Drinking is healthy

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Early Cuyler

Re: Drinking is healthy

Post by Early Cuyler »

Desert wrote:
Alcohol is that happy combination: a pleasurable substance that also conveys health benefits. Those benefits are greatest if you drink moderately. But even drinking more than is “perfectly”? recommended, without displaying clinical symptoms of problem drinking or alcohol dependence (and these are not subtle), is generally better for you than drinking nothing.
http://www.psmag.com/navigation/health- ... thy-87891/
Another excuse to drink? Outstanding.
You know how I feel about handouts...cash is much more flexible, hell, cash is king!
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

I like kombucha. Sure it's created by a slime disc but it's naturally effervescent and contains a trace of alcohol.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

TennPaGa wrote: What's a "slime disc"?
;)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCOBY
WildAboutHarry
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WildAboutHarry »

[quote=Wikipedia] Drinking kombucha has been linked, in rare cases, to serious side effects and deaths, and improper preparation can lead to contamination.[/quote]

dualstow: Experienced any serious side effects?  Do you make your own?
It is the settled policy of America, that as peace is better than war, war is better than tribute.  The United States, while they wish for war with no nation, will buy peace with none"  James Madison
hljockey

Post by hljockey »

This is the best news I've heard in a long time.

I was having pains in my stomach starting some time last year and thinking alcohol might be the culprit I mostly gave it up for almost all of 2014. Didn't help, so when I was on a an Alaskan cruise lat month I decided why not enjoy some wine and beer and see what happens?

The result - stomach pains are completely gone.

Perhaps I have developed some sort of symbiotic relationship between alcohol and bacteria in my stomach.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

After this weekend's tailgating, I'll probably live to damn near 115. Very healthy amount of drinking for me.

Side question, do you think Everclear tastes like gasoline due to all the health that's crammed inside it? Or another, less plausible, reason?
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

WildAboutHarry wrote:
Wikipedia wrote: Drinking kombucha has been linked, in rare cases, to serious side effects and deaths, and improper preparation can lead to contamination.
dualstow: Experienced any serious side effects?  Do you make your own?
No side effects whatsoever, but I also don't make my own. I get the best stuff from the farmer's market where I buy some of my groceries. Knife sharpening, "slime disc juice", mushrooms, pastured pork- they've got it all.
I also get the name brand stuff at any of a number of nearby bodegas if I get a hankering between Saturdays.

Sometimes I do get a little bit of a sore stomach after vodka, but only for half a minute.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Desert wrote:
dualstow wrote:
TennPaGa wrote: What's a "slime disc"?
;)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCOBY
I just scribbled a quick note to myself to bring my own drinks when we party at Dualstow's place.  :)
lol. There's plenty of Boyd & Blair potato vodka if you prefer. I tend not to offer kombucha to guests. My parents were over for the first time in a long time and I served them coffee. Thanks again to gizmo rat for mentioning that porlex burr grinder in Medium Tex' gear reviews.
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start »

i have been brewing homemade ginger beer, very tasty and has an alcohol content around that of strong wine, impossible for that to be unhealthy.... ;D 
there is a traditional "slime disk" version that i would like to try brewing or to even just taste some day, i expect its alcohol content will be significantly less but i bet it is still good... 
-Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

l82start wrote: ... ginger beer,...
there is a traditional "slime disk" version that i would like to try brewing or to even just taste some day, i expect its alcohol content will be significantly less but i bet it is still good...
Yeah, the alc% in kombucha (slime disk stuff) is negligible, maybe 1/2 %. But, it's wonderfully effervescent. :-)
I love ginger beer too!
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

Desert wrote:
dualstow wrote:
Desert wrote: I just scribbled a quick note to myself to bring my own drinks when we party at Dualstow's place.  :)
lol. There's plenty of Boyd & Blair potato vodka if you prefer. I tend not to offer kombucha to guests. My parents were over for the first time in a long time and I served them coffee. Thanks again to gizmo rat for mentioning that porlex burr grinder in Medium Tex' gear reviews.
:) Vodka sounds a bit commie, but I'm game. 

I used to homebrew a lot in the old days (trying to prove yeast evolution whilst producing alcohol), and I really appreciated the diligence of all those microbes, selflessly cranking out alcohol and CO2

As they say, beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
Oh no!  Another industry that will soon be targeted by the Greenies.  :-X

... Mountaineer
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start »

dualstow wrote:
l82start wrote: ... ginger beer,...
Yeah, the alc% in kombucha (slime disk stuff) is negligible, maybe 1/2 %. But, it's wonderfully effervescent. :-)
I love ginger beer too!
ginger beer is one of my all-time favorites, the "soda pop" is semi rare but findable at a few stores, a wonderful treat... the alcohol version is pretty close to non existent in the USA (i think those lucky brits can still get it at the pub) so i started brewing my own :). I don't know if anybody outside of rural Jamaica still makes the traditional yeast/ginger-plant version, i have found recipes for it, or for starting a plant on line but haven experimented with it yet 

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

l82start wrote:ginger beer is one of my all-time favorites, <snip>... the alcohol version is pretty close to non existent in the USA
They sell Crabbie's at one of my local beer stores.
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start »

you have just inspired me to get back on the hunt to find some in my area..

i found a location map for establishments that carry it, so far the nearest place is  hundreds of miles away, but i may be able to make an online purchase for in-store pickup at a local beer wine store...

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Yeah, give it a shot. Looks like it's only been (back?) in the States since 2012.
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 »

Anyone else LOVE pumpkin beers?

I just love the ridiculous amount of nutmeggy goodness in each drop. 

The best I've had is "Pumking"
"Men did not make the earth. It is the value of the improvements only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property. Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds."

- Thomas Paine
hljockey

Post by hljockey »

moda0306 wrote: Anyone else LOVE pumpkin beers?
Absolutely. I've been drinking Blue Moon lately and when I saw them come out with the pumpkin beer I didn't think I would like it but I was wrong.

Still prefer it with a slice of orange but I think the pumpkin flavor really is nice.
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ad Orientem »

Trumpism is not a philosophy or a movement. It's a cult.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

moda0306 wrote: Anyone else LOVE pumpkin beers?
Can never get enough of them.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

lol
HB Reader
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by HB Reader »

Desert wrote:
Ad Orientem wrote: Image
:)  I'm going to have a beer tonight, just to be safe.
Have a second, and be doubly safe! 
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

HB Reader wrote:
Desert wrote:
:)  I'm going to have a beer tonight, just to be safe.
Have a second, and be doubly safe!
I don't think beer goggles will make those beauties look any better.  But if the lights were out ........

... Mountaineer
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

For some strange reason, I don't think they had much to worry about in that department anyway...
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Libertarian666 wrote: https://weatherstone61.files.wordpress. ... liquor.jpg
For some strange reason, I don't think they had much to worry about in that department anyway...
Hey speak for yourself, man. Center row far left is an absolute cheesecake. I call dibs!
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

Desert wrote: I was somewhat encouraged by this article:
http://theweek.com/speedreads/index/268 ... keys-drunk

The Washington Times reports the NIH is spending $3.2 million to get monkeys to "drink alcohol excessively" in order to determine binge drinking's long-term effects on body tissue.

I'm going to start hanging out with these monkeys.
Monkeys? MONKEYS!? They could have saved $3,199,000 by the usual "let's grab some undergrads!" method...
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.