Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Help me choose a secondary computer

Post by Pointedstick »

MachineGhost wrote:
Pointedstick wrote: Wrong on the architectural level and wrong on the user-facing level. Try a recent Linux mint or Ubuntu sometime. You may be shocked by how well they work.
I was definitely referring to the user-facing level.  And I have tried all the latest Ubuntu and Mint derivatives, but am still not impressed.  I'm always left wondering...  is this all there is?  Isn't there anything more?  I'm bored, what's to do?
This is the attitude of a gadget enthusiast, not a normal user. An operating system is not a toy or an entertainment machine; it's a system to facilitate your doing what you want to do. How well it facilitates that--in terms of its speed, reliability, user-friendliness, consistency of interface, compatibility with software, ease of upgrading, customizability, etc--is really all that matters. Linux certainly isn't perfect, and it falls down compared to Windows 8 in the software and ease of upgrading categories

MachineGhost wrote: Essentially, they're just all trying to be Windows clones without the ease of use, bloat or app ecosystem -- keep in mind I don't use 8.1, so my frame of reference is more old school with 7/XP Pro x64 where things made more sense.  I can't recommend 8.1 either -- it's a Japanese beast mutated by nuclear radiation!
And yet that's what you'll get if you buy a Windows laptop today. That's my point--Linux is the lesser of two evils if you buy a PC today. Windows 7 was just fine, pretty good even, and Windows 10 may follow in its footsteps. But 8 is a real stinker.

And of course, an Apple laptop is going to be better than either one--but it will probably cost more compared to sorts of bottom-of-the-barrel laptops we're discussing here.
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

MangoMan wrote: If you are going with Windows, why not just wait til later this year when Windows 10 comes out? I think it is universally accepted that 8 sucks, just like Vista did, but 7 is awesome.
I wouldn't say awesome.  The control panel sucks donkey balls.  It's like when Microsoft HTMLed all up Microsoft Money turning a desktop application into a confusing webpage-like program.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

MangoMan wrote: That's a pretty minor gripe. Just switch the view to 'small icons' and it's almost like the old days.
Ehhhhh, still not quite like the old days.  I like my control panel to look like Windows 3.1.  Linux still has that going for it.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick »

MachineGhost wrote:
MangoMan wrote: That's a pretty minor gripe. Just switch the view to 'small icons' and it's almost like the old days.
Ehhhhh, still not quite like the old days.  I like my control panel to look like Windows 3.1.  Linux still has that going for it.
The similarity is breathtaking! ::)

Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

They look more similar than compared to crap Windows 7 has become!

Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Help me choose a second computer

Post by Libertarian666 »

TennPaGa wrote: Part of the attraction of the Stream was the price, not really the aesthetics.  She doesn't necessarily want the latest / greatest / coolest thing.  And so she is afraid that the Stream might be nice now, but a piece of junk in a couple years.

Plus we don't really have the $1000+ to put into a new Macbook.

EDIT: Mrs. TPG says "I thought that board you spend so much time on was all about being careful with money!  I'd actually be upset if you spent that much on something I don't need!"

I like MangoMan's advice (though she really does want a laptop and not a desktop).  To that end, she was checking out refurbished Dell Latitudes on ebay earlier this morning (~ $190), and was attracted to these as well.
I have been buying 17" Dell Inspirons for quite awhile now. My 8 year-old one still works fine, I've installed Linux on my 5 year old one but haven't had time to play with it much, and my new one is my main software development machine. They are reasonably inexpensive and last a long time, contrary to what some Mac fanatics might suggest. :P
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

TennPaGa wrote: EDIT: Mrs. TPG says "I thought that board you spend so much time on was all about being careful with money! 
LOL. Didn't see that before tech quoted it.
9pm EST Explosions in Iran (Isfahan) and Syria and Iraq. Not yet confirmed.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

TennPaGa wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:48 am Part of the attraction of the Stream was the price, not really the aesthetics.  She doesn't necessarily want the latest / greatest / coolest thing.  And so she is afraid that the Stream might be nice now, but a piece of junk in a couple years.

Plus we don't really have the $1000+ to put into a new Macbook.

