Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

HBR: What you eat affects your productivity

Post by Pointedstick »

http://blogs.hbr.org/2014/10/what-you-e ... ductivity/

Food has a direct impact on our cognitive performance, which is why a poor decision at lunch can derail an entire afternoon.

Here’s a brief rundown of why this happens. Just about everything we eat is converted by our body into glucose, which provides the energy our brains need to stay alert. When we’re running low on glucose, we have a tough time staying focused and our attention drifts. This explains why it’s hard to concentrate on an empty stomach.

So far, so obvious. Now here’s the part we rarely consider: Not all foods are processed by our bodies at the same rate. Some foods, like pasta, bread, cereal and soda, release their glucose quickly, leading to a burst of energy followed by a slump. Others, like high fat meals (think cheeseburgers and BLTs) provide more sustained energy, but require our digestive system to work harder, reducing oxygen levels in the brain and making us groggy.
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: HBR: What you eat affects your productivity

Post by Mark Leavy »

Pointedstick wrote:
http://blogs.hbr.org/2014/10/what-you-e ... ductivity/

Food has a direct impact on our cognitive performance, which is why a poor decision at lunch can derail an entire afternoon.

Here’s a brief rundown of why this happens. Just about everything we eat is converted by our body into glucose, which provides the energy our brains need to stay alert. When we’re running low on glucose, we have a tough time staying focused and our attention drifts. This explains why it’s hard to concentrate on an empty stomach.

So far, so obvious. Now here’s the part we rarely consider: Not all foods are processed by our bodies at the same rate. Some foods, like pasta, bread, cereal and soda, release their glucose quickly, leading to a burst of energy followed by a slump. Others, like high fat meals (think cheeseburgers and BLTs) provide more sustained energy, but require our digestive system to work harder, reducing oxygen levels in the brain and making us groggy.
What a weird article.  They missed the completely obvious.

Don't eat carbs.  Nothing I eat ever turns to glucose.  My blood sugar stays constant whether I eat three meals a day or three meals a week.  No ups and downs.

Sip on coffee and wine until you smell some meat on a grill somewhere and then wolf it down.  Repeat.

(For the Pedants)
Yes, a percentage of the protein I eat is converted to glucose.  But it is less than you might think.  After about 18 months, your brain starts running on ketones instead of glucose.  And that is a fine thing...
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

Desert wrote:
Mark Leavy wrote: What a weird article.  They missed the completely obvious.

Don't eat carbs.  Nothing I eat ever turns to glucose.  My blood sugar stays constant whether I eat three meals a day or three meals a week.  No ups and downs.

Sip on coffee and wine until you smell some meat on a grill somewhere and then wolf it down.  Repeat.

(For the Pedants)
Yes, a percentage of the protein I eat is converted to glucose.  But it is less than you might think.  After about 18 months, your brain starts running on ketones instead of glucose.  And that is a fine thing...
The sentence in bold would be my ideal diet, from an enjoyment point of view.

Is a super low carb diet really practical in the long term though?  I understand that it can help in a weight loss effort, but is it a healthy long-term diet?
I've heard you can remain on that diet until you die.  ;)

... Mountaineer
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Don't we all turn to glucose for solace during a time of need?
9pm EST Explosions in Iran (Isfahan) and Syria and Iraq. Not yet confirmed.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy »

Desert wrote: Is a super low carb diet really practical in the long term though?  I understand that it can help in a weight loss effort, but is it a healthy long-term diet?
I am not a doctor.

This is what I've been doing for the last 6 years.  Best thing that has ever happened for my health, mental alertness and physical strength.  In every dimension.

This month, I'm living in Logroño Spain.  The capital of the wine country and the birth of tapas.

1) Breakfast is espresso with hot milk.  Sometimes just espresso.
2) Lunch (between 2pm and 4pm) is a young wine with a pincho (tapa).  (some form of animal part or a sea crawly thing on a stick or a piece of bread).  I ditch the bread.
3) Dinner (between 8 pm and 11pm)  Same as lunch, except a slightly better wine.  Maybe two of each.

