Dwelling situation?

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

How would you characterize the way you currently live?

Currently renting
25%
Currently paying down a mortgage
33%
Had a mortgage, now paid off
22%
Purchased current dwelling in cash
17%
Permanent nomad/traveling the world/secret agent/etc.
3%

Total votes: 36
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Dwelling situation?

Post by WiseOne »

No such luck.  I've hosted my sister with her husband, 3 kids and a dog in my little place.  They regard it as similar to a camping trip.  Takes me forever to clean up afterwards!
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Another one due for updating?

I bought my house in April 1982 for $31,000. Now worth slightly over $160,000. Taxes about 1.5%.

On 0.4 acres, busy 40 mph street (but first ones snow plowed!), with the neighborhood surrounded by woods. I looked in Zillow at the values of houses on my street within a mile of me each way. I'm definitely on the lower end (but NOT the lowest) with the highest being $435,000. One of those mixed neighborhoods with a wide range of values, each house different, some old like mine (70+ years) plus others not even 20 years old.

I'm always an owner and a no debt person who lives far below his income. Therefore bought house for cash and never had a car loan. Only debt I have ever had was college debt of about $2,500 after three years of college to complete junior / senior years of undergraduate school and then graduate school to get BBA and MSBA, both in accounting.

I'm also a high control person and never liked being in a renting position with others telling me what I could not do, which put restrictions on my desired lifestyle. Like pets!

Looked at my house for at least three months (maybe six?) before I finally bought it, after realizing it was the best available deal by far for its price range. Had a friend who owned a woodworking business look at it prior to buying it and he stated it'd be a low maintenance house which it has proven to be.

In owning it now for almost 38 years the only major maintenance items have been: 1) painting the house once which led to having it 2) sided as I did not want to be continuing to pay for those never ending periodic painting jobs 3) new roof in 2005 4) New garage doors in early 90s 5) new oil burner / furnace in 1998 6) two electric hot water heaters (the last one being a $1,000 fancy GE one for which I got a rebate for the entire amount except for the sales tax 7) All new windows at the same time as the siding in 1995.

When I was looking at my house to buy, now 38 years ago, the realtor said, "I need to tell you this. Although you cannot see it because of the snow on the ground the (asphalt) driveway is going." 38 years later that driveway is now almost fully gone! Thinking that this year I may FINALLY replace it!

Also, have only bought one refrigerator (1994). Anyone else would have replaced it long ago! Someone gave me a replacement electric stove years and years ago and it has been fine for my needs (I'm a dedicated microwave cooker). Always buy my washing machines used, get them repaired when necessary, and they last a long time given that they average about one load per week.

One unique part of my house is that for just about every wall in every room of the house, the walls have shelves from floor to ceiling. They house my extensive collections of books (7,000), cds (5,000), DVDs (2,000), VHS tapes, records (7,000), computer / electronic items.

One day while sitting on the toilet I looked at the bathroom room across from me and said to it, "You are now pulling your weight in this house!" So, up went the shelves on that wall so it could hold 500 books in the bathroom.

Those ARE the details of my dwelling situation!

Updates from those whoprior commented here? And, from those who have never prior given your details!

VInny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy »

Seven years in and still living out of AirBnB's and Hotels. I wouldn't change it for the world. I'm in Las Vegas now. Heading to Redmond WA on Thursday, NYC on the 15th. Palm Springs, CA on the 22nd, Santa Rosa, CA on 2/7, Europe for Spring and then Hawaii in May.