Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: abortion discussion

Post by Mountaineer » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:07 pm

moda0306 wrote: Mountaineer,

Well if you can find where God informs us of these end-of-life matters in terms of what he thinks, I'd love to read it.  You seem to carry opinions of things and then when they get challenged, often defer to God, who oftentimes, even in Scripture, doesn't make it clear exactly what he wants from us when we get into the nitty-gritty details.

You made an overt claim that people who want certain end of life care are "gullible."  You seem to have very specific feelings on the matter that it would seem you wouldn't have to defer to God, who hasn't really laid out his thoughts on "pulling the plug on Grandpa" in Scripture.  If God hasn't spoken on a subject, even assuming we believe that the Bible is the 100% true Word of God, why defer to him?  We can guess what he would want, but that's about it.  We talk about our opinions all the time here... regarding all sorts of subjects... why when you get into a gray area do you shut down and say "why does it matter what I think... it only matters what God thinks?"  That sounds humble and all, but it's a pretty useless statement unless God has a way (or had a way) of informing us what is right/wrong abot keeping people alive at the end of life.  Someday medical technology might be able to keep human flesh alive FAR beyond its consciousness and health has died.  I would hope that the religious folks out there wouldn't look upon discussions of the moral implications of this to be either something that 1) earns terms like "gullible" and earns accusations of a disrespect for life, or 2) upon further debate, simply gets side stepped by saying "why does my opinion even matter?  Only God's matters." 

Does that mean you have no opinion on the matter?  If not, why call people "gullible?"  If so, then why not share it with us and have it critiqued.

And as a practical matter, I absolutely DON'T, in most states, have the right to simply "arrange my legal affairs accordingly."  I can't choose to end my life eary if I'm struck with cancer in many states.  People simply don't have that option.  In large part, this is due to religious folks that think life is so sacred as a matter of principle, that is in ALL cases morally reprehensible to let it go a little early.

So I really DO care what you think... cuz what YOU think aligns with those who vote yahoos into office that won't allow a change of policy towards end-of life decisions.  And these yahoos, IMO, are "gullible" followers of organized religion... usually the one their parents picked for them... or in some cases (Barack Obama), the one they thought would help their political/economic career.
Please read the Fifth Commandment material in this link.  Do you agree with it? 

http://bookofconcord.org/lc-3-tencommandments.php

I belive in the separation of church and state.  I believe in following the law of the state unless it conflicts with God's law.  I beliive in changing the state's laws if you don't like them, but follow the law until it is changed.  If you want to end your life, physician assisted, move to Oregon.  Otherwise it is just a matter of convenience you are debating.  So, why is it important what I "think" about end-of-life decisions?  If it is legal, let the person do it, just like they are free to do all sorts of sinful things that are legal - you and I do them most every moment of every day.  Or, let them blow their brains out with a gun, or slit their wrists with a knife.  Those chicken hearted cowards just don't want to experience pain for their decisions and take the easy way out by having someone else do them in.  Man up, I say; do it yourself.  Why worry about it being legal, what are they going to do?  Kill you because you broke a borked law?  Why get hung up on killing yourself if you don't believe in God or following His desires?  I really hate to break the news to you, but people are sinful from conception forward and do sinful, evil things; that is just the way it is.  You are not going to eliminate evil from the world with laws written by man or by telling me or anyone else how to vote, even if you are "king for a day" and revise every last rule, regulation, or law to fit your personal worldview.  All my opinion of course, maybe I'm wrong. 

... Mountaineer
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:34 pm

You made an overt claim that people who want certain end of life care are "gullible." 
Yes, assuming your "certain end of life care" statement is choosing to end life by unnatural means; I stand by my statement they are gullible.  They are gullible to the lies of Satan, as well as a secular culture that makes it "all about me" and whatever "I" think is right is OK.  This will likely sound very strange to you, but I think the person who makes that choice is probably an unbeliver that continues to value himself above all others (should we call that end-of-life narcissism?) - for example, he is denying his friends and family the opportunity love and cherish final moments and to care for him, especially if they are in a traditional "until death do us part" loving, caring, marriage and not one of those "until I tire of you" marriages.

