Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: When the cops are the criminals

Post by MachineGhost » Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:38 pm

The pigs may win this round:
Keith Scott WAS carrying a stolen gun, police say – and his wife filed for a restraining order against him saying he was armed, violent and had threatened to kill her

'He hit my 8 year old in the head a total of three times with is [sic] fist,' she wrote on the form published by TWC News.

'He kicked me and threaten [sic] to kill us last night with his gun. He said he is a "killer" and we should know that.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z4LSwKmhck
So she lied about him not having a gun during the encounter. Was she trying to protect him or was she trying to get him killed? Hmmmmm!

I'm disappointed to find out that pigs have to specifically turn on their bodycams. WTF? The point of surveillance isn't to give the pig the discretion!!! And it wasn't done in this case at the appropriate time it should have been, hence all the confusion.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:43 pm

NYC undercover officer allegedly fabricates evidence against drug suspect, who spends eight months in jail before being acquitted. Officer: I had probable cause to arrest, so he can’t sue me for fabricating evidence afterward. Second Circuit: No, he can. The jury’s $20,001 award to the suspect stands.

Perhaps mistaking sound of car backfiring for gunshot, Cleveland police chase vehicle. Ultimately, 13 officers fire 139 shots at the vehicle’s (likely unarmed) occupants, killing them both. Nine white officers sue the city, arguing they were put on desk duty after the shooting for much longer than black officers who killed citizens in other incidents. Sixth Circuit: The district court did not err in dismissing the suit.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:40 pm

farjean2
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by farjean2 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:33 am

Caution. If you're like me this might be the most sickening thing you've ever seen and it might leave you disliking cops....

https://youtu.be/VBUUx0jUKxc

The background is simple. Shaver was a traveling pest control worker. He was in his hotel room (a La Quinta Inn) showing off to guests a pellet gun he used for work. Police responded to a 911 call claiming that a man was pointing a rifle out a window.

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/45 ... iel-shaver
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:44 am

farjean2 wrote:Caution. If you're like me this might be the most sickening thing you've ever seen and it might leave you disliking cops....

https://youtu.be/VBUUx0jUKxc

The background is simple. Shaver was a traveling pest control worker. He was in his hotel room (a La Quinta Inn) showing off to guests a pellet gun he used for work. Police responded to a 911 call claiming that a man was pointing a rifle out a window.

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/45 ... iel-shaver
Unaccountable, murderous power structures infuriate me.

It kind of makes one wonder how much worse this problem was before body cameras.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:14 am

Awful.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:27 pm

Speaking only for myself, I think the problem is that they told the suspect to crawl forward, and to do it without using his hands. The guy may be an idiot for waving a (pellet) gun around, making guests nervous, but not for a lapse in a very frightening, difficult situation.

I couldn’t even walk a straight line as a teenager once b/c a cop saw my hayfever-reddened eyes and convinced himself that I’d been drinking. This was just after a car crash. I was in shock. I finally got his more reasonable partner to produce a breathalyzer and luckily they opted for that instead of shooting me.
farjean2
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by farjean2 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:51 am

MangoMan wrote:I'm not sure what you guys think is the problem here. The cop thought the perp was armed, told the guy not to move his hands or he would shoot him, and the idiot disobeyed and got what was promised. If I was the cop, I would have shot him, too.

You think the cop should have let the guy potentially draw on him?
Did you check out the URL I posted with the video? http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/45 ... iel-shaver

An Iraq war veteran says that none of the soldiers he deployed with in Iraq would have handled the situation the way these officers treated American citizens.

It appeared to me that the guy was just trying to pull his pants up after being made to crawl on the ground with his legs crossed and hands in front of him. How do you even do that? He was drunk and obviously scared out of his mind. The policemen had an AR-15 trained on him the whole time and I fail to see the imminent danger.

Obviously the jury agreed with you. Good thing for the cop I wasn't on it.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:14 am

Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ad Orientem » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:56 am

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/14/us/a ... 8UmjOzs6DF

Sounds like an organized crime syndicate in uniform.
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ad Orientem » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:07 pm

California keeps a secret list of criminal cops, but says you can’t have it...

https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2019/02/26 ... t-have-it/
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ad Orientem » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:26 pm

SC sheriffs fly first class, bully employees and line their pockets with taxpayer money...
South Carolina sheriffs have embezzled, bribed and dipped into public funds for expensive chauffeurs. They’ve driven drunk and bullied other public officials. They’ve been accused of leveraging their power to sexually assault their female employees.

While many South Carolina sheriffs have strong records of serving the public, others served themselves and their cronies, a five-month Post and Courier investigation found.

In the past decade, no fewer than 11 of South Carolina’s 46 counties have seen their sheriffs accused of breaking laws — nearly one in four.

Like the sheriff in Orangeburg who funneled public funds into bogus credit union accounts to buy a $72,000 motor home. The missing money was discovered only after the sheriff died.

