How much for moving help?

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

amdda01

How much for moving help?

Post by amdda01 »

I hired the maintenance guy in my building to help load/unload. What would be a fair wage?

The skinny:

* Studio apartment
* 3 hrs total (1 hr load - drive time - 1 hr unload)
* Minimal stuff; heaviest item is futon sofa

Thanks!
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: How much for moving help?

Post by Mountaineer »

amdda01 wrote: I hired the maintenance guy in my building to help load/unload. What would be a fair wage?

The skinny:

* Studio apartment
* 3 hrs total (1 hr load - drive time - 1 hr unload)
* Minimal stuff; heaviest item is futon sofa

Thanks!
Same hourly rate as you pay your car mechanic?  Make him very happy and you will reap the benefits in the future.  If he perceives you "cheaped out", beware if you need his help again.

... Mountaineer
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged »

$100 plus something for the truck if he is using his truck.  Maybe $125 in that case?  Just my guesses.
Stay free, my friends.
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ad Orientem »

Not less than $100 and probably not more than $150 depending on how much work was involved, truck use, gas etc.
Trumpism is not a philosophy or a movement. It's a cult.
madbean
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by madbean »

I was moving a lot for a while and had more stuff than would fit in a studio apartment, including a futon bed, a very large entertainment center, a  pre-HD TV that weighed a ton, and two bedrooms of furniture. So I invested in a good hand truck and moved every piece of it by myself at least four times over the course of a few years (my granddaughter who lived with me was only 4-6 years old so she was little help). You'd be amazed what you can do with a good hand truck and a little ingenuity. I think it's actually easier on your back than getting somebody to help you lift.

You have to stay on the ground floor, of course.

(On second thought, one of those moves was a two-story townhouse with the bedrooms on the second floor. I now wonder how I even did that.)
Last edited by madbean on Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

MangoMan wrote: It will take longer than 3 hours. Moves never go as smoothly as anticipated. Ask me how I know.  :P

I suggest agreeing to a figure ahead of time, based either on the entire job regardless of how long it takes, or an hourly rate [perhaps less/hour for the driving part?].
I like it!  I think that is excellent advice to mutually agree on the cost and don't beat him down during the process.  Only thing I'd add, to be consistent with my earlier post, is to tip him 20 or 30% above what the negotiated rate was.  Markedly exceed his expectation and you will have a friend in case you need him again, or at least no enemies that will badmouth you - for minimal expense.

... Mountaineer
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.