What's your prostate cancer risk?

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Post Reply
pp4me3
Associate Member
Associate Member
Posts: 39
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:33 pm

What's your prostate cancer risk?

Post by pp4me3 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:48 pm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/scie ... -find.html

I had to go back a long time but I did some counting and I think I'm okay.
User avatar
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 3855
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:41 pm
Location: suburbs of Chicago, IL

Re: What's your prostate cancer risk?

Post by pugchief » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:10 pm

Anecdotal, but my cousin, who had been single for many years and was quite the player, was well over the 21 but still had to have his prostate removed at 60 due to cancer. He did give it his best 'shot' though.  ;D
"Congressmen should wear uniforms, you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could identify their corporate sponsors."
User avatar
Desert
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 3233
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:39 pm

Re: What's your prostate cancer risk?

Post by Desert » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:13 pm

pugchief wrote: Anecdotal, but my cousin, who had been single for many years and was quite the player, was well over the 21 but still had to have his prostate removed at 60 due to cancer. He did give it his best 'shot' though.  ;D
Is he straight?  :) 
Our greatest fear should not be of failure, but of succeeding at something that doesn't really matter. 
- D.L. Moody

Diversification means always having to say you're sorry.
User avatar
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 3855
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:41 pm
Location: suburbs of Chicago, IL

Re: What's your prostate cancer risk?

Post by pugchief » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:16 pm

Desert wrote:
pugchief wrote: Anecdotal, but my cousin, who had been single for many years and was quite the player, was well over the 21 but still had to have his prostate removed at 60 due to cancer. He did give it his best 'shot' though.  ;D
Is he straight?  :)
Yes.
No one likely uses the term 'player' in the gay community, as virtually everyone is promiscuous.
"Congressmen should wear uniforms, you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could identify their corporate sponsors."
User avatar
Tyler
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1943
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:23 pm
Contact:

Re: What's your prostate cancer risk?

Post by Tyler » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:22 pm

I'm woefully lacking in my prostate health metric.  I presented the study to my wife as scientific evidence I need to increase my number for my own health.  Mental note -- she doesn't seem to enjoy science as much as I do. 
Mechanical engineer, history buff, treasure manager... totally not Ben Gates
User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 10843
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Contact:

Re: What's your prostate cancer risk?

Post by dualstow » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:57 pm

Tyler wrote: I'm woefully lacking in my prostate health metric.  I presented the study to my wife as scientific evidence I need to increase my number for my own health.  Mental note -- she doesn't seem to enjoy science as much as I do.
lol!

I heard this on the radio, so I don't need to visit the link.
I'm in the same boat as Tyler. Faithful and doomed.
Pet Hog
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 218
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 4:08 pm

Re: What's your prostate cancer risk?

Post by Pet Hog » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:57 am

Sex with 21 women lowers risk of prostate cancer.  Simultaneously or consecutively?
Last edited by Pet Hog on Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 7038
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: What's your prostate cancer risk?

Post by technovelist » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:52 am

I'm a few short but somehow I doubt my wife would approve my taking this particular "healthy choice".  :P
Another nod to the most beautiful equation: e + 1 = 0
barrett
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1532
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:54 pm

Re: What's your prostate cancer risk?

Post by barrett » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:19 am

Does anyone besides me have trouble putting a certain experience in their past into the "did" or "didn't" category?

Or does this fall into the category of "over-sharing?" :)
Last edited by barrett on Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 7038
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: What's your prostate cancer risk?

Post by technovelist » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:18 pm

barrett wrote: Does anyone besides me have trouble putting a certain experience in their past into the "did" or "didn't" category?

Or does this fall into the category of "over-sharing?" :)
Not particularly over-sharing, but in my case at least I don't have much trouble with categorizing my past experiences.  It has always been pretty clear-cut. ;D
Another nod to the most beautiful equation: e + 1 = 0
pp4me3
Associate Member
Associate Member
Posts: 39
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:33 pm

Re: What's your prostate cancer risk?

Post by pp4me3 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:45 pm

I was kicking this around with a couple of my colleagues at work and we were wondering why it would be that having sex with a certain number of women would have this result.

My best guess was that it was merely a statistical anomaly and the principle that correlation doesn't equal causation probably applies.

But then I couldn't help but think that the god of evolution might be involved. Maybe he/she wants to kill off all the males that don't have at least 20 sex partners in their life to continue the propagation of the species.

After all, even the God of the Bible said "Be fruitful and multiply".

And some of those Biblical Patriarchs were doing pretty good with their multiple wives and concubines as I recall reading in the good book.
Last edited by pp4me3 on Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 10843
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Contact:

Re: What's your prostate cancer risk?

Post by dualstow » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:18 pm

pp4me3 wrote: I was kicking this around with a couple of my colleagues at work and we were wondering why it would be that having sex with a certain number of women would have this result.
Me, too. I made a mental note to follow up on it, but I've been too busy.
Post Reply