Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: It's all about China

Post by MachineGhost » Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:13 pm

I am encouraged by this article:

Cat and dog lovers are a relatively new breed in China. Up until the 1980s, keeping pet dogs was illegal in Beijing, because pets were considered to be a bourgeois affectation. Restrictions were loosened in the 1990s and early 2000s. (A height limit on dogs is still in place.) By 2012 the city had more than 1 million registered pet dogs, now served by more than 300 pet hospitals, according to the Beijing Small Animal Veterinary Association. China has become the third-largest pet market in the world, after the U.S. and Brazil, according to Euromonitor International, and is home to 27 million dogs and 11 million cats.

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/20 ... population
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:50 am

MachineGhost wrote: I am encouraged by this article:

Cat and dog lovers are a relatively new breed in China. Up until the 1980s, keeping pet dogs was illegal in Beijing, because pets were considered to be a bourgeois affectation. Restrictions were loosened in the 1990s and early 2000s. (A height limit on dogs is still in place.) By 2012 the city had more than 1 million registered pet dogs, now served by more than 300 pet hospitals, according to the Beijing Small Animal Veterinary Association. China has become the third-largest pet market in the world, after the U.S. and Brazil, according to Euromonitor International, and is home to 27 million dogs and 11 million cats.

So you're thinking that the immense waste of resources implied by millions of pets in China will keep them from overtaking us in world dominance? :P
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:06 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
MachineGhost wrote: I am encouraged by this article:

So you're thinking that the immense waste of resources implied by millions of pets in China will keep them from overtaking us in world dominance? :P
Perhaps culinary dominance?  Stir fried dog, anyone? 

... Mountaineer
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:46 am

This stuff is really starting to snowball.  It'll be interesting to see how "Communist" Vietnam responds to "public pressure".
Animals Asia's campaign asking the Vietnamese Prime Minister to step in and save 23 bears from the Cau Trang Bear Farm in Halong Bay has received phenomenal international support.

Moon bear hero Lesley Nicol has added her name to the campaign. Thank you Lesley and the 83,000 who have signed and shared, including celebrities such as Stephen Fry, Dame Judi Dench, Ricky Gervais, Brian May, Olivia Newton-John, Ali MacGraw and Peter Egan. The response has been incredible and is beginning to be felt.
http://halong.animalsasia.org/savehalongbears/
Last edited by MachineGhost on Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:16 am

OLD THREAD

I reviewed this thread after returning to China for two weeks this month. Still interesting.
RIP Marcello Gandini
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:25 pm

This was the first time I had read this thread, and what a wonderful post! Thank you!
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:10 pm

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:50 pm

Interesting piece.
RIP Marcello Gandini
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:44 pm

It's kinda funny that so much of our debt/deficit spending on welfare programs is funded by Chinese people working in factories and living in cramped hovels. You'd think Trump and those on unemployment would be more chill with offshoring jobs there.
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:40 pm

I coulda sworn I saw the video where Trump says he would run as a republican because they'll believe anything.

Now I'm getting gaslighted lol
https://www.reddit.com/r/politicalfactc ... _did_this/

In any event, we can never know what politicians actually believe
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:04 am

https://americanaffairsjournal.org/2017 ... rspective/
I had always thought that things happen for reasons. My parents taught me that good people get rewarded while evil gets punished. My teachers at school taught me that if you work hard, you will succeed, and if you never try, you will surely fail. When I picked up the book, I was studying math at Cambridge University and, as I looked back at the standardized tests and intense study that had defined my life until then, I could see no uncertainty.