EDIT: Mrs. TPG says "I thought that board you spend so much time on was all about being careful with money!  I'd actually be upset if you spent that much on something I don't need!"

I like MangoMan's advice (though she really does want a laptop and not a desktop).  To that end, she was checking out refurbished Dell Latitudes on ebay earlier this morning (~ $190), and was attracted to these as well.
I just finished reading all 37 highly entertaining posts in this topic. But I never read a concluding one of what you actually decided to do? What did you do??!!!

And, I second this by XAN: "Except that Apple has a terrible track record of abandoning not-very-old hardware. Very quickly, your used Mac won't be able to upgrade to the latest OS, and very quickly after that you won't be getting security updates for the OS you can run."

Where is the cost efficiency of (over) paying for Apple hardware that has operating systems on them that cannot be upgraded thereby rendering certain applications no longer being able to be used?

That is something in the Windows operating system world that is not frequently encountered.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

Currently running a MacBook Pro for dev work. School recommended a UNIX based system for programming courses. My previous experience with Linux was a little dicey, as the lack of commercial support was a big barrier. I imagine things have improved in the interim.

When this MacBook Pro kicks the bucket, I'm getting a PC and the Linux + Windows combo the go ahead. Apple's prices are insane.
DITM
www.allterraininvesting.com
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Smith1776 wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:31 pm.
School recommended a UNIX based system for programming courses.
When this MacBook Pro kicks the bucket, I'm getting a PC and the Linux + Windows combo the go ahead. Apple's prices are insane.
I know the rest of the world has (and needs) laptops, but a Mac mini is pretty affordable. I’m on my second one, although the first never died. (I want to put Linux on it someday). Using the same Compaq monitor I bought for the first unit over 10 years ago.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

dualstow wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:03 pm
Smith1776 wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:31 pm.
School recommended a UNIX based system for programming courses.
I know the rest of the world has (and needs) laptops, but a Mac mini is pretty affordable. I’m on my second one, although the first never died. (I want to put Linux on it someday). Using the same Compaq monitor I bought for the first unit over 10 years ago.
The Mac mini is so endearing! I had a G4 model way back when.

I wouldn’t hesitate to get another one.

I was also thinking of getting a cheap chromebook as a “throw around” computer.

I don’t know off the top of my head how much programming stuff can be done on a chromebook though.
DITM
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Smith1776 wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:45 pm I don’t know off the top of my head how much programming stuff can be done on a chromebook though.
I had a “craptop” that I installed GalliumOS on. Gallium is meant to be installed on old Chromebooks and is kind of neat. Alas, I couldn’t even get wi-fi working O0 Even after buying a special dongle. To be fair, though, that was on an HP notebook meant for Windows and the hardware didn’t want any Linuxy stuff coursing through its veins.

Anyway, if you get a Chromebook and end up hating it, maybe try GalliumOS.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

Smith1776 wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:45 pm I was also thinking of getting a cheap chromebook as a “throw around” computer.

I don’t know off the top of my head how much programming stuff can be done on a chromebook though.
I've also thought about trying out Linux on my Chromebook, but there's so many goddamn versions of Linux it gets a bit overwh...
dualstow wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:03 pm I had a “craptop” that I installed GalliumOS on. Gallium is meant to be installed on old Chromebooks and is kind of neat.

You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

Holy crap tom cruise looks so different there.

Still looks damn good for his age these days though.

I wonder how much he spends on getting work done on his appearance.
DITM
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

Kriegsspiel wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:42 pm
Smith1776 wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:45 pm I was also thinking of getting a cheap chromebook as a “throw around” computer.

I've also thought about trying out Linux on my Chromebook, but there's so many goddamn versions of Linux it gets a bit overwh...
dualstow wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:03 pm I had a “craptop” that I installed GalliumOS on. Gallium is meant to be installed on old Chromebooks and is kind of neat.

That is my favorite movie. Came out almost 34 years ago! Other favorites, Twelve O'Clock High, Shane. :o Sorry for the thread diversion.
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

Smith1776 wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:31 pm Currently running a MacBook Pro for dev work. School recommended a UNIX based system for programming courses. My previous experience with Linux was a little dicey, as the lack of commercial support was a big barrier. I imagine things have improved in the interim.

