Post by dualstow »

A very interesting read, and a nice break from ISIS
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/15/magaz ... -life.html
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Twitter Post, Whipping Post

Post by Pointedstick »

Leftism is destruction. It revels in it. Fetishizes it. Gorges on the corpses of the targets and declares itself the liberator even as it stands amidst the ruins of what others labored so hard to build with no particular plan for what to replace the wreckage with.

A certain amount of leftism is important for preserving a society's resilience and adaptability; it sort of acts as a vaccine against complacency, stultification, stasis. But too much vaccine is otherwise known as disease, and applied indiscriminately, it will destroy the host instead. So it is with leftism in real life as well.
Last edited by Pointedstick on Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

dualstow wrote: A very interesting read, and a nice break from ISIS
Scary!  And exactly why I avoid social media like the plaqgue.  Cyberbullying has morphed.  The elephant never forgets.
Last edited by MachineGhost on Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

MangoMan wrote: Dude, I already bitch-slapped you in another thread over this.
Plaque = the sticky stuff on your teeth after you eat.
Plague = the disease that wiped out millions of lives.  :P
Oh, that's what it was about.  I stand corrected, sir!  I thought the word had double meanings depending on the context.  I don't think I'm doing so good off the lecithin.  :(
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
Gosso
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Gosso »

MangoMan wrote:
MachineGhost wrote:
dualstow wrote: A very interesting read, and a nice break from ISIS
Scary!  And exactly why I avoid social media like the plaque.  Cyberbullying has morphed.
Dude, I already bitch-slapped you in another thread over this.
Plaque = the sticky stuff on your teeth after you eat.
Plague = the disease that wiped out millions of lives.  :P
Best to avoid plaque like the plague.

This thread reminds me of a tweet from Josh Brown
Josh Brown wrote:7 Deadly Social Media Sins:
Wrath = Yelp
Greed = LinkedIn
Sloth = Uber
Pride = Twitter
Lust = Tinder
Envy = Facebook
Gluttony = Instagram
Seems about right.  A smooth gentle slope...
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick »

TennPaGa wrote:
Pointedstick wrote: Leftism is destruction. It revels in it. Fetishizes it. Gorges on the corpses of the targets and declares itself the liberator even as it stands amidst the ruins of what others labored so hard to build with no particular plan for what to replace the wreckage with.

A certain amount of leftism is important for preserving a society's resilience and adaptability; it sort of acts as a vaccine against complacency, stultification, stasis. But too much vaccine is otherwise known as disease, and applied indiscriminately, it will destroy the host instead. So it is with leftism in real life as well.
This same critique could be applied against aspects of free-market capitalism.
I completely disagree. The entire purpose of capitalism is production and it does indeed generate a great deal of output; any destruction serves this purpose, and is in fact inefficient inasmuch as it more profitable to turn destruction and waste into further products once somebody thinks of a way to do it, rather than unleash them as pollution and pay the attendant regulatory and public relations costs.

Leftism, by contrast, is concerned entirely with destroying social institutions and productive capacity deemed to be incompatible with "perpetual revolution" style liberal orthodoxy--it almost never has a plan for what to replace the institutions with or how to regain lost productive capacity. Indeed most leftists don't care about those details. Destroying the corrupt is seen as more important than creating something to replace it. But creation is always harder than destruction, and people trapped in a leftist liberationist destructive mindset chronically underestimate this.
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

Pointedstick wrote:
TennPaGa wrote:
Pointedstick wrote: Leftism is destruction. It revels in it. Fetishizes it. Gorges on the corpses of the targets and declares itself the liberator even as it stands amidst the ruins of what others labored so hard to build with no particular plan for what to replace the wreckage with.

This same critique could be applied against aspects of free-market capitalism.
I completely disagree. The entire purpose of capitalism is production and it does indeed generate a great deal of output; any destruction serves this purpose, and is in fact inefficient inasmuch as it more profitable to turn destruction and waste into further products once somebody thinks of a way to do it, rather than unleash them as pollution and pay the attendant regulatory and public relations costs.

Leftism, by contrast, is concerned entirely with destroying social institutions and productive capacity deemed to be incompatible with "perpetual revolution" style liberal orthodoxy--it almost never has a plan for what to replace the institutions with or how to regain lost productive capacity. Indeed most leftists don't care about those details. Destroying the corrupt is seen as more important than creating something to replace it. But creation is always harder than destruction, and people trapped in a leftist liberationist destructive mindset chronically underestimate this.
There seem to be quite a lot of parallels between "extreme leftists, and dare I say estreme rightists" who are firmly entrenched in their positions and discount truth, and pagans who "do not have ears to hear" the Word of God.  Perhaps it is our human rebellious nature to discount or attempt to discredit authority.

... Mountaineer
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

MangoMan wrote: You are excused. Always happy to help a brother out.
Now go back and read the other thread and you will get a good laugh.
You and Gosso have me giggling like a little girl!  :D