What device do you use on this forum?

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

What device is your go-to for this forum [and in general]?

Desktop
44%
Laptop/Notebook
44%
Tablet - 6" screen or larger [keyboard?]
7%
Smart Phone - screen smaller than 6"
4%
Size doesn't matter [who are you kidding - pick a different option]
No votes

Total votes: 27
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: What device do you use on this forum?

Post by Pointedstick »

I use a laptop for nearly everything I do. I find my smartphone and tablet to be largely unsuited for anything beyond very simple tasks.
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ad Orientem »

Trumpism is not a philosophy or a movement. It's a cult.
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by flyingpylon »

I seem to use a desktop, laptop, and iPad about equally, but I don't post much so typing is not a big issue.  I do wish there was better smartphone compatibility... I don't visit on my phone at all because it's so cumbersome.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne »

I've found the iPads too limiting for travel especially, so I've been sticking with lightweight laptops.  More and more though, tablets are becoming Transformer laptops.

The only problem the iPad still has to get over is that it turns into a brick without an internet connection.  I know Apple thinks that internet connections are ubiquitous, and maybe they are in Silicon Valley, but try telling that to Newark airport and Amtrak.  Or to hotels that insist on charging $15/day. 
MomTo2Boys

Post by MomTo2Boys »

WiseOne wrote: I know Apple thinks that internet connections are ubiquitous, and maybe they are in Silicon Valley, but try telling that to Newark airport and Amtrak.  Or to hotels that insist on charging $15/day.
Amen, sistah! Hotels charging for wifi make me crazy. Might as well charge me for sheets on the bed or a toilet in the bathroom.  And a big high five to Dulles airport for its free wifi.  Dulles... you might be ugly as sin and cranky as all get out, and I hate your weird shuttle-bus-tram things on stilts, but having unlimited, free wifi = super awesome.

- Written on my Apple laptop
(Trying hard to not screw up handling the money that my husband and I have traded untold life-hours to earn...)
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

Pointedstick wrote: I use a laptop for nearly everything I do. I find my smartphone and tablet to be largely unsuited for anything beyond very simple tasks.
Whenever someone says they use their tablet "for everything," I know their everything is a bird game.

And maybe shittier versions of websites.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub »

Usually my smartphone.
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

Reub wrote: Usually my smartphone.
Reub is da man!!!
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
Tyler
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tyler »

Typing this from my iPad. Have also used my iPhone pretty extensively. But most of the time I stick to my PC when I can help it. FWIW, I really like how the browser experience is the same on all three. I'm specifically not a fan of most smartphone or tablet specific site layouts.
dragoncar
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dragoncar »

Reub wrote: Usually my smartphone.
You didn't vote!  You must unite with us!

I voted smartphone as a contrarian play, but I use a smartphone usually (on the train to work, when I do most of my internetting) and desktop occasionally (at home, work, etc)
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

LOL pug, well most days I don't struggle as I generally use a Mac desktop with an extended, wired keyboard and a beautiful sapele wood mouse.

When traveling, a kindle fire or iPod touch/ iPhone. Predictive text helps a great deal, but on these mobile devices I am generally relegated to reading and not responding. This is generally bad for my blood pressure if I read a "hot"topic.

My Samsung phone is really good at dictation, but that is one of two things I won't do in front of the wife and besides, I would feel compelled to edit in all the commas, thus defeating the purpose.
🍍
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

P.S. Sometimes if I'm away and writing to someone who already knows me, I find it handier to write with a pen and snap a photo of my inky missives. But usually not on forums.
🍍
gizmo_rat
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by gizmo_rat »

Tyler wrote: FWIW, I really like how the browser experience is the same on all three. I'm specifically not a fan of most smartphone or tablet specific site layouts.
Poorly executed i.e. all, responsive sites are becoming a major browsing PITA. I keep having late nineties flashbacks when experiencing yet another seemly random, glitchy attempt to render a page of what is fundamentally textual information.
I made the mistake of helping/watching one of my inlaws attempt a simple transaction (prepaying a toll) on their new Christmas iPad, total hardware / software multilevel car crash of an interaction. Tablets, IOS fancy shrinking bits and Responsive web design just FOAD.

Posted from my VT100
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne »

dualstow wrote: LOL pug, well most days I don't struggle as I generally use a Mac desktop with an extended, wired keyboard and a beautiful sapele wood mouse.
??  Sounds like there is a story to this, do tell!  The words "beautiful" and "laptop" and "wood" aren't usually found in the same sentence.

I also browse topics on the iphone while traveling, but there's no way I'd try to post with the thing.  Replying to emails is bad enough.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

ONLY desktop for me.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

MangoMan wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:46 am I hate doing anything on my phone other than texting and calling. So that would be my last choice, but if I'm out of the house and killing time, I will check on my phone.

Otherwise, desktop > laptop > tablet > phone.
Agree with your rankings. Only thing I presently do on a phone is for my work wherein I have to get a phone call to then log in a code so that I can get into our organization's bank account.

I am tempted, though, to see what the forum experience would be on one of my iPads or iPad mini's. But since I spend so much time using a desktop (with large monitors) at home or in my office, I've not yet tried the iPad experience.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

WiseOne wrote: Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:35 pm
dualstow wrote: LOL pug, well most days I don't struggle as I generally use a Mac desktop with an extended, wired keyboard and a beautiful sapele wood mouse.
??  Sounds like there is a story to this, do tell!  The words "beautiful" and "laptop" and "wood" aren't usually found in the same sentence.
I see Vinny has exhumed another ancient thread. Well, gives me a chance to reply to WiseOne.
I actually don't own a laptop, but I still own the wooden mouse. Got it from a company called Swedx (in Sweden!) that sold wooden mice, USB sticks, monitors, etc. At some point I noticed the same mouse marked way, way down and I realized I overpaid. Then one day, there was little to no wooden stuff for sale on the site. Just electronics. // Just checked. I see the beechwood mouse, but no price.

Anyway, although the mouse is plugged in, I tend to use a full-sized Apple Magic Trackpad. Not a laptop one. A standalone trackpad. It is awesome.
🍍
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

MangoMan wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:32 pm
vnatale wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:08 pm
MangoMan wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:46 am I hate doing anything on my phone other than texting and calling. So that would be my last choice, but if I'm out of the house and killing time, I will check on my phone.

Otherwise, desktop > laptop > tablet > phone.
Agree with your rankings. Only thing I presently do on a phone is for my work wherein I have to get a phone call to then log in a code so that I can get into our organization's bank account.

I am tempted, though, to see what the forum experience would be on one of my iPads or iPad mini's. But since I spend so much time using a desktop (with large monitors) at home or in my office, I've not yet tried the iPad experience.

Vinny
IMO, fine for reading, but difficult for posting replies, and near impossible for selective editing.

To myself: okay, Boomer... :D
And, extreme near impossible for the way I'm currently using the forum -- exhaustive research with putting a lot of that research into an Excel worksheet.

My top usages for my iPads / mini's are: reading email, book reading, Twitter, watching movies on Amazon Prime, watching my TV via slingplayer. The commonality is that they are mostly passive activities with little direct input on my part. They lack the desktop BIG monitor / BIG keyboard experience.

Vinny

Vinny

Vinny
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

Macbook Pro with a couple monitors attached.

Occasionally I use my iphone to post, but I generally like to be at my full computer for doing longer pieces.
💻 DITM 📚
🛞 www.allterraininvesting.com 🛞