Midterm Election Central-Should We Send Obama A Message?

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Midterm Election Central-Should We Send Obama A Message?

Post by Reub »

Election day is Tuesday Nov. 4th. The polls indicate that Obama could lose the Senate. Would this be a good thing for the country? Please put a little thought into it instead of just saying that nothing matters. Thanks!
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Midterm Election Central-Should We Send Obama A Message?

Post by Reub »

BTW, in my opinion the best line of the entire campaign was labeling the Democratic Senator from Colorado as Senator Uterus instead of Senator Udall for his single themed campaign advocating women's reproductive rights. :)
pp4me3
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by pp4me3 »

Reub wrote: Election day is Tuesday Nov. 4th. The polls indicate that Obama could lose the Senate. Would this be a good thing for the country? Please put a little thought into it instead of just saying that nothing matters. Thanks!
I think it could be a good thing for the country but I don't know that it will. I think it could be an eye-opening experience to see the Republicans try to stop Obama from granting amnesty to illegal aliens as it seems like he is intent on doing. If the Republicans really have the balls for the fight and enough sense to make their case it could be a defining moment in politics for years to come because I think the majority of Americans will be behind them.

And also, I think there is probably a lot of illegal activity that has been going on in the White House probably just as bad and/or worse than that of Nixon if the Republicans want to go there. See the recent Sherril Atkinson story about files related to the Benghazi investigation disappearing from her computer before her very eyes (and which see caught with her cell phone camera). Somebody in the government needs to go to jail over this. Let's see if the Republicans have the balls to go after it. This kind of thing hasn't worked for them very well in the past.

And just on general principle I think divided government with the inability to accomplish anything works best for the American people given most of the alternatives.
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub »

I honestly see Obama stepping up his demagoguery if he loses the Senate. I believe it will get very ugly, possibly leading to a Constitutional crisis due to his intransigence.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged »

I think you're giving him too much credit.  He doesn't seem to be as motivated as his opponents think.
Stay free, my friends.
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub »

The Republicans have easily won the Senate taking a probable 54 seats at the time this was written in a strong repudiation of Obama's policies. So what does Obama do now? Does he compromise or does he become a dictator?
Last edited by Reub on Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
clacy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by clacy »

It will be interesting indeed.  Obama does not strike me as one to go calmly into the night and realize he's a lame duck.

I think he'll cave on Keystone because most Americans support it, and now he has cover to say to his base that he had no choice but to approve it.

The big deal obviously will be immigration.  If he pushes for legalization by fiat, could be set up a hugely polarizing environment.
GT
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by GT »

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/ ... ?ocid=iehp
WASHINGTON — Two things were clear long before the votes were counted on Tuesday night: President Obama would face a Congress with more Republicans for his final two years in office, and the results would be seen as a repudiation of his leadership.

But that was not the way Mr. Obama saw it. The electoral map was stacked against him, he argued, making Democrats underdogs from the start. And his own party kept him off the trail, meaning he never really got the chance to make his case.
If Obama gets the message that the senate loss as a vote against him maybe he will change his approach. If he continues to swim in the river denial it could be a long 2 years.
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub »

Obama is a radical ideologue.  It is not in his DNA to compromise.  He doesn't respect our Constitution or the underpinnings of our great nation. Although he mray make his compromise speech again today it is a ruse as is most of what he says.

The question for you Democrats out there is will you continue to support comrade Obama or will you run away from him along with Hillary?
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub »

BTW did you notice the 64,280 page Fast and Furious scandal document dump that Obama perpetrated on election day? I would expect no less from the most transparent administration in history.
clacy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by clacy »

Thank God, the tea party didn't botch this Senate election for the R's. We ran good, winnable candidates, and it showed.

Hopefully we learned a lesson from amateur hour in 2012.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged »

Reub, you make me chuckle.  I used to be just like you.  You are falling hook line and sinker for all the alarmist stuff that you read.  Each side specializes it that.  There is always a bogeyman that the propagandists use to get the rank and file excited, especially to have them send money.  Some that come to mind:  Ted Kennedy.  Newt Gingrich.  Nancy Pelosi. The NRA.  Hillary.  Bill. McCain.  Dick Cheney. Harry Reid.  And now Obama. 

Obama is not going to do ten percent of what you are worrying about.  Relax....  In fact, it's time to start worrying about what the GOP is going to do.  How soon before we have a GOP-blamed government shutdown?  How soon before the GOP approval rating implodes?  The GOP always fumble their opportunities.  Let's see them prove me wrong.
Stay free, my friends.
clacy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by clacy »

Simonjester wrote:
clacy wrote: Thank God, the tea party didn't botch this Senate election for the R's. We ran good, winnable candidates, and it showed.

Hopefully we learned a lesson from amateur hour in 2012.
thank god the establishment, big gov, progressives in the GOP didn't antagonize or fight against the tea party- conservative -republican base, and switched over to a conservative, limited government message (as unbelievable as that message is) instead of working against them...

That's probably fair.  If R's stay out of most of the social stuff, they are a lot more attractive. 

Side step all of the social issues, stay on a positive/upbeat overall message, stay reasonably conservative economically, minimize government involvement in most aspects of our lives, and the R's can win.\
Simonjester wrote: the tea party putting up a few real amateur (total duds) in 2012 is a fair assessment as well, the GOP compounded the mistake by missing the message, and becoming anti tea party, and thinking the "tea party is dead".. i think they going to be flat out wrong whenever they starting acting like they can keep being the big government 'R" party without loosing their support...
Jan Van
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Jan Van »

No wonder the GOP won, it's blatantly obvious Obama messed with the voting machines in order to make the GOP win, and then stage a coup to save the country from the right wingers!

