Fats and Health

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

curlew
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Fats and Health

Post by curlew »

IDrinkBloodLOL wrote: Therefore, if you're trying to get your shit together and avoid dying of hamburger poisoning at age 45, your first step would be to kick all vices. From there, try if possible to lose weight and stop being black. Then and ONLY then, begin to worry about whether or not this or that obscure dietary theory is correct. There is substantial mounting evidence that industrial/processed foods are bad for you, but I think we all know that at this point, and once again people seem to be healthy enough even eating a diet of pure industrial swill as long as they eat LITTLE enough of it. FWIW, I personally practice lacto-ovo vegetarianism. I love meat, but I don't trust anything but wild game anymore.
My dad lived to be 95 years old and his diet was atrocious according to everything I hear about a proper diet. Two teaspoons of sugar in his coffee, eggs and bacon for breakfast almost every day - some kind of meat with mashed potatoes and gravy for dinner - pie, cake, and/or ice cream for desert. And a snack before bed time.

Maybe he could have squeezed out a few more years, maybe not. I'm 67 now and you can ask me later on what I think about it but right now I'll take my father's deal and I don't even care about living to 95. 90 would be more than enough - that's where I set my retirement planners.
Last edited by curlew on Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick »

Did your dad drink alcohol or smoke? I lost all four of my grandparents to those, three in their early 70s. Their bodies just fell apart.
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
curlew
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by curlew »

Pointedstick wrote: Did your dad drink alcohol or smoke? I lost all four of my grandparents to those, three in their early 70s. Their bodies just fell apart.
No, he didn't smoke or drink. Neither of my parents did. My Mom is still alive at age 95 but not doing too well. I don't smoke but I do drink which is why I cut five years off of my life expectancy in the planners. It could be more than five years but I'm okay with it because I enjoy my drink.