Music first or lyrics first?

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Music first or lyrics first?

Post by glennds »

I'm mostly thinking about classic rock when asking this question, but do you feel more musician/songwriters write the music for a song first, and fit the lyrics to it, or do you feel most musicians write the lyrics to a song first and back-fill with the music? I'm not a musician, but I've always wondered about this and maybe someone here could offer some insight.
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Music first or lyrics first?

Post by l82start »

i don't know for sure but i would guess depends it on the artist...  a musician would write music first, and poets (bob dylan. Jim Morrison, types?) would write the lyrics first.. 
-Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
dragoncar
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dragoncar »

I thought this was going to be a question about what's more important as a listener.  For me, I'm sure artists I like write the music first because some of the lyrics are terrible.  I'm more typically more interested in the music than the lyrics (so many lyrics are sung unintelligibly even if well written)
Tyler
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tyler »

I think most original artists play to their strengths.  Guys like Eminem are remarkable lyricists and build music around the core.  Bands like U2 often start with an interesting guitar riff and collaboratively work it into a full song.  Hendrix would sing mostly as a bridge to a guitar solo. 
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

glennds wrote: I'm mostly thinking about classic rock when asking this question, but do you feel more musician/songwriters write the music for a song first, and fit the lyrics to it, or do you feel most musicians write the lyrics to a song first and back-fill with the music? I'm not a musician, but I've always wondered about this and maybe someone here could offer some insight.
I read or watched somewhere recently that tradition is to do the music first and then fit lyrics to it.  But a relative few break the mold and do it backwards.  I think instrument-playing musicians aren't necessarily good lyricists; that's typically the job of the singer or songwriter.  For instance, the band is jammin' around downstairs while singer Axl Rose is upstairs stewing over another emotional episode, hears the music and starts writing lyrics to it and out pops Sweet Child o' Mine.

I wonder how the first rock n' roll/pop song, Rock Around the Clock was done.  I can just imagine how apeshit everyone went back then over it.  It was the Heavy Metal of its time.  It's under appreciated nowadays, I bet.  Can you imagine a Millenial listening to the loud overcompressed brickwalled garbage that passes for music nowadays even knowing about it?
Last edited by MachineGhost on Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
WildAboutHarry
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WildAboutHarry »

Jumping into the Way-Back Machine, rumor has it that the working title for the most often played melody Paul McCartney wrote (he was with Wings, I think :) and is now backing up Kayne West) was "Scrambled Eggs".  That argues for music first, at least for that one.
It is the settled policy of America, that as peace is better than war, war is better than tribute.  The United States, while they wish for war with no nation, will buy peace with none"  James Madison