the edge in an economic debate with the way the past 4 years have been. 

Can he sustain that momentum?  Not sure I've seen anything previously that makes me think his campaign will be able to capitalize on it (Romney that is).
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 »

Romney completely won this debate.  He was far more articulate and confident then Obama.

Though I'm sure the fact-checking will tear him apart... of course this won't mean much to the masses.
"Men did not make the earth. It is the value of the improvements only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property. Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds."

- Thomas Paine
brick-house

Post by brick-house »

Waiting for the political cartoon tomorrow that has Romney debating an empty chair...
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ad Orientem »

The usual disclaimer; I have no dog in this fight as I'm not voting for either one.

OK this was pretty close to a must win for Romney and he delivered a very solid performance. No, I don't think he hit a grand slam or delivered the proverbial knock out punch. But he came into this behind in the polls and he urgently needed to put a check in the win column. And that he did. I think he won on points. But he really looked better prepared than the President.
Trumpism is not a philosophy or a movement. It's a cult.
dragoncar
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dragoncar »

moda0306 wrote: Romney completely won this debate.  He was far more articulate and confident then Obama.

Though I'm sure the fact-checking will tear him apart... of course this won't mean much to the masses.

LOL, it's easy to be articulate and confident when you don't have to worry about mundane things like facts.
Benko
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Benko »

Even the press won't be able to cover up for him on this*.

On the plus side, he'll get more time for his golf game.

*not that the always accurate NY Times doesn't try:
"Obama and Romney Tangle on Economy"
Last edited by Benko on Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
It was good being the party of Robin Hood. Until they morphed into the Sheriff of Nottingham
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 »

dragoncar wrote:
moda0306 wrote: Romney completely won this debate.  He was far more articulate and confident then Obama.

LOL, it's easy to be articulate and confident when you don't have to worry about mundane things like facts.
Exactly. It will be interesting listening to the fact checking... Though it's a shame that the fact checkers weren't moderating last with a microphone shutoff switch.
"Men did not make the earth. It is the value of the improvements only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property. Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds."

- Thomas Paine
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

My impression of the debate was Twiddle Dee and Twiddle Dum.  Twiddle Dee was barking aggressive and Twiddle Dum was defensive and annoyed.

In theory, both Twiddles have different political philosophies and were able to express unintended consequences of the other's proposed policies, but Dee was all hat and no cattle vs Dum.  Dee lacked any steak to his sizzle.  Platitudes and ideaology is simply not enough to guarantee an outcome when you have to deal with the real world of messy politics, greed and market failures.  As a small example, Dee saying that the states can implement their own versions of local Romneycare instead of national Obamacare...  why haven't the states done it long before now?  It doesn't require the Federal government to get involved!

And Dee really gaffed calling Tesla Motors a failure (which has borrowed from DOE's Tech Advance program).  They'll be cash flow positive next month.

I do think Dum was either unprepared or he is keeping his powder dry for the last round so Dee barks himself hoarse.
Last edited by MachineGhost on Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!