But since reading Rubin’s book, I have come to see the world differently. Robert Rubin never intended to become the senior partner of Goldman Sachs: a few years into his career, he even handed in his resignation. Just as in Rubin’s career, I find that maybe randomness is not merely the noise but the dominant factor. And those reasons we assign to historical events are often just ex post rationalizations. As rising generations are taught the rationalizations, they conclude that things always happen for a reason.
I studied economics at Cambridge, a field which has become more and more mathematical since the 1970s. The goal is always to use a mathematical model to find a closed-form solution to a real-world problem. Looking back, I’m not sure why my professors were so focused on these models. I have since found that the mistake of blindly relying on models is quite widespread in both trading and investing—often with disastrous results, such as the infamous collapse of the hedge fund Long-Term Capital Management. Years later, I discovered the teaching of Warren Buffett: it is better to be approximately right than precisely wrong. But our professors taught us to think of the real world as a math problem.
I began working as a trader at Goldman in 2007. Goldman’s unofficial motto is “be long-term greedy.” I found that my Goldman colleagues were very smart and competitive. However, I actually didn’t see much of the “long-term” part of the “long-term greedy” culture. Goldman Sachs, even with its reputation as the top investment bank, has been involved in scandals in mortgage products, trades with the Greek government, its links with Malaysia’s corrupt 1MDB, and so on. Maybe this is due to the fact that Goldman is now a public company with a quarterly earnings call. Maybe it is because the position of the trading desk where I worked was marked to market in real time. When you see the number change in front of you from second to second—and especially when that number is not going in the right direction—even one day can feel like eternity. That tells you how long-term oriented traders are in general.
One class was about strategy. It focused on how corporate mottos and logos could inspire employees. Many of the students had worked for nonprofits or health care or tech companies, all of which had mottos about changing the world, saving lives, saving the planet, etc. The professor seemed to like these mottos. I told him that at Goldman our motto was “be long-term greedy.” The professor couldn’t understand this motto or why it was inspiring. I explained to him that everyone else in the market was short-term greedy and, as a result, we took all their money. Since traders like money, this was inspiring. He asked if perhaps there was another motto or logo that my other classmates might connect with. I told him about the black swan I kept on my desk as a reminder that low probability events happen with high frequency. He didn’t like that motto either and decided to call on another student, who had worked at Pfizer. Their motto was “all people deserve to live healthy lives.” The professor thought this was much better. I didn’t understand how it would motivate employees, but this was exactly why I had come to Stanford: to learn the key lessons of interpersonal communication and leadership.
My favorite class was called “Interpersonal Dynamics” or, as students referred to it, “Touchy Feely.” In “Touchy Feely,” students get very candid feedback on how their words and actions affect others in a small group that meets several hours per week for a whole quarter.

We talked about microaggressions and feelings and empathy and listening. Sometimes in class the professor would say things to me like “Puzhong, when Mary said that, I could see you were really feeling something,” or “Puzhong, I could see in your eyes that Peter’s story affected you.” And I would tell them I didn’t feel anything. I was quite confused.

One of the papers we studied mentioned that subjects are often not conscious of their own feelings when fully immersed in a situation. But body indicators such as heart rate would show whether the person is experiencing strong emotions. I thought that I generally didn’t have a lot of emotions and decided that this might be a good way for me to discover my hidden emotions that the professor kept asking about.

So I bought a heart rate monitor and checked my resting heart rate. Right around 78. And when the professor said to me in class “Puzhong, I can see that story brought up some emotions in you,” I rolled up my sleeve and checked my heart rate. It was about 77. And so I said, “nope, no emotion.” The experiment seemed to confirm my prior belief: my heart rate hardly moved, even when I was criticized, though it did jump when I became excited or laughed.

This didn’t land well on some of my classmates. They felt I was not treating these matters with the seriousness that they deserved. The professor was very angry. My takeaway was that my interpersonal skills were so bad that I could easily offend people unintentionally, so I concluded that after graduation I should do something that involved as little human interaction as possible.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:04 pm

boglerdude wrote:I coulda sworn I saw the video where Trump says he would run as a republican because they'll believe anything.

Now I'm getting gaslighted lol

In any event, we can never know what politicians actually believe
I know some people here don’t like Snopes, but-
https://www.snopes.com/1998-trump-people-quote/
RIP Marcello Gandini
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:57 am

Nope, I saw the vid. It was the kind of thing he'd say so I wasnt shocked enough to download the video.

Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:45 pm

‘IT’S JUST A WASTE OF MONEY’: CHINESE STUDENTS REGRET ENROLLING IN US UNIVERSITIES
“My advice is that unless you can go to Ivy League schools or good universities in big cities like New York and Los Angeles, don’t bother to come to the US because it’s just a waste of money,” he said.

“The reality is that I am going to a university that is not as good as the one I could have gone to in China, and our family is out 2 million yuan ($302,000).”

Hang Wei graduated with a bachelor’s degree in media from Purdue University two years ago but regrets it.
Heh.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:13 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:‘IT’S JUST A WASTE OF MONEY’: CHINESE STUDENTS REGRET ENROLLING IN US UNIVERSITIES
“My advice is that unless you can go to Ivy League schools or good universities in big cities like New York and Los Angeles, don’t bother to come to the US because it’s just a waste of money,” he said.

“The reality is that I am going to a university that is not as good as the one I could have gone to in China, and our family is out 2 million yuan ($302,000).”

Hang Wei graduated with a bachelor’s degree in media from Purdue University two years ago but regrets it.
Heh.
Sounds like these Chinese students are smarter than the US students, who generally don't figure out that it's often a waste of money very quickly. :P
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:47 pm

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/society ... how-be-men

How many Westerners shit themselves in rage after reading this?
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:55 pm

Not me for men being men and being thankful they are in a culture that is appreciative that men are exercising their gift of manhood - and hopefully women are likewise celebrated for their womanly gifts. Trying to make all equal isn’t realistic. Some think going for the lowest common denominator is progress. Personally, if I am in a really tough spot, I would rather have the 250 lb well trained manly man there to bail me out than a Swartznegger “girly man”.
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
jacksonM
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jacksonM » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:58 am

http://www.unz.com/freed/intelligent-de ... -environs/

Fred Reed on his trip to China....
For anyone who knows what China was before Deng Xiaoping took over in 1978, after Mao made his greatest contribution to his country–he died–the growth of prosperity astounds. Many criticisms may be made of the Chinese government, some of them valid, but no other government has lifted so many people out of poverty so fast.
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:08 pm

dualstow wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:50 pm
Interesting piece.
Not really. It shows gross ignorance about how a modern monetary system works. Macro money does NOT work like our money.

At the end of the day, China is sending us tangible things. They are getting US dollars in return which can be inflated, deflated or held stationary.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:48 pm

Kbg wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:08 pm
dualstow wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:50 pm
Interesting piece.
Not really. It shows gross ignorance about how a modern monetary system works. Macro money does NOT work like our money.

At the end of the day, China is sending us tangible things. They are getting US dollars in return which can be inflated, deflated or held stationary.
How does your comment relate to that article? You're saying that American's "could" do it by taking out our own loans? Your second paragraphlet was kind of the point of the article.
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:27 pm

I may have read the article too quickly...if I did, apologies! :-[
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:02 am

Kbg wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:27 pm
Well, to be fair you’ve only had a year to read it. O0
RIP Marcello Gandini
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:40 am

dualstow wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:02 am
Kbg wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:27 pm
Well, to be fair you’ve only had a year to read it. O0
Nice! Pulling knife out of gut now. :-)
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:17 am

😂
RIP Marcello Gandini
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Tue May 14, 2019 8:02 am

Life as one of China’s industrial worker ants did not suit Liu Xu: waking up early in factory accommodation, working for 11 hours operating a machine in the tool-making factory, eating all his meals in the factory canteen and going to bed, only to wake up and do it again.

His parents spent most of their lives in deadening jobs — his father on construction sites and his mother in factories — but 23-year-old Liu Xu lasted just a year in a factory in the southern China city of Dongguan. Half of that was the time his company invested in training him to work the machine before he up and quit.

Like Liu, a generation of young Chinese is turning its back on the factory jobs that once fueled China’s growth — and they are helping to transform the economy by doing it.

link
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.