Election 2014

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

pp4me3
Associate Member
Associate Member

Election 2014

Post by pp4me3 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:51 pm

I think it might have been one of the most important ones in my lifetime because it squares off Obama's intention to create an open-borders (democrat-voting) America against the majority of the American people who think there is some semblance of a culture left that they would like to preserve.

Putting this crucial question in the hands of Republicans, given their past record, gives me no confidence but I think it's basically a good sign any way.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Election 2014

Post by WiseOne » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:22 am

I would think that the economy and ISIS loomed far larger in most voters' minds.  When a lot of people are doing poorly economically, as many are, whoever is in office suffers for it regardless of whose fault it is.  I've seen this happen to Republicans and Democrats alike several times over the past couple decades.

ISIS on the other hand can be laid squarely at Obama's feet.  There's a great recent Frontline episode about this.  In contrast to episodes on the 2008 debacle that glorified Obama no end, this one was sharply critical of him.  Among other things, they made the case that Obama should have made a public statement denouncing the massacre of Sunni protesters in 2012 and at least threatened to impose sanctions on the Iraqi government.  On the other hand, they complained that he didn't provide arms to Shia groups in Iraq, and I think events proved him correct on this:  ISIS did in fact capture large stores of American weapons & equipment.

I'm sure almost any attempt to explain ISIS is an oversimplification, but it's clear the whole thing was mishandled from the moment troops were pulled out in 2011.  Although, the Bush administration should come in for its share of blame...like, for pulling the lid off Pandora's box and expecting someone else to clean up the mess.

Also I think the CDC's fumbling on Ebola didn't help.

I haven't heard anyone advocating open borders - who is saying that?
pp4me3
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by pp4me3 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:51 am

WiseOne wrote: I haven't heard anyone advocating open borders - who is saying that?
Given the situation on the southern border it seems to me that we practically have open borders already. I believe I read that 94% of those crossing illegally are not showing up at the deportation hearings they are told to attend after being allowed in. If that isn't an open border I don't what is. And even those who do show up are probably going to be staying after years of legal fighting.

And if Obama proceeds with his plan to implement executive amnesty I can only see this situation getting worse.
PP67
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by PP67 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:20 pm

Borders?...  What borders?  Read it... Let it soak int... and weep...

From the OCRegister on Sunday:

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/cali ... xican.html

"People here illegally, particularly Mexican nationals, would have an easier time acquiring a California driver’s license under new regulations proposed Friday by the California Department of Motor Vehicles.

The DMV released an expanded list of documents it will accept to establish identity and proof of residency before issuing a driver’s license to someone living in the country illegally. The state agency is racing to prepare for 1.4 million new drivers over the next three years. People living here illegally can begin to apply for licenses after Jan. 1 thanks to a law passed by California legislators last year.

Members of the Drive California Coalition welcomed the updated regulations. "

“We’ve been waiting for this moment for 20 years, and it’s finally within our grasp,”? said Luis Nolasco of the ACLU of Southern California. “With these updated regulations, now we can move forward and help community members gather their documents, study for the test, and make history on January of next year.”?
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:33 am

PP67 wrote: Borders?...  What borders?  Read it... Let it soak int... and weep...
Ehh, I think traffic safety trumps imaginary borders.  I rather drivers be trained and licensed than untrained and unlicensed.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
PP67
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by PP67 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:03 am

I don't think I would care how they drive when they are back in their home country...
pp4me3
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by pp4me3 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:19 am

Well, I think I'm officially over celebrating the Republican victory after reading the article below.

"Senator John McCain chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee, backed by a GOP majority..."

Pretty scary words to me.

http://www.unz.com/article/american-stupid/
Jan Van
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Jan Van » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:31 am

Good thing though, we can get back to reality for a while on Ebola and Isis. We might be spared of fear-mongering for a while. Or am I too hopeful? 
"Well, if you're gonna sin you might as well be original" -- Mike "The Cool-Person"
"Yeah, well, that’s just, like, your opinion, man" -- The Dude