Overall, the folks here all look great.  Lot's of confounders, of course.  Pedestrian city, genetics, etc...
WildAboutHarry
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WildAboutHarry »

Pointedstick wrote:Food has a direct impact on our cognitive performance, which is why a poor decision at lunch can derail an entire afternoon.
So I guess that explains the 1950s and 1960s, since the three-martini lunch was in vogue then.

Although, since we have the 21st century I guess the three-martini lunch crowd didn't do too bad.
It is the settled policy of America, that as peace is better than war, war is better than tribute.  The United States, while they wish for war with no nation, will buy peace with none"  James Madison
pp4me3
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by pp4me3 »

Pointedstick wrote: This explains why it’s hard to concentrate on an empty stomach.
That's at least one thing I would have to disagree with. I've been doing an intermittent fasting diet and I've seen no such inability to concentrate on the fasting days. To the contrary, I think your body is switched into a state of heightened alert. Probably an evolutionary thing.
clacy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by clacy »

But carbs taste so good
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

clacy wrote: But carbs taste so good
They sure do. I give them up for periods of time, but something keeps dragging me back. The Bread & Beer Mafia, I suppose.

P.S. We need a Where is Mark This Month thread.
9pm EST Explosions in Iran (Isfahan) and Syria and Iraq. Not yet confirmed.
Benko
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Benko »

Low/very low carb diets are great for specific applications e.g. losing weight, but are not good maintenance diets for everyone. 

"I ditch the bread" 
No one would be harmed by swearing off bread forever. 

Certainly fruits and veggies are beneficial* and few people would be harmed by eaitng e.g. berries, carrot/sweet potatoes, apple, etc daily.  See Kresser, Jaminet, etc on why many people need 100g or so maintenance carbs (but not bread or sugar frosted flakes).

* see the interestingly named Fruits and Vegetables Are Trying to Kill You:
http://nautil.us/issue/15/turbulence/fr ... o-kill-you
It was good being the party of Robin Hood. Until they morphed into the Sheriff of Nottingham
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

Mark Leavy wrote: Yes, a percentage of the protein I eat is converted to glucose.  But it is less than you might think.  After about 18 months, your brain starts running on ketones instead of glucose.  And that is a fine thing...
Until you run into the negative health effects from an extreme low carb diet.  You will also lose invaluable gut microbiota species that may never be recovered.
Last edited by MachineGhost on Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy »

MachineGhost wrote:
Mark Leavy wrote: Yes, a percentage of the protein I eat is converted to glucose.  But it is less than you might think.  After about 18 months, your brain starts running on ketones instead of glucose.  And that is a fine thing...
Until you run into the negative health effects from an extreme low carb diet.  You will also lose invaluable gut microbiota species that may never be recovered.
Very good points MG.  I also read everything that Richard Nikoley writes and I think he may be on to something. My apologies if I've assumed the wrong source for your comments.  I still have a few doubts about the ketone/gut biome argument, but mostly because I think it is the wrong battle.  I could easily be wrong though.  My ideas aren't based on ketosis being some magical great thing.  In fact, I think I only fall into ketosis when I'm accidentally losing weight for some reason.

A lot of good arguments are being made on both sides of the debate right now.  I am really enjoying the amount of exploration and self-testing and self reporting that is happening.

One of the lesser voices that I am very much impressed by is Petro Dobromylskyj.  He may or may not be more right than anyone else, but he has always struck me as intelligent, methodical and rigorous - albeit somewhat inscrutable.
http://high-fat-nutrition.blogspot.com

I thoroughly enjoy your posts, MG.  Thank you.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne »

Mark Leavy wrote: Sip on coffee and wine until you smell some meat on a grill somewhere and then wolf it down.  Repeat.

