Traveling with gold coins

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Traveling with gold coins

Post by I Shrugged »

Are there any laws or regulations against carrying $7000 worth of gold coins in a carry-on bag on a domestic USA flight?  Would a person be wise to ask for a private TSA screening, or what?  Not me, but someone I know.
Stay free, my friends.
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Traveling with gold coins

Post by Ad Orientem »

No. It's not illegal. Unwise maybe, but not against the law. Tell your friend that s/he should be sure to carry some evidence of ownership in case anyone asks questions. A far better plan however is to simply mail the coins to themself, or someone they trust at their intended destination. Use Registered Mail, it's high security and can be insured.
Trumpism is not a philosophy or a movement. It's a cult.
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ad Orientem »

Desert wrote: I would look at opportunities to transport via sea.
Sea? Did I miss something?

Edit: NM I think D is suggesting you ship the coins on the Titanic.
Last edited by Ad Orientem on Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tyler
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tyler »

I Shrugged wrote: Are there any laws or regulations against carrying $7000 worth of gold coins in a carry-on bag on a domestic USA flight?  Would a person be wise to ask for a private TSA screening, or what?  Not me, but someone I know.
Not illegal, but it's guaranteed to raise eyebrows and could attract special attention.  With the negative trend in forfeiture laws, I'm not a huge fan of the TSA poking around a bag full of gold.  Personally, I'd ship it rather than deal with the extra airport scrutiny. 
coinstar
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by coinstar »

I Shrugged wrote: Are there any laws or regulations against carrying $7000 worth of gold coins in a carry-on bag on a domestic USA flight?  Would a person be wise to ask for a private TSA screening, or what?  Not me, but someone I know.
This is pretty ridiculous. How is TSA going to know that you're going through with $7000 worth of gold coins? That's literally 6 coins. That you put in a backpack and run it through the scanner. Worried they'll see SIX COINS that are unidentifiable and decide to dump your bag? Then split the 6 coins into 3 separate bags of 2 coins each and run those 3 bags through the scanner separately so there's only two per bag.
barrett
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by barrett »

Stick them in one of those little containers for keys, change and other pocket junk that they have stacked by the X-ray belt, place on belt, pick up at the other end. Probably a 99.9% chance of getting through with no questions. Hidden in plain sight. The screeners are generally talking to their co-workers anyway.

One thing I have noticed... if you have a few gold coins on your person, you tend to walk with a newly-found self confidence. It improves posture and poise & gives a spring to your step.
rickb
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by rickb »

The TSA says you should ask for a private screening: http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information ... le-jewelry
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

rickb wrote: The TSA says you should ask for a private screening: http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information ... le-jewelry
I agree, although I doubt I would ever travel with any significant amount of gold. Other than by sea, as previously mentioned. :P
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ad Orientem »

Honestly I'd be less worried about the TSA than something more mundane like getting mugged (presumably somewhere other than the airport). I'd ship or mail the coins for the same reason I don't carry $7k in cash. It's a silly and unnecessary risk.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

Ad Orientem wrote: Honestly I'd be less worried about the TSA than something more mundane like getting mugged (presumably somewhere other than the airport). I'd ship or mail the coins for the same reason I don't carry $7k in cash. It's a silly and unnecessary risk.
Exactly.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged »

Actually it is a tube of some size, of 1/10th ounce coins.  So it would show up on the scanners, I would think.
Stay free, my friends.