... Mountaineer
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:04 pm

Let's put the shittiness and grittiness and isolate one point that I want to ask you about:
I DO think said doctor is a murderer, but I myself am responsible, I think, for at least one abortion.
You wrote something to that effect earlier, but what does that mean? (Or, are the details in earlier pages?)
You got someone pregnant in university and she quietly aborted without revealing that you are the father, but you suspect as much?
You planned to marry a pregnant woman but things went sour and you went your separate ways?
If it's something like that, you would onlly partially responsible, if at all.
I mean, I think both progenitors should play a role where possible, but ultimately, according to man's law anyway, it usually comes down to the woman's right to choose, right?
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:09 pm

..... what is right/wrong abot keeping people alive at the end of life.  ......
I do not see this any differently, from a Scripture or personal perspective, than choosing to prolong ones life by taking antibotics when one has an otherwise fatal infection.  Keeping someone alive via technology that God gave us the ability to invent is completely different than choosing to end one's life.  Life is a precious gift from God even more so than the gift of reason that enabled us to invent the technology to prolong life.  Ditto the gift of a Savior, marriage, children, money, home, and parents, everything.  Why squander any of it?  When it is time for life to end, that is when the weight of sin has ground us down, back into dust, our life ends, in God's time of choosing.  "For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord."  Romans 6:23.  I know how much you value Scripture to address your questions.  ;)

... Mountaineer
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:21 am

Desert wrote:
And in case you misunderstood my firing squad comment:  I'm not a huge fan of the death penalty.  I often lean dangerously left in the eyes of my Christian buddies (although I've recently discovered a whole band of Christians who aren't staunch Republicans).  I think the death penalty comes with huge risks, since it's been shown that the innocent have been executed in this country.  A small percentage perhaps, but still possible.  Anyway, I made comment regarding the firing squad because I think our search for a more humane death penalty has probably resulted in the opposite, with stories of botched electric chair procedures, and botched lethal injections.  It seems that we've ended up in a worse place that when firing squads were used. 
I'm with Desert on this one.  Does the term "humane death" strike anyone else as an oxymoron - just another attempt to PCize all of us to what is really happening or anesthesize the public so they don't really think about it too much?  Dead is dead; just call a thing what it is.  It strikes me the use of the term "humane death" by our culture is similar to one who walks up to the casket at a funeral service and makes mundane comments like "don't they look nice?", or "she looks so peaceful" .... bull crap, they are DEAD and death is not pretty; it is a stinking ugly thing if you have ever been around what happens at death re. losing control of body functions etc., especially if the body is not found for a few days.  Maybe that is why we have gone to such lengths to avoid staring death in the face by use of funeral homes, nursing homes, hospitals, hospices and the like - shield us from death, hide it, don't talk about it, so we don't ask too many questions about what happens to us after death and why we have to die - we might inadvertently stumble into the truth.  I sometimes think we would all be better off if we had to clean up grandpa ourselves, before digging the grave in the back yard ourselves, and burying him ourselves - we would have to stare reality in the face.  But, we don't want to experience uncomfortable situations, life is so much easier and pleasant when we are temporarily "happy"; we do want to live in the moment and not think of what the future holds for every one of us, don't we?  From a Christian point of view, dead is not the way God intended his creatures to be and we know there is hope, there is light, there is peace and joy forever - regardless of the dark reality around us that tries mightly to suck us in, just like a black hole.

... Mountaineer
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:41 am

Desert wrote: Back on the general topic of death: I think we're all capable of Nazi-like actions.  I used to watch the documentaries and think about how twisted and horrible those Germans were.  A friend of mine from the past (a bit of a bleeding heart) would argue that Americans were just as bad in their treatment of the natives on this continent. 
Left and Right, black and white, we're all capable of that sort of behavior.  And we're not growing out of it, as a human race.  We're not getting better, improving, or becoming more civilized.  At the end of the day, humans are sinful and they like to kill each other. 

I know that sounds depressing and defeatist, and I don't mean it that way.
I can see some similarities. Both involved genocide. Both involved regarding the target of that genocide as subhuman, sometimes to facilitate the genocide and sometimes out of genuine feeling (depends on the individual). And I have some sympathy with pro-lifers who point out that those in favor of abortion define a fetus as less than human so that abortion is not murder.

I think of what whites did in the Americas as conquering and theft, though it was a holocaust, no doubt. What stands out for me about the Nazis is that in addition to conquering, starving and slaughtering their Slavic neighbors, they turned on their own countrymen. Jews, Roma, etc. So many Jews fought so hard for Germany in WWI (and never mind all the history that came before the world wars). What if everyone named John Smith, even scientists and those who fought for the U.S. in Iraq and Afghanistan, was murdered along with his children because some years later a group arose decided that they didn't like the John Smiths of the world. Crazy.