Hacking democracy: North Carolina voters report voting machines switching their votes to GOP candidate
A voter in Guilfrord County, attempting to take advantage of early voting in North Carolina, told the News-Record that the voting machine he used repeatedly switched his vote for a Democrat to a vote for her Republican opponent.

Percy Bostick, 69, of Greensboro said he tried casting a vote for Democrat Kay Hagan - who is locked in a tight battle with her GOP opponent - however the machine, located in the Old Guilford County Courthouse - assigned his vote to Republican Thom Tillis.
"Well, if you're gonna sin you might as well be original" -- Mike "The Cool-Person"
"Yeah, well, that’s just, like, your opinion, man" -- The Dude
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub »

Obama just gave his long winded post mortem press conference and was more arrogant and intransigent than ever. He will not admit that it was his policies which were repudiated by the electorate. This is going to be an ugly two years but its worth it if some of his policies are stymied.
GT
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by GT »

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/ ... ?ocid=iehp
President Obama said Wednesday that he accepts the American public’s message in the midterm elections that Washington needs to break its political gridlock, even as he will now face a tougher final two years in office after Republicans won control of the Senate for the first time in seven years.

“I hear you,”? Obama said at a news conference in the East Room.

“Obviously, Republicans had a good night and they deserve credit for running good campaigns,”? he added. “What stands out to me is that the American people .?.?. expect the people they elect to work as hard as they do, expect us to focus on their ambitions and not ours. They want us to get the job done. All of us in both parties have a responsibility to address that sentiment.”?
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub »

Obama threatened to impose amnesty for illegal immigrants unilaterally at the long winded news conference and sounded very much against the Keystone pipeline, tax reform, etc. He added that if Congress at some point passes an immigration law that he agrees with and signs that it can replace his unilateral actions. Now that is what you call poisoning the well!
Lowe
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Lowe »

I suppose the political gridlock he's referring to is what stopped him, in his second term, from continuing to grow the federal debt at breakneck pace.  Will a Repubican Congress approve more spending?
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub »

What political gridlock? Obama's man Harry Reid blocked all possible legislation as Obama ran the country like an emperor. The people have just repudiated this act of making a farce out of the Constitution by throwing the bums out.
GT
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by GT »

Poor Biden; the VP always has to take one for the team. He had to go forward and state that all hope for the senate race was not lost; his past experience qualified him to state that he felt the D’s would keep the senate and beat the odds makers. He also had to come up with an excuse for Obama not being allowed to campaign for D’s in the senate race; it was more a local event so why would anyone want the President to assist in campaigning for them.  He had to accuse the masses of just being scared after it was pointed out that the general public does not support Obama’s handling of current events; the public is just scared and we need to do a better job of educating them.  Funny that the VP always has to play the part of the fool.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Reub wrote: Obama just gave his long winded post mortem press conference and was more arrogant and intransigent than ever. He will not admit that it was his policies which were repudiated by the electorate. This is going to be an ugly two years but its worth it if some of his policies are stymied.
Dad, is that you?  Image
9pm EST Explosions in Iran (Isfahan) and Syria and Iraq. Not yet confirmed.
clacy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by clacy »

TennPaGa wrote: Obama says he's going to try to get Congress to issue a new Authorization for the Use of Military Force (AUMF) for the war against ISIS.  Of course, the spineless weasels in the existing Congress didn't care that he illegally started the war with ISIS in the first place.  There are some sorts of intransigence that Republicans love!

He ought to wait until the new Congress is sworn in so the war mongers in the new Congress can have some accountability for the U.S.'s actions.  My guess is that this will not happen, and he'll try to have a vote as soon as possible.  Even though they ought to be the most accountable branch of government, Congress would prefer not to have any accountability in this.  It makes sense from a self interest perspective, of course.
I agree. It's ridiculous when these so-called LEADERS are able to hide behind not voting, and then bash the President for his decisions.  Obviously both sides AND the White House are to blame, because it's all in the name of political posturing.
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

clacy wrote: Side step all of the social issues, stay on a positive/upbeat overall message, stay reasonably conservative economically, minimize government involvement in most aspects of our lives, and the R's can win.
Except they never, ever do that.  They are hypocrites.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

Reub wrote: Obama threatened to impose amnesty for illegal immigrants unilaterally at the long winded news conference and sounded very much against the Keystone pipeline, tax reform, etc. He added that if Congress at some point passes an immigration law that he agrees with and signs that it can replace his unilateral actions. Now that is what you call poisoning the well!
Whatever Obama does via Executive Order is all in the BIPARTISAN immigration bill that the Senate PASSED that he got tired of waiting for the House to pass because Boehner's chickenshitted about the Tea Party nuts.  So long as Executive is legal and subsequently passed the judicial branch, what is the problem?  So "poisioning the well" only applies to the Tea Party nuts.  I'm not sure they're relevant anymore now that Boehner has a large enough majority to ignore the twits.
Last edited by MachineGhost on Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

Reub wrote: What political gridlock? Obama's man Harry Reid blocked all possible legislation as Obama ran the country like an emperor. The people have just repudiated this act of making a farce out of the Constitution by throwing the bums out.
How is that any different than Boehner blocking?  The problem is with both Reid and Boehner, not Obama.  Now that Reid is neutered, will Boehner finally play ball?