Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

madbean
Executive Member
Executive Member

Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee

Post by madbean »

Announcing a new government career opportunity. Become a "trained interventionist".

http://freebeacon.com/issues/feds-ameri ... ased-diet/

DGAC proposed a variety of solutions to address obesity, and its promotion of what it calls the “culture of health.”?

“The persistent high levels of overweight and obesity require urgent population- and individual-level strategies across multiple settings, including health care, communities, schools, worksites, and families,”? they said.

In response, DGAC called for diet and weight management interventions by “trained interventionists”? in healthcare settings, community locations, and worksites.

“Government at local, state, and national levels, the health care system, schools, worksites, community organizations, businesses, and the food industry all have critical roles in developing creative and effective solutions,”? they said.
Benko
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee

Post by Benko »

reasons to read the original document:
http://www.health.gov/dietaryguidelines ... mittee.pdf

1.  The major findings regarding sustainable diets were that a diet higher in plant-based foods, such as vegetables, fruits, whole grains, legumes, nuts, and seeds, and lower in calories and animal-based foods is more health promoting...This pattern of eating can be achieved through a variety of dietary patterns, including the Healthy U.S.-style Pattern, the Healthy Mediterranean-style Pattern, and the Healthy Vegetarian Pattern.

So it is not complete vegetarian propaganda, and eating more veggies is probably a good idea for many/most.  Grains are more problematic, especially modern wheat.

2. Not that they fail to mention the biggest threat facing the US today (sarcasm alert)

Current evidence shows that the average U.S. diet has a larger environmental impact in terms of
increased greenhouse gas emissions, land use, water use, and energy use, compared to the above dietary patterns.
Last edited by Benko on Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It was good being the party of Robin Hood. Until they morphed into the Sheriff of Nottingham
sixdollars

Post by sixdollars »

Part of the issue with a lot of grains seems to be that they need careful preparation to be healthful.  It is my understanding that many healthy non-industrial cultures that consumed grains full of anti-nutrients (e.g. phytic acid) would make it a habit to soak, grind, and/or ferment their grains before consuming, especially the ones that relied on grains as a major source of calories.  If you are not willing to do this, I imagine it would not be a good idea to consume grains as a large portion of your diet.  There are some exceptions.  For example, I doubt that things like white rice are going to be very problematic if the rest of the diet is otherwise good
"There’s nothing wrong with Harry’s portfolio—nothing at all—but there’s everything wrong with his followers, who seem, on average, to chase performance the way dogs chase cars."

-William J. Bernstein
Benko
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Benko »

Desert,

I know little other than what I've heard William Davis, MD (cardiologist and author wheat belly) say i.e. wheat we eat today is way different from wheat eaten 100 years ago.  My hunch is that wheat is by far the "worst" grain for us. 
It was good being the party of Robin Hood. Until they morphed into the Sheriff of Nottingham
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

Benko wrote: I know little other than what I've heard William Davis, MD (cardiologist and author wheat belly) say i.e. wheat we eat today is way different from wheat eaten 100 years ago.  My hunch is that wheat is by far the "worst" grain for us.
The wheat of today has a lot more gluten than the wheat of old ever did.

The anti-nutrients do have some beneficial functions in that they're anti-cancerific, etc..  But that's probably why they're so toxic in excess.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
rocketdog
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by rocketdog »

I just stumbled across this study independently and was glad to see it had already been discussed here (you PPers are always right on top of things!)  I thought I'd share a link to the Executive Summary, as well as a quote from the report that pretty much sums up their findings:

http://health.gov/dietaryguidelines/2015-scientific-report/02-executive-summary.asp

"The overall body of evidence examined by the 2015 DGAC identifies that a healthy dietary pattern is higher in vegetables, fruits, whole grains, low- or non-fat dairy, seafood, legumes, and nuts; moderate in alcohol (among adults); lower in red and processed meat; and low in sugar-sweetened foods and drinks and refined grains. Vegetables and fruit are the only characteristics of the diet that were consistently identified in every conclusion statement across the health outcomes.[...] Higher intake of red and processed meats was identified as detrimental compared to lower intake."

Those of you who are following diets that are low-carb or no-carb and high in red meat intake (Atkins, Paleo) may want to rethink that based on the advice above. 
Simonjester wrote:

Those of you who are following diets that are low-carb or no-carb and high in red meat intake (Atkins, Paleo) may want to rethink that based on the advice above.

sig- The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.
- H. L. Mencken
the juxtaposition of the quoted statement and the SIG immediately below struck me as funny... :D
the government recommendations have been wrong (product of x food/farming industry) for so long that what they, or their scientist say i should, or shouldn't eat, is pretty much to he bottom of my listen to list.

i am not certain about Atkins recommendations, i believe than they change over time depending on what stage you are at and what your goals are, and paleo has become a junk marketing term, but based on everything i have read low carb, no carb, type diets are about moderate amounts of protein, veggies and consuming healthy fats, they are not inherently high protein diets.. getting rid of the carbs and sugar kills the constant recurring hunger that comes with them and makes moderation easy and natural..
The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.
- H. L. Mencken