(For the Pedants)
Just FYI, the alcohol in wine is metabolized to acetate, which enters the Krebs cycle and thus functions the same as a simple sugar.  So depending on how much wine you're actually drinking, you're getting a pretty good dose of sugars every day.  That's fine, but you just want to be aware that you're not in fact carb-free with this diet.
WildAboutHarry
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WildAboutHarry »

[quote=WiseOne]Just FYI, the alcohol in wine is metabolized to acetate, which enters the Krebs cycle and thus functions the same as a simple sugar.  [/quote]

Wow, I haven't thought about the Krebs cycle in years - decades probably.  Which triggered thoughts about the electron transport chain.  Mmmm.  ATP.
It is the settled policy of America, that as peace is better than war, war is better than tribute.  The United States, while they wish for war with no nation, will buy peace with none"  James Madison
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

Mark Leavy wrote: I thoroughly enjoy your posts, MG.  Thank you.
Even when I call you a whacko? ;D

I encourage everone to take this course next time its offered: https://www.coursera.org/course/microbiome

The microbiota affects mood and psychology, among many other things.  90% of serotonin receptors are in the gut; only 10% are in the brain.  Likewise, you are only 10% human, 90% microbiota.
Last edited by MachineGhost on Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
WildAboutHarry
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WildAboutHarry »

[quote=MachineGhost]Likewise, you are only 10% human, 90% microbiota.[/quote]

I see.  So humans are gut microbiota's way of making more gut microbiota.  :)
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy »

WiseOne wrote:
Just FYI, the alcohol in wine is metabolized to acetate, which enters the Krebs cycle and thus functions the same as a simple sugar.  So depending on how much wine you're actually drinking, you're getting a pretty good dose of sugars every day.  That's fine, but you just want to be aware that you're not in fact carb-free with this diet.
Thanks WiseOne!  As a layman, I have found it extremely difficult to get good, non sensational, information about how alcohol is processed.
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start »

While you can drink and stay in ketosis, alcohol will be burned by the body in preference of all other nutrients consumed. In other words, alcohol will slow down the fat loss process because a smaller amount of the free fatty acids will be converted into ketones.
  Light beer can contain anywhere from 7g – 20g net carbs and dry wine, as much as their websites want to push, can average at about 6g per glass.
if you are on a diet that is trying to achieve rapid weight loss (generally 6g or less carbohydrate a day to stay in ketosis) any alcohol other than hard liquor, which the body metabolizes differently, such as - Vodka, Whiskey, Tequila, Rum, Gin, etc (without flavorings or mixers) .. will likely be over your carb limit..
Last edited by l82start on Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne »

l82start wrote: if you are on a diet that is trying to achieve rapid weight loss (generally 6g or less carbohydrate a day to stay in ketosis) any alcohol other than hard liquor, which the body metabolizes differently, such as - Vodka, Whiskey, Tequila, Rum, Gin, etc (without flavorings or mixers) .. will likely be over your carb limit..
Wish that were the case but, no.  Alcohol is metabolized the same no matter how it's packaged.  Beer and wine may have some undigested sugars though, depending on type.

Yes, it's hard to read anything about alcohol metabolism that doesn't start getting all crazy about blood alcohol levels and social consequences and whatnot.
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start »

WiseOne wrote:
l82start wrote: if you are on a diet that is trying to achieve rapid weight loss (generally 6g or less carbohydrate a day to stay in ketosis) any alcohol other than hard liquor, which the body metabolizes differently, such as - Vodka, Whiskey, Tequila, Rum, Gin, etc (without flavorings or mixers) .. will likely be over your carb limit..
Wish that were the case but, no.  Alcohol is metabolized the same no matter how it's packaged.  Beer and wine may have some undigested sugars though, depending on type.

Yes, it's hard to read anything about alcohol metabolism that doesn't start getting all crazy about blood alcohol levels and social consequences and whatnot.
my bad grammar made that confusing...  metabolizes differently than carbs not differently from one beverage to the next (not an expert - - i could be wrong on this) carbs will stop ketosis but alcohol without carbs mixed in will not..
-Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence