Moderator: Global Moderator

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Charitable Giving

Post by dualstow »

vnatale wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:26 am
dualstow wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:39 pm
vnatale wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 9:38 pm It is possible that almost six years ago was the last time Charitable Giving was discussed in this forum?

No, that is not the case. See ‘Donating Appreciated Assets’ or the Powerball thread, for example.
I could possibly see finding it by divining to do a search on the former. But the latter? Who would ever think to do a search for Charitable Giving by searching for "Powerball"?

Vinny
Not I. I simply searched for the word ‘charity’ and tons of stuff came up, including those two threads.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne »

Mountaineer, in the days of the Caesars did state revenues fund charitable institutions?

As far as I know, it all went for public works, roads, armies, and (of course) Caesar's palace and lifestyle. They didn't have anything like food stamps, Medicaid, HUD, etc. The fact that big chunks of government budgets are now used to fund charitable endeavors makes that ancient analogy just a wee bit obsolete.
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ad Orientem »

The Romans did indeed have a system of public welfare.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Ad Orientem wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:59 am The Romans did indeed have a system of public welfare.

Yet this practice also existed at the same time: Roman Exposure of Infants

https://www.thoughtco.com/roman-exposur ... nts-118370

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 »

Yeah, they didn't have surgical abortions available, like we do now. So they had welfare and on-demand abortions back then just like we do now.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

stuper1 wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:44 pm Yeah, they didn't have surgical abortions available, like we do now. So they had welfare and on-demand abortions back then just like we do now.
They were not on-demand abortions. That were abandoning the already born to die.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 »

Is that a distinction without a difference?
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

stuper1 wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:10 pm Is that a distinction without a difference?
In our present day it is. If the baby is still inside the woman, it is considered an abortion. Once it emerges it is considered either murder or infanticide.

Vinny
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 »

Yeah, I knew all that. Either way the little tyke ends up dead.
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ad Orientem »

stuper1 wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:51 pm Yeah, I knew all that. Either way the little tyke ends up dead.

Kyrie eleison.