Dan Carlin's Common Sense

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Dan Carlin's Common Sense

Post by moda0306 »

I recently posted on Dan Carlin's Hardcore History.  While it's interesting stuff, and set the stage for me about his great ability to analyze things with context, after listening to several podcasts of his other show (on present-day politics)...

... I cannot recommend Dan Carlin's Common Sense enough!

http://www.dancarlin.com/common-sense-h ... ding-page/

When I imagine trying to debate this guy, I estimate that it would be like trying to debate Gumby on a topic he has studied well. 

For conservatives, he destroys Obama on the press spying and IRS audit bias (which left me with a more hardened opinion on those issues against the adminisration).  For libs/libertarians, he's a huge civil libertarian and is against many aspects of the war on terror.  What got to me not his opinions, but his arguments, which are amazingly well-put-together, IMO. 

I find myself either agreeing with him immensely on a topic, learning completely new things I didn't before, or if I don't agree with him on a topic going in, coming out the other end completely questioning if not damning my original views on something.

Guys, I can honestly say that if you want to discuss any of the following topics with a degree of perspective, you'd be wise to listen to at least just the free podcasts he has on the above link.

1) Civil Liberties and the 4th Amendment
2) The U.S. involvement in the cold war
3) The U.S. involvement on the war on terror
4) ISIS
5) Crimea/Russia
7) Net Neutrality
8) Torture

There are other things, but there are topics he attacks that not only leave me with different opinions on that topic, but make me completely rethink where my opinions are on what topics we should even be discussing, and the perspective we should hold when discussing them.  It's not just the facts that he puts forth, but the juxtapositions he works on in discussion, and the opposing arguments he addresses when he does his show.

I can promise you that you probably won't agree with him 100% before he presents his arguments (as I did not), but I sincerely think you'll come out thinking about things differently.  The way he presents the present civil liberty and war on terror issues as contributing to systemic problems with how our government and the world will work is really eye-opening.

If I have any amount of "trust capital" with any of you, I would like to use every ounce of it to get you to smash through these podcasts.  Forget Monetary Realism or proving morality. 

http://www.dancarlin.com/common-sense-h ... ding-page/
Last edited by moda0306 on Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Men did not make the earth. It is the value of the improvements only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property. Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds."

- Thomas Paine
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Dan Carlin's Common Sense

Post by I Shrugged »

Thanks, I will listen when I have some time. 
Stay free, my friends.
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 »

I Shrugged wrote: Thanks, I will listen when I have some time.
I do podcasts when I'm driving or when I'm doing tedious chores or cooking at home.  If you search Dan Carlin on your podcasts app you should find it.  It's the most efficient, easy way to listen to it, IMO.
"Men did not make the earth. It is the value of the improvements only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property. Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds."

- Thomas Paine
sixdollars

Post by sixdollars »

Good recommendations Moda, I'm really enjoying these :D
"There’s nothing wrong with Harry’s portfolio—nothing at all—but there’s everything wrong with his followers, who seem, on average, to chase performance the way dogs chase cars."

-William J. Bernstein
AdamA
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by AdamA »

I agree, Moda.

Really an enjoyable podcast.

Agree or disagree, he makes very compelling arguments. 
"All men's miseries derive from not being able to sit in a quiet room alone."

Pascal
fnord123
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by fnord123 »

Dan Carlin's stuff is great. He is one of only two podcasts I've sent money to. I wish more people would listen to him because he provides excellent historical context on many current events.
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 »

fnord123 wrote: Dan Carlin's stuff is great. He is one of only two podcasts I've sent money to. I wish more people would listen to him because he provides excellent historical context on many current events.
I know. I'm turning into quite the civil libertarian. And not from a rights-based perspective... From a utilitarian one.

Could you imagine if he were participating in our ISIS threads?  Gumby all over again. 

- Thomas Paine
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 »

Thanks for the tip, Moda.  These podcasts make for great listening in the car.  I just started the recent one on U.S. torture of (alleged) terrorists.  I wish everyone who thinks its okay to waterboard these guys would listen to this.  Mr. Carlin sounds like what a true American should sound like -- a combination of realism with a healthy dose of idealism as a counterbalance.  I just threw that sentence in for those who go for the patriotic stuff and happen to be American.  For anyone else, please just substitute the words "true Human" for "true American".
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 »

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/com ... wdcc90.mp3

Another phenomenal episode on trade agreements.

This guy is quickly becoming my favorite political commentator.

And stuper,

I Didnt see your comment until now. I couldn't agree with you more. Such an admirable balance between idealism and pragmatism.  The best kind of "patriot" if you ask me.

- Thomas Paine