I would argue that abortion is "equal opportunity killing" but the topic has been raised that abortion, like incarceration, is racially biased. I think that's something I need to explore further.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:54 am

There's also sex-selection bias in abortion.  Britain has had to make that specifically illegal.  But doesn't that undercut the entire pro-abort argument?  If it's the mother's choice, and her absolute right to eject anybody from her body that she doesn't want there, then there can be no justification for banning sex-selective abortion.
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:20 pm

I think the most humane method of execution would probably be waiting until the to-be-executed was asleep, and then crushing him very quickly with a gigantic multi-ton hydraulic press. It'd be quick, painless, and without any apprehension, either, since he'd already be asleep. Of course this would probably look pretty gross. It seems to me that the more we try to visually sanitize the process of killing, the more brutal to the victim we actually make the process (e.g. electric chair, gas chamber, recent revelations about lethal injection).  Hanging and firing squad seem orders of magnitude more humane than our most recent methods.
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:22 pm

Pointedstick wrote: I think the most humane method of execution would probably be waiting until the to-be-executed was asleep, and then crushing him very quickly with a gigantic multi-ton hydraulic press. It'd be quick, painless, and without any apprehension, either, since he'd already be asleep. Of course this would probably look pretty gross. It seems to me that the more we try to visually sanitize the process of killing, the more brutal to the victim we actually make the process (e.g. electric chair, gas chamber, recent revelations about lethal injection).  Hanging and firing squad seem orders of magnitude more humane than our most recent methods.
I laughed my ass off after the bolded portion.  I don't know why.  It just reads funny as hell for such a heated discussion.
"Men did not make the earth. It is the value of the improvements only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property. Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds."

- Thomas Paine
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:06 pm

MangoMan wrote:
mountaineer wrote: Does the term "humane death" strike anyone else as an oxymoron?
Not really. Does euthanasia of a terminal dog, cat or horse in pain strike you as inhumane? Aren't they God's creatures? Who are we as humans to play God and decide for our loving pet when enough is enough? Why is it any different for humans?
Hmmmm.  Interesting point.  It made me think for a few minutes.  Then I realized, once again, why I'm so thankful I am a Christian and thankful for the wisdom God put forth in His Holy Book to guide us in such sticky matters. 

From Genesis, Chapter 1:
26 Then God said, “Let us make man in our image, after our likeness. And let them have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over the livestock and over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.”?
27 So God created man in his own image,
    in the image of God he created him;
    male and female he created them.
28 And God blessed them. And God said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth and subdue it, and have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over every living thing that moves on the earth.”?

From Genesis Chapter 4:
4 and Abel also brought of the firstborn of his flock and of their fat portions. And the Lord had regard for Abel and his offering,

And from Genesis Chapter 9:
3 Every moving thing that lives shall be food for you. And as I gave you the green plants, I give you everything.

This is why it is acceptable to harvest plants to eat and kill animals.  We are to exercise good stewardship over God's creation.  God made man as the pinacle of His creation for a reason.  Using your God given reason to decide when to kill animals is acceptable, killing people without the proper authority is very clearly specified as a very big no-no.  Very short answer and there is some additional Scripture on the topic, but I think this is sufficient.

... Mountaineer
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:15 pm

Pointedstick wrote: I think the most humane method of execution would probably be waiting until the to-be-executed was asleep, and then crushing him very quickly with a gigantic multi-ton hydraulic press.
But there would inevitably be a malfunction, and the condemned would be slowly squeezed to death. Incidentally, a classmate once asked me what I thought would be the worst way to die and I said being squeezed to death, like by an anaconda. (He had guessed I'd say death by oven because I was Jewish, to which I replied, 'I don't think you'd like it either.  ;) )
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:18 pm

MangoMan wrote:
mountaineer wrote: Does the term "humane death" strike anyone else as an oxymoron?
Not really. Does euthanasia of a terminal dog, cat or horse in pain strike you as inhumane? Aren't they God's creatures? Who are we as humans to play God and decide for our loving pet when enough is enough? Why is it any different for humans?
+1 There is humane treatment and inhumane treatment. And, there is humane execution, (morphine overdose), and inhumane (tearing someone's entrails out slowly).
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:51 pm

dualstow wrote:
MangoMan wrote:
+1 There is humane treatment and inhumane treatment. And, there is humane execution, (morphine overdose), and inhumane (tearing someone's entrails out slowly).
Hey guys, we are getting off track of what I meant.  I just meant that it seems like an oxymoron to talk about various "humane" methods of putting one to death (firing squad, hanging, electric chair, lethal injection, guillitine, all have been used by civilized societies and all have their issues) and losing track of the idea that death is final to the one being killed.  I was not intending to get into the dark side of humanity or torture; I did point out that we are stewards of God's creation, that to me implies we do not go to the dark side or torture in our killing, whether it be animals or authorized killing by government.  It just struck me that we are more worried more about how the executioners and public will "feel" and try to justify their actions and methods rather than focus on the actual act of killing that is being committed. 