And the sheriff in Chesterfield County who embezzled money, gave weapons to inmates — even let a prisoner host a dinner at the sheriff’s home. A judge sentenced the sheriff to two years.
Read the rest here...

https://www.postandcourier.com/news/sc- ... f8378.html
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ad Orientem » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:34 am

Investigators say the officer was driving his orange Corvette 94 miles an hour, nearly twice the speed limit, when he collided off-duty with a family’s SUV.

The crash killed a 1-year-old girl who went flying out of the vehicle, according to police. But the Baton Rouge Police Department’s Christopher Manuel will face no criminal charges — not even for speeding, prosecutors said this week.

The news has drawn further scrutiny to the 2017 tragedy that stirred public outrage last year after authorities arrested the dead child’s mother, 21-year-old Brittany Stephens, on suspicion of negligent homicide, saying the baby probably would not have been ejected and killed if Stephens had properly secured the car seat. Authorities have decided not to charge her, East Baton Rouge district attorney Hillar Moore III said.

The choice to prosecute neither Manuel nor Stephens was an agonizing one, Moore told The Washington Post on Friday. But after two years of discussions, he said, prosecutors felt they couldn’t meet the burden of proof for homicide or even a lesser charge like negligent injury for the officer. At the same time, they were loath to go after a young woman whom Moore said has already “punished herself.”

“You never want any officer traveling 94 miles an hour,” he said. “It’s just stupid. It’s dangerous. But when we looked at the law and the facts and the circumstances, we just thought that this was the only reasonable decision to make.”

An attorney for Stephens told The Post he’s troubled by authorities’ handling of the case, though. He has questioned last year’s action against his client, calling it a tactic to muddy responsibility for baby Seyaira’s death. Now, he’s blasting the district attorney for letting the officer off the hook, saying the choice exudes “impropriety” given prosecutors’ close work with police.
Read the rest here.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... e-charges/
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:54 am

Disgraceful.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:17 pm

Not letting the officer off the hook here, but it probably actually is criminally negligent in the part of the parents for the baby not being properly fastened in the vehicle. The officer chose to speed, and the parents chose not to bother fastening their baby. The parents might deserve more blame, really: any number of things could have killed their kid, and if they had cared enough, they could have prevented it.
drumminj
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by drumminj » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:19 pm

Xan wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:17 pm
...any number of things could have killed their kid, and if they had cared enough, they could have prevented it.
True, but those other things didn't. In this case, it was the actions of the officer that triggered the outcome.

Agree that the parents made a poor choice, but I also believe that those we entrust with upholding the law (and grant a monopoly on violence) should be held to a higher standard. In this case, it was the officers direct actions that led to the outcome.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:10 pm

drumminj wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:19 pm
Xan wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:17 pm
...any number of things could have killed their kid, and if they had cared enough, they could have prevented it.
True, but those other things didn't. In this case, it was the actions of the officer that triggered the outcome.

Agree that the parents made a poor choice, but I also believe that those we entrust with upholding the law (and grant a monopoly on violence) should be held to a higher standard. In this case, it was the officers direct actions that led to the outcome.
I would say that he caused the accident, but they caused her death. The law may see things differently. And I could simply be wrong, that's possible.

I agree 100% with holding law enforcement officers to a higher standard in matters related to their duties. For example, if a cop is taking a bribe to look the other way, or if he uses excessive violence when dealing with a suspect, or running a protection racket against business on his beat, then (if guilty) throw the book at 'em.

It isn't quite as clear for actions that take place off duty, when the officer is acting as an ordinary citizen. Whether or not a crime is prosecuted, and whether the officer/suspect is guilty or innocent, shouldn't have anything to do with his status as a policeman unless it related to being a policeman.

Actually, speeding could be kind of a grey area. Was he speeding because he knows that cops don't get speeding tickets? The "wink and nod" arrangement that cops don't get tickets certainly is an issue, and I don't know what the solution is. To the extent that this speeding was enabled by that knowledge, now you might be crossing back into an abuse of office kind of thing.
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ad Orientem » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:28 pm

The idea that the officer is not even being charged with speeding is indefensible.
drumminj
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by drumminj » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:44 pm

Xan wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:10 pm
It isn't quite as clear for actions that take place off duty, when the officer is acting as an ordinary citizen. Whether or not a crime is prosecuted, and whether the officer/suspect is guilty or innocent, shouldn't have anything to do with his status as a policeman unless it related to being a policeman.
This is an interesting issue, and I think I disagree. Yes, they're not on duty, but they still should better understand the law (if ignorance isn't an excuse for the rest of us, it most certainly shouldn't be for the police), and I think there's some aspect as a society where we should expect our 'enforcers' to set a good example, whether they're on the clock or not. IMO this is a profession where I think it's wholly appropriate that their behavior in their private life affect their job/professional life. If the police don't follow the law, why should anyone else???

