Ting for Cell Phone Service (Potential Cost Saver)

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Greg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Ting for Cell Phone Service (Potential Cost Saver)

Post by Greg »

It's been a while since Ting was brought up (around January of 2013), see:

http://gyroscopicinvesting.com/forum/pe ... /#msg53573
http://gyroscopicinvesting.com/forum/ot ... /#msg51517
http://gyroscopicinvesting.com/forum/ot ... /#msg54238

Anyone had any recent experience with Ting? I'm looking at switching from Virgin Mobile over to it for the cost savings, either using an old Sprint or TMobile phone I'll probably be buying from Glyde.com or Swappa.com. You just have to make sure that you get the device's IMEI number to make sure it is compatible with Ting's service.

https://ting.com/
http://swappa.com/
https://glyde.com/
Background: Mechanical Engineering, Robotics, Control Systems, CAD Modeling, Machining, Wearable Exoskeletons, Applied Physiology, Drawing (Pencil/Charcoal), Drums, Guitar/Bass, Piano, Flute

"you are not disabled by your disabilities but rather, abled by your abilities." -Oscar Pistorius
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Ting for Cell Phone Service (Potential Cost Saver)

Post by dualstow »

I had a niece named Ting but I'm sticking w/ Virgin Mobile. I only pay $22 and change each month, including tax. Then again, I don't keep a data plan and don't go over my minutes, as I have a home phone.
Greg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Greg »

dualstow wrote: I had a niece named Ting but I'm sticking w/ Virgin Mobile. I only pay $22 and change each month, including tax. Then again, I don't keep a data plan and don't go over my minutes, as I have a home phone.
I'm trying to:

1.) Only use a cell phone plan for my wife and I and also having my normal internet for my computer (so a bill to cell phone company and a bill to Comcast for the Interneties)
2.) With Ting, you pay for your data used, but if you go on Wi-Fi whenever you can such as in the home, you can use less data
3.) Figuring out a way to call people on my cell phone through VOIP, etc. over Wi-Fi so that I don't need to use minutes on my cell phone.
Background: Mechanical Engineering, Robotics, Control Systems, CAD Modeling, Machining, Wearable Exoskeletons, Applied Physiology, Drawing (Pencil/Charcoal), Drums, Guitar/Bass, Piano, Flute

"you are not disabled by your disabilities but rather, abled by your abilities." -Oscar Pistorius
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

You have no landline that you could link Google Voice to, correct? Because I used that for long distance and it worked like a charm.
What about Skype Out?

I'm always leery of some of the super cheap options because for me the sound quality becomes an issue.
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start »

I have been using ting for quite a while... still happy with it.

have been using skype to land-line for long distance (one country) 5 bucks and change per month, also works great.. unlimited calls to landlines in that country.
-Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne »

My setup is exactly what you're planning:  cell phone plus internet and nothing else.  It works great, although you have to be willing to trust Google with a good deal of personal data...if you don't want to do that then this solution isn't for you.

Get a Google Voice number to use as your "public" number (e.g. that you hand out to credit card companies and online merchants who require a phone #), and only give out your cell phone # to friends and family.  Forward your cell's voice mail to Google Voice.  Install the google chat plugin to Chrome or whatever your preferred web browser is.  Make sure your cell phone stores contacts to gmail.  While you're at home, make all phone calls on your computer, via the gchat plugin.

Good luck!
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

I switched from Ting to http://www.ringplus.net to save money last year.  After that, Sprint made a recent change that made it very problematic to bring your own device that you buy elsewhere.  You better read this: https://ting.com/blog/changes-to-the-by ... -the-ugly/

Google's service will probably be the best of the lot when it debuts.  It should offer transparent roaming WiFi and use either the Sprint or T-Mobile network depending on what is best for any given location.  Neither Sprint nor T-Mobile are anywhere as good as Verizon or A&T in terms of in-building penetration or coverage.

Dualstow, there's nothing special about Virgin Mobile.  They're just another Sprint reseller as is Ting, RingPlus, FreedomPop, RepublicWireless, etc..  No sense in overpaying.
Last edited by MachineGhost on Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

There have been some articles about this trend by the way. The theme is, first they cut the cord and now some want to cut cellular. Of course not everyone can live on wi-fi alone. I didn't have a cell phone at all until a few years ago.
Greg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Greg »

MachineGhost wrote: I switched from Ting to http://www.ringplus.net to save money last year.  After that, Sprint made a recent change that made it very problematic to bring your own device that you buy elsewhere.  You better read this: https://ting.com/blog/changes-to-the-by ... -the-ugly/

Google's service will probably be the best of the lot when it debuts.  It should offer transparent roaming WiFi and use either the Sprint or T-Mobile network depending on what is best for any given location.  Neither Sprint nor T-Mobile are anywhere as good as Verizon or A&T in terms of in-building penetration or coverage.