... Mountaineer 
Last edited by Mountaineer on Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:28 pm

I respectfully disagree, Mountaineer. (You and I are in the U.S., and with respect to other forum members, that's what I'm writing about when I say) we are in a secular state, not a theocracy, and some states have the deathy penalty. Once it is a forgone conclusion that there are going to be executions, I am glad that someone is trying to perform them humanely, all the horrible past mistakes notwithstanding.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:46 pm

dualstow wrote: I respectfully disagree, Mountaineer. (You and I are in the U.S., and with respect to other forum members, that's what I'm writing about when I say) we are in a secular state, not a theocracy, and some states have the deathy penalty. Once it is a forgone conclusion that there are going to be executions, I am glad that someone is trying to perform them humanely, all the horrible past mistakes notwithstanding.
On one level I agree with you and if killing must be done, I think it should not be torture.  On another level, I am more focused on the idea that we should not kill anyone, regardless of method, but I realize that is idealistic in our secular state of the USA.  On a third level, I really wonder if it is more humane to kill than to lock them up and throw away the key - that way, there would always be time for the convicted to repent and not lose his life eternally.  I realize that costs society more than the killing, but then that drives me to think that we are more interested, as a society, in saving those bucks for our own other purposes ... selfish, I don't know for sure but I'm tending toward killing being somehow darkly more for the benefit of those doing the killing rather than being altruistic and caring for the one being killed.  Tough subject.  I still am pondering that oxymoron thing though.

... Mountaineer
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:57 pm

Mountaineer wrote: On a third level, I really wonder if it is more humane to kill than to lock them up and throw away the key - that way, there would always be time for the convicted to repent and not lose his life eternally.
I can't comment on the 'eternally'/afterlife part, but I think in some cases being on death row for decades must be worse than just getting the execution over with on day one like they do with drug dealers in China.
I realize that costs society more than the killing
It depends. Appeals can be very expensive on both sides.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:01 pm

Desert: it's off-topic here, but maybe we could have a thread on how you found religion. I'd be interested to hear how and when (at what point in your life) it came about. If you're interested.
Cheers.
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:14 pm

Desert wrote: On one hand, I'm pretty embarrassed to share my life story, because it's kind of weird and non-typical
I would be very surprised if that didn't describe most of us nutrition-obsessed polite-religion-discussing beans-and-bullets-hoarding libertarian-leaning permanent-portfolio-investing weirdos.
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:23 am

My story's pretty damn boring, Desert. Aside from the fact that I spent many years overseas teaching English, I've got a pleasant life and a vivid imagination but nothing that would make a broadway play.  Well, the imagination might, but the life would not.  :) No Presidential Medal of Freedom, nor any scandals.
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:07 pm

moda0306 wrote: So I really DO care what you think... cuz what YOU think aligns with those who vote yahoos into office that won't allow a change of policy towards end-of life decisions.  And these yahoos, IMO, are "gullible" followers of organized religion... usually the one their parents picked for them... or in some cases (Barack Obama), the one they thought would help their political/economic career.
Those yahoos don't live in reality with the consequences of their religious mysticism beliefs, like the yahoo that said women can't get pregnant if they are raped.  I mean, what do you expect from yahoos that engage in the cognitive bias of appealing to authority?  They wash their hands of any critical thinking.  It's a position of weakness and weakness corrupts absolutely.

Anyway, time for a dose of reality: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/facing-death/
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:47 am

Oh my! So very very sad.
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ad Orientem » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:46 pm

Desert wrote:This is a very old thread, but I didn't want to start a new one. I hate discussing this topic, because it's terribly depressing. But it's probably the most important moral issue of our time, so it deserves discussion...
Abortion is the great moral issue of our age, in the same way that slavery was in the 19th century. And the similarities are stark. In both instances you have one group of people trying to strip another group of people of their basic identity as human beings in order to reduce them to the status of property, that can then be disposed of in whatever manner is convenient to the owner. I believe that with the general acceptance of prenatal infanticide on an industrial scale, even to the point of elevating it to the status of a "human right," that we have crossed over into a new Dark Age. An era of barbarism that would make the ancient Roman's and their fondness for blood sports seem quite civilized by comparison. I know there are a lot of folks on this forum who don't believe in God. And at times I almost hope they are right. Because if there is a God, one has to wonder how much more of this He is going to put up with before dropping the hammer. I note that in Britain today there is a hospital that together with the courts are trying desperately to kill a small boy against the wishes of his parents. It's as if the entire world has gone mad, or alternatively been given over to demonic possession.

The world desperately needs a moral reawakening and a revived abolitionist movement.