Xan wrote:
Actually, speeding could be kind of a grey area. Was he speeding because he knows that cops don't get speeding tickets? The "wink and nod" arrangement that cops don't get tickets certainly is an issue, and I don't know what the solution is. To the extent that this speeding was enabled by that knowledge, now you might be crossing back into an abuse of office kind of thing.
There's this too. Police seem to get away with so many things that us normal folks don't, so I don't see how the outcome could be any different than simply believing the rules don't apply to you as an officer. I think our current society has this wrong -- the bar has to be higher, not lower, for those we employ to enforce the rules of our society.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:56 pm

drumminj wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:44 pm
There's this too. Police seem to get away with so many things that us normal folks don't, so I don't see how the outcome could be any different than simply believing the rules don't apply to you as an officer. I think our current society has this wrong -- the bar has to be higher, not lower, for those we employ to enforce the rules of our society.
There was a podcast about this recently.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/r ... 0456295816
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:18 pm

drumminj wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:44 pm
Xan wrote:
This is an interesting issue, and I think I disagree. Yes, they're not on duty, but they still should better understand the law (if ignorance isn't an excuse for the rest of us, it most certainly shouldn't be for the police), and I think there's some aspect as a society where we should expect our 'enforcers' to set a good example, whether they're on the clock or not. IMO this is a profession where I think it's wholly appropriate that their behavior in their private life affect their job/professional life. If the police don't follow the law, why should anyone else???

Xan wrote:
In 100% agreement with your last sentence. Known as "setting an example"?

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:07 am

The government lied, "framed," hid favorable evidence, and showed "contempt for the law at every turn" in their treatment of Michael Flynn, the retired three-star Army general and former Trump White House national security adviser.

Those charges were contained in a new filing in the government's case against Flynn. And his attorney, Sidney Powell, was just getting started.

In the 27-page-filing, an add-on to her previous motions, Powell demanded charges be dropped against Flynn based on previously withheld exculpatory documents by the government and the IG report on FISA abuse.
link
Hmm.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:39 am

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:07 am
The government lied, "framed," hid favorable evidence, and showed "contempt for the law at every turn" in their treatment of Michael Flynn, the retired three-star Army general and former Trump White House national security adviser.

Those charges were contained in a new filing in the government's case against Flynn. And his attorney, Sidney Powell, was just getting started.

In the 27-page-filing, an add-on to her previous motions, Powell demanded charges be dropped against Flynn based on previously withheld exculpatory documents by the government and the IG report on FISA abuse.
link
Hmm.
The source of the article to be trusted?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PJ_Media

"Accuracy and ideology PJ Media is an extreme far right[17] American news, opinion, and commentary website. Overall, PJ Media is to be Questionable based on extreme right wing bias, promotion of propaganda and conspiracies as well as numerous failed fact checks. One recent false allegation in January 2020 was a fake story by anti-Muslim PJ Media Columnist Richard Spencer[18]to smear U.S. Rep. Ilhan Omar by falsely claiming that she advised Iran to attack Trump-branded hotels in the world, thus committing treason[19]. This slandering story by PJ Media was also promoted on their Facebook Page[20][21]. Of course, this was a false story[22] by the PJ Media Contributor, who also runs the anti-Muslim conspiracy blog Jihad Watch. "

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:03 am

vnatale wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:39 am

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PJ_Media

"Accuracy and ideology PJ Media is an extreme far right[17] American news, opinion, and commentary website. Overall, PJ Media is to be Questionable based on extreme right wing bias, promotion of propaganda and conspiracies as well as numerous failed fact checks. One recent false allegation in January 2020 was a fake story by anti-Muslim PJ Media Columnist Richard Spencer[18]to smear U.S. Rep. Ilhan Omar by falsely claiming that she advised Iran to attack Trump-branded hotels in the world, thus committing treason[19]. This slandering story by PJ Media was also promoted on their Facebook Page[20][21]. Of course, this was a false story[22] by the PJ Media Contributor, who also runs the anti-Muslim conspiracy blog Jihad Watch. "

Vinny
I was just going to link to the filing from the lawyer, but I figured since PJ Media was where I learned about it (and the story is backed up by other news sources), I'd link to them.

By the way, Richard Spencer is the white nationalist dude. The article on PJ Media is by Robert Spencer, who is a different person. What would that be, a false smear Inception?

EDIT Or a Russian Nesting Dolls Hoax situation >:D
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
Tyler
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tyler » Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:36 am

vnatale wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:39 am
The article accurately quotes Flynn's own attorney and provides a direct link to the court filing to back it up. So yes.

I'm more interested in what your doubt about the veracity of a well-known court case implies about the sources you do trust. If the truth surprises you, maybe it's time to branch out!