It's all about China

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: It's all about China

Post by boglerdude » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:57 am

Nope, I saw the vid. It was the kind of thing he'd say so I wasnt shocked enough to download the video.

https://www.reddit.com/r/politicalfactc ... _did_this/
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:45 pm

‘IT’S JUST A WASTE OF MONEY’: CHINESE STUDENTS REGRET ENROLLING IN US UNIVERSITIES
“My advice is that unless you can go to Ivy League schools or good universities in big cities like New York and Los Angeles, don’t bother to come to the US because it’s just a waste of money,” he said.

“The reality is that I am going to a university that is not as good as the one I could have gone to in China, and our family is out 2 million yuan ($302,000).”

Hang Wei graduated with a bachelor’s degree in media from Purdue University two years ago but regrets it.
Heh.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:13 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:‘IT’S JUST A WASTE OF MONEY’: CHINESE STUDENTS REGRET ENROLLING IN US UNIVERSITIES
“My advice is that unless you can go to Ivy League schools or good universities in big cities like New York and Los Angeles, don’t bother to come to the US because it’s just a waste of money,” he said.

“The reality is that I am going to a university that is not as good as the one I could have gone to in China, and our family is out 2 million yuan ($302,000).”

Hang Wei graduated with a bachelor’s degree in media from Purdue University two years ago but regrets it.
Heh.
Sounds like these Chinese students are smarter than the US students, who generally don't figure out that it's often a waste of money very quickly. :P
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:47 pm

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/society ... how-be-men

How many Westerners shit themselves in rage after reading this?
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:55 pm

Not me for men being men and being thankful they are in a culture that is appreciative that men are exercising their gift of manhood - and hopefully women are likewise celebrated for their womanly gifts. Trying to make all equal isn’t realistic. Some think going for the lowest common denominator is progress. Personally, if I am in a really tough spot, I would rather have the 250 lb well trained manly man there to bail me out than a Swartznegger “girly man”.
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
jacksonM
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jacksonM » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:58 am

http://www.unz.com/freed/intelligent-de ... -environs/

Fred Reed on his trip to China....
For anyone who knows what China was before Deng Xiaoping took over in 1978, after Mao made his greatest contribution to his country–he died–the growth of prosperity astounds. Many criticisms may be made of the Chinese government, some of them valid, but no other government has lifted so many people out of poverty so fast.
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:08 pm

dualstow wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:50 pm
Interesting piece.
Not really. It shows gross ignorance about how a modern monetary system works. Macro money does NOT work like our money.

At the end of the day, China is sending us tangible things. They are getting US dollars in return which can be inflated, deflated or held stationary.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:48 pm

Kbg wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:08 pm
dualstow wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:50 pm
Interesting piece.
Not really. It shows gross ignorance about how a modern monetary system works. Macro money does NOT work like our money.

At the end of the day, China is sending us tangible things. They are getting US dollars in return which can be inflated, deflated or held stationary.
How does your comment relate to that article? You're saying that American's "could" do it by taking out our own loans? Your second paragraphlet was kind of the point of the article.
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:27 pm

I may have read the article too quickly...if I did, apologies! :-[
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:02 am

Kbg wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:27 pm
Well, to be fair you’ve only had a year to read it. O0
RIP Marcello Gandini
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:40 am

dualstow wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:02 am
Kbg wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:27 pm
Well, to be fair you’ve only had a year to read it. O0
Nice! Pulling knife out of gut now. :-)
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:17 am

😂
RIP Marcello Gandini
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Tue May 14, 2019 8:02 am

Life as one of China’s industrial worker ants did not suit Liu Xu: waking up early in factory accommodation, working for 11 hours operating a machine in the tool-making factory, eating all his meals in the factory canteen and going to bed, only to wake up and do it again.

His parents spent most of their lives in deadening jobs — his father on construction sites and his mother in factories — but 23-year-old Liu Xu lasted just a year in a factory in the southern China city of Dongguan. Half of that was the time his company invested in training him to work the machine before he up and quit.

Like Liu, a generation of young Chinese is turning its back on the factory jobs that once fueled China’s growth — and they are helping to transform the economy by doing it.

link
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Thu May 30, 2019 5:53 pm

Liz Ann Sonders @ Schwab pointed today out that steel and aluminum tarriffs haven't increased employment in those sub-sectors.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu May 30, 2019 8:46 pm

ochotona wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 5:53 pm
Liz Ann Sonders @ Schwab pointed out today that steel and aluminum tarriffs haven't increased employment in those sub-sectors.
Haven’t galvanized the workforce?
RIP Marcello Gandini
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Thu May 30, 2019 8:48 pm

dualstow wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 8:46 pm
ochotona wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 5:53 pm
Liz Ann Sonders @ Schwab pointed out today that steel and aluminum tarriffs haven't increased employment in those sub-sectors.
Haven’t galvanized the workforce?
Naw, galvanization involves zinc.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:05 am

shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:55 am

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:05 am
https://www.quora.com/How-is-China-able ... ustainable

Interesting read.
Smart thinking on there part.
But how many restrictions would surface if lakes were taken over to raise seafood
instead of jet ski's ? :D
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:56 am

Kriegsspiel wrote:

Interesting read.
Wow... They're going to take over, aren't they?
MomTo2Boys

Post by MomTo2Boys » Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:06 am

Xan wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:56 am
Kriegsspiel wrote:

Interesting read.
Wow... They're going to take over, aren't they?
I call BS on a ton of different parts of that article. I'm typing with my fingers on my phone or I would go off even more about the problems in that article, but let's just start with the article's continued reliance on showing yuan in dollars to show just how "cheap" the food is there. Sure, if you're an American throwing dollars around, you can buy huge spreads of food in a restaurant like what the article pictures, but the article ignores that translating yuan into dollars isn't rational if your argument is that those paying in yuan are able to buy huge feasts of cheap food including tons of whole fish (they aren't).

And don't get me started on the real reason why China values the growth of vegetables, which is because its society and its government both agree that subsidizing vegetables is it's primary food plan for its country. Meanwhile, in America we're stressing junk food, sugar, dairy, more junk food, more sugar, sodas, etc. The result of this is that poor Americans can best afford Little Debbie snack cakes and cannot afford fresh vegetables, whereas in China it is reversed: poor Chinese families can load up on vegetables (but not fruit and CERTAINLY not meat/fish) and cannot begin to afford something like Little Debbie snack cakes, which don't even exist in China.

If we in America decided to prioritize the growth of fresh vegetables in our country so that even the poorest of the poor could afford them in abundance, and decided that sugar, processed foods, dairy, and sodas were products not even worth manufacturing in the first place, well, I'd bet we'd blow the fresh vegetable manufacturing lid off of China in no time. But we don't.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:35 pm

MomTo2Boys wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:06 am

I call BS on a ton of different parts of that article. I'm typing with my fingers on my phone or I would go off even more about the problems in that article, but let's just start with the article's continued reliance on showing yuan in dollars to show just how "cheap" the food is there. Sure, if you're an American throwing dollars around, you can buy huge spreads of food in a restaurant like what the article pictures, but the article ignores that translating yuan into dollars isn't rational if your argument is that those paying in yuan are able to buy huge feasts of cheap food including tons of whole fish (they aren't).
Good point. I found a source for median 2015 real incomes for different Chinese regions. In Xinjang, where the author says watermelons cost 10 RMB, median income looks like 15,000 RMB. In the US midwest, 2017 regional income was $61,136. I don't know where the author got that $1.50/watermelon figure, but around here they're $4.00.

So in Xinjang, a watermelon costs 0.8% of monthly income, in the midwest US, it costs 0.07%, 11x more relatively expensive in China.

The fancy dinner for 8 that the author says costs $50 (at current exchange rates, 357 RMB) in Shandong, or $300 (2,142 RMB) in California would be:

In Shandong - 1% (for a Californian on vacation in Shandong), and 19% (for a Shandonger)
In California - 5.3% (for a Californian), and 117% (for a Shandonger on vacation in California)

of their monthly household income.

Note that the Chinese incomes have had taxes taken out, but the US ones didn't, so the numbers are off some.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:36 pm

MomTo2Boys wrote:
whereas in China it is reversed: poor Chinese families can load up on vegetables (but not fruit and CERTAINLY not meat/fish) and cannot begin to afford something like Little Debbie snack cakes, which don't even exist in China.

Who needs it when they’ve got red bean cakes and moon cakes aplenty? O0
RIP Marcello Gandini
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:39 pm

dualstow wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:36 pm
MomTo2Boys wrote:
whereas in China it is reversed: poor Chinese families can load up on vegetables (but not fruit and CERTAINLY not meat/fish) and cannot begin to afford something like Little Debbie snack cakes, which don't even exist in China.

I've been eating those moon cakes with enthusiasm all my life. It was just a couple years ago I actually decided to read the nutrition info. I really wish I was still in ignorant bliss. >:(
I still find the James Rickards portfolio fascinating.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:48 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:39 pm
dualstow wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:36 pm
MomTo2Boys wrote:

I've been eating those moon cakes with enthusiasm all my life. It was just a couple years ago I actually decided to read the nutrition info. I really wish I was still in ignorant bliss. >:(
Ok, there's a quote and a person that I did not expect to match up! As a....non-bodybuilding slob* like myself, whose diet mainly comprises belgian ales, pizza, salmon and brie, it's probably not going to change much to eat mooncakes.

But you, sir. I thought you'd avoid anything that ends in "cake" like the plague. And as far as cakes go, these have to be at the top of the list for promoting atherosclerosis.

Oh well. At least you had many years of fun. O0

*I actually look almost fit except for a blooming beer gut, but I don't doubt that my organs are not pretty.
RIP Marcello Gandini
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:04 pm

Moon Cakes suck. They're made from duck fat. It's literally the Chinese Christmas fruit cake that no one wants to eat.