It's all about China

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

User avatar
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 11136
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:31 am

Re: It's all about China

Post by MachineGhost » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:20 pm

Well, we may have to import math and science engineers, but all the great concepts and ideas still originate in America (to be manufactured in China), so I don't think pigeonholing kids at 18, nevermind 16, makes any sense at all.  Who the hell knew exactly who they were and what they wanted in life at those ages?  And think of the ongoing terror of having to decide your own Brave New Worldish fate.  That makes for good conformists, not freethinkers.

Not to be snarky, but what exactly have the British accomplished since the Suez Canal crisis?  They're simply not relevant at anything anymore except as a tier player to the USA and except for London being the center of Forex or emerging market hucksters.  Likewise for the rest of Europe or China.  America has dynanism going for it even if it comes with some pretty unfortunate social costs.

Don't confuse me with a patriot.  I actually dislike American suburban-sprawl-shopping monoculture from coast to coast.  I think it is intellectually stiltyfing and to see the model replicated worldwide is a great source of eyerolling.
Last edited by MachineGhost on Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
User avatar
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2986
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:15 pm

Re: It's all about China

Post by sophie » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:06 pm

MachineGhost wrote: Not to be snarky, but what exactly have the British accomplished since the Suez Canal crisis?
Royal weddings and princes of course!  Stephen Hawking comes to mind also.

Do you know any outstanding engineer or scientist who wasn't obviously proficient in math and science at age 16?  Anyway, if a late bloomer did materialize, they could still join the party when able.  The point is that future auto mechanics and Macy's retail clerks really don't need to be continuing along the college prep pathway past age 16.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch." -- Benjamin Franklin
User avatar
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 3001
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:47 pm
Location: Florida USA
Contact:

Re: It's all about China

Post by Ad Orientem » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:16 pm

sophie wrote:
MachineGhost wrote: Not to be snarky, but what exactly have the British accomplished since the Suez Canal crisis?
Royal weddings and princes of course!  Stephen Hawking comes to mind also.

Do you know any outstanding engineer or scientist who wasn't obviously proficient in math and science at age 16?  Anyway, if a late bloomer did materialize, they could still join the party when able.  The point is that future auto mechanics and Macy's retail clerks really don't need to be continuing along the college prep pathway past age 16.
And they still hold two small remnants of the Empire, Gibraltar and the Falkland Islands (which they had to fight for in '82).
Ceterum censeo Trump delendum esse.

"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." M.Twain
User avatar
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 11136
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:31 am

Re: It's all about China

Post by MachineGhost » Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:13 pm

I am encouraged by this article:

Cat and dog lovers are a relatively new breed in China. Up until the 1980s, keeping pet dogs was illegal in Beijing, because pets were considered to be a bourgeois affectation. Restrictions were loosened in the 1990s and early 2000s. (A height limit on dogs is still in place.) By 2012 the city had more than 1 million registered pet dogs, now served by more than 300 pet hospitals, according to the Beijing Small Animal Veterinary Association. China has become the third-largest pet market in the world, after the U.S. and Brazil, according to Euromonitor International, and is home to 27 million dogs and 11 million cats.

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/20 ... population
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 4774
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: It's all about China

Post by technovelist » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:50 am

MachineGhost wrote: I am encouraged by this article:

Cat and dog lovers are a relatively new breed in China. Up until the 1980s, keeping pet dogs was illegal in Beijing, because pets were considered to be a bourgeois affectation. Restrictions were loosened in the 1990s and early 2000s. (A height limit on dogs is still in place.) By 2012 the city had more than 1 million registered pet dogs, now served by more than 300 pet hospitals, according to the Beijing Small Animal Veterinary Association. China has become the third-largest pet market in the world, after the U.S. and Brazil, according to Euromonitor International, and is home to 27 million dogs and 11 million cats.

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/20 ... population
So you're thinking that the immense waste of resources implied by millions of pets in China will keep them from overtaking us in world dominance? :P
User avatar
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 3730
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:54 am

Re: It's all about China

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:06 pm

technovelist wrote:
MachineGhost wrote: I am encouraged by this article:

Cat and dog lovers are a relatively new breed in China. Up until the 1980s, keeping pet dogs was illegal in Beijing, because pets were considered to be a bourgeois affectation. Restrictions were loosened in the 1990s and early 2000s. (A height limit on dogs is still in place.) By 2012 the city had more than 1 million registered pet dogs, now served by more than 300 pet hospitals, according to the Beijing Small Animal Veterinary Association. China has become the third-largest pet market in the world, after the U.S. and Brazil, according to Euromonitor International, and is home to 27 million dogs and 11 million cats.

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/20 ... population
So you're thinking that the immense waste of resources implied by millions of pets in China will keep them from overtaking us in world dominance? :P
Perhaps culinary dominance?  Stir fried dog, anyone? 

... Mountaineer
The world removes God; the Word gives Christ.
The devil accuses us; the Word sustains faith.
Sin says live for self; the Word says live for others.

The right-hand statement gives fortification against the unholy trinity of the left-hand statement.
User avatar
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 11136
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:31 am

Re: It's all about China

Post by MachineGhost » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:46 am

This stuff is really starting to snowball.  It'll be interesting to see how "Communist" Vietnam responds to "public pressure".
Animals Asia's campaign asking the Vietnamese Prime Minister to step in and save 23 bears from the Cau Trang Bear Farm in Halong Bay has received phenomenal international support.

Moon bear hero Lesley Nicol has added her name to the campaign. Thank you Lesley and the 83,000 who have signed and shared, including celebrities such as Stephen Fry, Dame Judi Dench, Ricky Gervais, Brian May, Olivia Newton-John, Ali MacGraw and Peter Egan. The response has been incredible and is beginning to be felt.
http://halong.animalsasia.org/savehalongbears/
Last edited by MachineGhost on Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 8021
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Location: next to emotional support peacock
Contact:

Re: It's all about China

Post by dualstow » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:16 am

OLD THREAD

I reviewed this thread after returning to China for two weeks this month. Still interesting.
ipo today
Venezuela’s Gold is Vanishing into Africa
User avatar
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 787
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:43 am

Re: It's all about China

Post by Maddy » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:25 pm

This was the first time I had read this thread, and what a wonderful post! Thank you!
User avatar
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1526
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:28 pm

Re: It's all about China

Post by Kriegsspiel » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:10 pm

User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 8021
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Location: next to emotional support peacock
Contact:

Re: It's all about China

Post by dualstow » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:50 pm

Interesting piece.
ipo today
Venezuela’s Gold is Vanishing into Africa
User avatar
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1526
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:28 pm

Re: It's all about China

Post by Kriegsspiel » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:44 pm

It's kinda funny that so much of our debt/deficit spending on welfare programs is funded by Chinese people working in factories and living in cramped hovels. You'd think Trump and those on unemployment would be more chill with offshoring jobs there.
Post Reply