Dualstow, there's nothing special about Virgin Mobile.  They're just another Sprint reseller as is Ting, RingPlus, FreedomPop, RepublicWireless, etc..  No sense in overpaying.
Looking through the Ringplus website. Looks like it currently uses just Sprint/CDMA stuff. Ting now uses GSM stuff as well due to it seems like T-Mobile. You can bring a T-Mobile device over there with no real issues from what I've read versus Sprint stuff has more hit/miss due to these new regulations.

I'm also wondering if you're having two people on a plan, if it is cheaper to have a single Ting plan versus what looks like RingPlus only has single person plans.

I found this post which seems to have a lot of useful information about different MVNOs

http://www.reddit.com/r/NoContract/comm ... _ringplus/

US Mobile seems to be getting good reviews from this reddit post at least.

whatchamacallit
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by whatchamacallit »

I have been really happy with cricket.

They are owned by ATT now so it uses their network.

https://www.cricketwireless.com/cell-phone-plans
hoost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by hoost »

I have a friend on republic wireless who seems pretty satisfied.  Wifi calling is integrated.  There are different tier levels depending on what kind of data you want.  You will have to buy one of their phones.
sapperleader

Post by sapperleader »

Last year, my wife switched to Republic Wireless and I switched to Ting.  We are both thrilled, and save a ton, while having great service.  Neither of us is a heavy cell phone user,but the nice thing about ting is I have a busy month with work or family, it automatically ramps up without me thinking about it.
Greg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Greg »

sapperleader wrote: Last year, my wife switched to Republic Wireless and I switched to Ting.  We are both thrilled, and save a ton, while having great service.  Neither of us is a heavy cell phone user,but the nice thing about ting is I have a busy month with work or family, it automatically ramps up without me thinking about it.
Any reason you both didn't switch to the same company (both Republic or both Ting?)

Jay-UMN

Post by Jay-UMN »

hoost wrote: I have a friend on republic wireless who seems pretty satisfied.  Wifi calling is integrated.  There are different tier levels depending on what kind of data you want.  You will have to buy one of their phones.
^ This would be me. After using both Sprint and Verizon based carriers, I ended up giving Republic Wireless a try due to their Wifi integration. I had issues with both Verizon and Sprint signals at work, and Sprint at home (i.e. in building). With Wifi access at work, home, pretty much anywhere I go, I can connect to wifi and use it for talk/text/data. If the wifi signal isn't strong enough, it automatically changes to cell, if the wifi fades during a call, it seamlessly hands the call over to the cell tower. I've played around with several of their plans. I used the 4G plan (~40/mo+tax) for a bit, but didn't notice any appreciable difference over the 3G plan (~29 with tax included). This is due to the Sprint network I'm sure. Since I spend most of my time in areas with Wifi, I decided to try the cell talk/text and wifi data plan (10/mo, or ~12/mo with tax). I started this experiment yesterday. We'll see how it goes. The nice part about it is you can switch plans twice/month so no real long term commitments there.
sapperleader

Post by sapperleader »

I didn't like any of Republic Wireless phone's was the main driver for me going with Ting.  Republic is also unlimited at a flat rate, whoch appealed to her.  Going forward with Ting adding CDMA to thier capabilities, I envision we will both end up at Ting at some point.
1NV35T0R (Greg) wrote:
sapperleader wrote: Last year, my wife switched to Republic Wireless and I switched to Ting.  We are both thrilled, and save a ton, while having great service.  Neither of us is a heavy cell phone user,but the nice thing about ting is I have a busy month with work or family, it automatically ramps up without me thinking about it.
Any reason you both didn't switch to the same company (both Republic or both Ting?)
Greg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Greg »

Jay-UMN wrote:
hoost wrote: I have a friend on republic wireless who seems pretty satisfied.  Wifi calling is integrated.  There are different tier levels depending on what kind of data you want.  You will have to buy one of their phones.
^ This would be me. After using both Sprint and Verizon based carriers, I ended up giving Republic Wireless a try due to their Wifi integration. I had issues with both Verizon and Sprint signals at work, and Sprint at home (i.e. in building). With Wifi access at work, home, pretty much anywhere I go, I can connect to wifi and use it for talk/text/data. If the wifi signal isn't strong enough, it automatically changes to cell, if the wifi fades during a call, it seamlessly hands the call over to the cell tower. I've played around with several of their plans. I used the 4G plan (~40/mo+tax) for a bit, but didn't notice any appreciable difference over the 3G plan (~29 with tax included). This is due to the Sprint network I'm sure. Since I spend most of my time in areas with Wifi, I decided to try the cell talk/text and wifi data plan (10/mo, or ~12/mo with tax). I started this experiment yesterday. We'll see how it goes. The nice part about it is you can switch plans twice/month so no real long term commitments there.
How does that work for WiFi though? Can it connect to a wifi point even if the wifi is password protected? Or is it only free wifi spots that get it? For instance, would the device use my neighbor's wifi for a signal even if I don't have the password to physically log on to their wifi source if I wanted internet on my cellphone/computer/etc.

Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

For those of you who do NOT use a mainstream nationwide broad coverage carrier such as Verizon or ATT:  If you look at the over all value you receive from your non-mainstream carrier, how would you rate them on:

Value = An optimum overall balance considering:
* Cost of monthly service,
* Voice Quality both listening and speaking,
* Service if you have a problem with billing etc., customer service quality and convenience,
* Effect in Use meaning do you get service everywhere you travel. 

Also, could you please mention whether you are using CDMA or GSM equipment.  The reason I'm asking is it seems most of the comments have been about cost.  Does that mean the other 3 components are satisfactory?

Thanks,  ... Mountaineer
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start »

ting.. based on my experience ...

cost- i pay for what i use and have two phones with them, for very little extra. excellent

voice quality- uses sprint network no different than theirs. good quality

service- called up and was i complete shock to have a live person with answers to my question pick up the phone... unbelievable in comparison to the lowered expectations that standard carriers have created..

effect in use- same as sprint, good coverage, no dead zones in my home, like some carriers have had. solid anywhere on the interstate system/in city's, towns, and acceptable on rural remote roads.. not sure about out of country travel..

edit to add --  phone selection was fine for me, i am not a telephonophile gadget guy, if you need the hottest thing YMMV.
Last edited by l82start on Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
Jay-UMN

Post by Jay-UMN »

1NV35T0R (Greg) wrote:
Jay-UMN wrote:
How does that work for WiFi though? Can it connect to a wifi point even if the wifi is password protected? Or is it only free wifi spots that get it? For instance, would the device use my neighbor's wifi for a signal even if I don't have the password to physically log on to their wifi source if I wanted internet on my cellphone/computer/etc.
Only wifi spots you have access to (i.e. have the password for if secured).
goldfinger

Post by goldfinger »

H2O wireless uses the ATT network too, the minute plan is 5c/min, saves a lot!
Mountaineer wrote: For those of you who do NOT use a mainstream nationwide broad coverage carrier such as Verizon or ATT:  If you look at the over all value you receive from your non-mainstream carrier, how would you rate them on:

* Service if you have a problem with billing etc., customer service quality and convenience,

Also, could you please mention whether you are using CDMA or GSM equipment.  The reason I'm asking is it seems most of the comments have been about cost.  Does that mean the other 3 components are satisfactory?

Thanks,  ... Mountaineer
hoost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by hoost »

Desert wrote:
Mountaineer wrote: For those of you who do NOT use a mainstream nationwide broad coverage carrier such as Verizon or ATT:  If you look at the over all value you receive from your non-mainstream carrier, how would you rate them on:

Thanks,  ... Mountaineer
My wife uses PagePlus (via online dealer Kitty Wireless).  She has a Verizon iPhone 4S.  Monthly bill is $30.  PP uses the Verizon network, so the coverage/quality has been equal to Verizon.
I used page plus via kitty wireless for a short time after my Verizon contract expired and before I got a company-issued phone.  Coverage on the Verizon network was the same as regular Verizon.  The price was reasonable, but you do have to bring your own Verizon-equipped phone.  Billing/Customer Service/etc...you will need to be adventurous.  I never had any problems, but I wouldn't anticipate a lot of service, and would expect to do some googling to resolve problems.  All said, I'd get them again if my company drops my phone coverage.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

Thanks for all the replies to my questions.  Good food for thought for when my contract is up for renewal.

... Mountaineer
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
hoost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by hoost »

For those who are interested in alternative wireless plans: Google just launched a new wireless service yesterday, called Project Fi.

It's currently invite only.  You need a Nexus 6.  It uses Wifi + Sprint + T-Mobile and is supposed to switch seamlessly between them.  $20 base price, plus $10/GB, and you get a refund if you don't use all of the data.  It looks very similar to what Republic Wireless is doing, but adds T-Mobile towers as well and has a nice pricing scheme on data.

If you request an invite and get accepted, please let us know how it is.

https://fi.google.com/about/