Stick with a MacBook Pro. I have a mid-2009 MBP that I upped the memory to the max 8 GB and put in 1 TB SSD several years ago. Still works great. I also have a 2018 MBP that I bought in a weak moment since the 2009 OS could not go past El Capitan - which I subsequently decided is probably, practically speaking, a non-issue for another year or two. Stay with the MacBook Pro, then you won't need secondary, tertiary or replacement crapware running a "great when it works, horrible when it does not OS" every few years. :) YMMV
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Mountaineer wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:54 am Stay with the MacBook Pro, then you won't need secondary, tertiary or replacement crapware running a "great when it works, horrible when it does not OS" every few years. :) YMMV
I agree with that, although I’ve never really been smart enough or motivated enough to handle linux for long. I think it’s like having a British car. If you like to tinker, it may be worth it.

However, even Neal Stephenson, linux advocate and author of “in the beginning, there was the command line...” appended that text online with a brief note that his opinion had changed since Apple operating systems went Unix-based. Now he likes Apple computers.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

Mountaineer wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:54 am
Smith1776 wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:31 pm Currently running a MacBook Pro for dev work. School recommended a UNIX based system for programming courses. My previous experience with Linux was a little dicey, as the lack of commercial support was a big barrier. I imagine things have improved in the interim.

Stick with a MacBook Pro. I have a mid-2009 MBP that I upped the memory to the max 8 GB and put in 1 TB SSD several years ago. Still works great. I also have a 2018 MBP that I bought in a weak moment since the 2009 OS could not go past El Capitan - which I subsequently decided is probably, practically speaking, a non-issue for another year or two. Stay with the MacBook Pro, then you won't need secondary, tertiary or replacement crapware running a "great when it works, horrible when it does not OS" every few years. :) YMMV
The Mac lifespan and resale value is pretty damn good I must admit. My best friend bought one of the original MacBooks when they came out in 2006. He used that for a solid 11 years. He then got a 2015 MacBook Pro because the 2016 models had the keyboard issues.

I really enjoy a lot of the attention to detail that Apple puts into their machines. They've also got nice balance between power and portability.

As far as having a commercially supported UNIX-based operating system is concerned, I lament they're the only game in town. It's definitely reflected in their prices! :o
DITM
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/le ... aj-8h82Kv8

Guys.... it's just... SO.... CHEAP.

MUST RESIST.

(Cheap for CANADIAN dollars that is...)
DITM
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Wow, that really is cheap.
US$130
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels »

Just a FYI, If you use Firefox.
Firefox attacks: Homeland Security urges all users to update browsers immediately in rare warning

https://www.fastcompany.com/90450626/fi ... re-warning
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

shekels wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:05 am Just a FYI, If you use Firefox.
Firefox attacks: Homeland Security urges all users to update browsers immediately in rare warning

https://www.fastcompany.com/90450626/fi ... re-warning
Good to know.
Interesting that the link says Mac users but then, as you wrote, it's for all users.

I was hoping the update would stop it freezing, but no luck.
I found instructions, followed them, no joy.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

Article about Chromebooks from back in 2014.

"The key thing to notice is that products improve more rapidly than consumer needs expand. This means that while the incumbent product may have once been subpar, over time it becomes “too good” for most customers, offering features they don’t need yet charging for them anyways. Meanwhile, the new entrant has an inferior product, but at a much lower price, and as its product improves – again, more rapidly than consumer needs – it begins to peel away customers from the incumbent by virtue of its lower price. Eventually it becomes good enough for nearly all of the consumers, leaving the incumbent high and dry.

Like I said, Chromebooks fit this pattern perfectly"

Chromebooks are great if you want something that's simple as fuck and just runs the Chrome browser.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Interesting. If I didn’t have an ipad mini (and a Brydge keyboard), a Chromebook would probably be my sofa computer. My nieces like them well enough.

ADDED: maybe I should try a Chromebox, the desktop version.
https://wiki.galliumos.org/Hardware_Compatibility