The Coming Great Transition: From Scarcity to Abundance

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

The Coming Great Transition: From Scarcity to Abundance

Post by MachineGhost »

Our global civilization is currently undergoing a tremendous set of transitions that will ultimately result in the dismantling of much of the way that we currently live and the construction of a new “civilization model”?. Over the next several months, I will be laying out many of the major challenges that we will face during this transition and propose solutions. I will then outline a practical plan that could enable us to actively make that transition in an elegant bottoms-up fashion (i.e. without requiring any willing participation from existing social and political institutions).

https://medium.com/emergent-culture/the ... 0d62da77d4
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: The Coming Great Transition: From Scarcity to Abundance

Post by MachineGhost »

Desert wrote: Will electricity be too cheap to meter?
If Moore's Law is any indication, yes:

Last edited by MachineGhost on Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick »

Yeah, the way solar's going, it's going to stand on its own without subsidies very soon. I'm very strongly considering changing my heat-generating appliances from natural gas to electricity when they need replacement as a sort of implicit bet on this trend, and adding solar panels which are really astonishingly cheap nowadays.
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

Pointedstick wrote: Yeah, the way solar's going, it's going to stand on its own without subsidies very soon. I'm very strongly considering changing my heat-generating appliances from natural gas to electricity when they need replacement as a sort of implicit bet on this trend, and adding solar panels which are really astonishingly cheap nowadays.
And if it helps frack the Middle East, all the better!  Although SA has the lowest cost of onshore oil production in the world at $27 a barrel.  A long way to go.

dragoncar
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dragoncar »

MachineGhost wrote:
Desert wrote: Will electricity be too cheap to meter?
If Moore's Law is any indication, yes:

But the cost of metering is also going down, as technology improves.  No longer do we need a person to come out and read the meter, transport a paper bill via truck, etc.
invst65

Post by invst65 »

The natural belief in scarcity has a long evolutionary history on its side, don't you think?

My primary question is will this transition require re-education camps on the scale of Russia and China in the last century or can it be done without mass-extermination of humans?
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

invst65 wrote: My primary question is will this transition require re-education camps on the scale of Russia and China in the last century or can it be done without mass-extermination of humans?
Naw, the re-education camps will evolve too so that everyone has their own personal internment center!

[img width=1024]http://www.realfoodgirlunmodified.com/w ... heeple.jpg[/img]

I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged »

Pointedstick wrote: Yeah, the way solar's going, it's going to stand on its own without subsidies very soon. I'm very strongly considering changing my heat-generating appliances from natural gas to electricity when they need replacement as a sort of implicit bet on this trend, and adding solar panels which are really astonishingly cheap nowadays.
I haven't done the math, but I think solar will soon be very practical.  I've messed with it a little, and the prices keep coming down.  Imagine a society with solar powered houses and a lot of electric cars.  I think both will happen.
Stay free, my friends.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy »

I Shrugged wrote:
I haven't done the math, but I think solar will soon be very practical.  I've messed with it a little, and the prices keep coming down.  Imagine a society with solar powered houses and a lot of electric cars.  I think both will happen.
My thought process has always been that *all* energy on earth (other than geo-thermal and nuclear) is solar energy.  Some of it has been held in storage for a few millennium, but it is solar energy nonetheless.

Current technologies aren't promising, but there is a lot of sunshine hitting the earth and a lot of unused land mass.  I have to believe that we can come up with something at least as efficient as photosynthesis, rainwater and wind.
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

Mark Leavy wrote: Current technologies aren't promising, but there is a lot of sunshine hitting the earth and a lot of unused land mass.  I have to believe that we can come up with something at least as efficient as photosynthesis, rainwater and wind.
How efficient is photosynthesis in terms of sunlight conversion anyway?  I think the highest scientists have gotten up to so far is around 40% in the prototype stage, not counting strange bio-synthetic hybrids.

I'm looking forward to the 5-min fast-charge graphite batteries.  Now that is revolutionary!

Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy »

MachineGhost wrote: How efficient is photosynthesis in terms of sunlight conversion anyway?  I think the highest scientists have gotten up to so far is around 40% in the prototype stage, not counting strange bio-synthetic hybrids.
3 to 6 percent.
And that is the source of nearly all energy currently used today.  But we're using it faster than it is being made.
That is a solvable problem.
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick »

Most solar cells are in the range of 12-20% efficient, actually. It doesn't sound like much, but hey, the input is effectively unlimited! That's what's exciting. Once you've got the unit, it just gives you free energy forever. In many ways, the economics of it remind me strong of of the finances of a person who's financially independent. You pay upfront for a continued stream that eventually breaks your ties to "the system" and actions you have to take to transact within it, and you also gain resilience from shocks to that system.
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
dragoncar
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dragoncar »

Mark Leavy wrote:
I Shrugged wrote:
My thought process has always been that *all* energy on earth (other than geo-thermal and nuclear) is solar energy.  Some of it has been held in storage for a few millennium, but it is solar energy nonetheless.

Current technologies aren't promising, but there is a lot of sunshine hitting the earth and a lot of unused land mass.  I have to believe that we can come up with something at least as efficient as photosynthesis, rainwater and wind.
Tidal energy isn't solar unless you take a very roundabout definition of solar (ie everything is made from ancient star matter)