Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Evolution discussion

Post by moda0306 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:50 pm

hljockey wrote:
Mountaineer wrote: One more comment.  Before the "fall or curse" everything was as God intended and time did not exist.  Time and death and corruption began at the "fall/curse".
Sounds like standard boilerplate Biblical literalist/fundamentalist Christian doctrine to me. I've read the book of Genesis myself and I have never thought that anything about it was as plain and simple as the literalists make it out to be. The way I think it works is that somebody comes up with an interpretation of what the "inerrant word of God" says and this is actually what becomes the "inerrant word of God" because my denomination says it is.
Circular Logic.  Begging the question.  Assuming your conclusion.  Whatever you wish to call it.

I can only take so much of it in any 24 hour period.
"Men did not make the earth. It is the value of the improvements only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property. Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds."

- Thomas Paine
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:55 pm

If Neil DeGrasse Tyson is truly a force of evil, and he's going to spend eternity in damnation anyway, perhaps we should form a public-private partnership between the Catholic church and the DHS (Department of Heretic Security), and go round up NDT and his ilk, try them for crimes against God, and sentence them to the gallows, or death, or whatever else the Bible says we can do to heretics in the OT.

To be fair to the tried "scientists," we could make sure to ask them a lot of questions over a long period of time... an Inquisition, if you will.
"Men did not make the earth. It is the value of the improvements only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property. Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds."

- Thomas Paine
hljockey

Post by hljockey » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:15 pm

moda0306 wrote: Circular Logic.  Begging the question.  Assuming your conclusion.  Whatever you wish to call it.
I can only take so much of it in any 24 hour period.
Speaking of 24 hour periods I once asked one of the prominent creationists on the internet to explain this verse to me about the 4th day of creation....

And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years:

So what I wanted to know was how were the previous 3 days of creation timed to make sure God got it all done within a literal 24 hour period.  Shouldn't it actually say "In the Beginning God created a watch to time himself"?

His response was classic and I wish I had saved it.

Basically he explained to me that the Hebrew word "yom" ALWAYS means a literal 24 hour time period and so it can be no other way.

In other words, what he was saying, as far as I can tell, is that this is the box we have to think in whether it makes any sense or not. There is no possibility of escape from this box that we God has created.

I felt kind of sorry for him as I do everyone else who has to think like this including the Moslem fundamentalists.
Desert
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Desert » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:30 pm

moda0306 wrote: If Neil DeGrasse Tyson is truly a force of evil, and he's going to spend eternity in damnation anyway, perhaps we should form a public-private partnership between the Catholic church and the DHS (Department of Heretic Security), and go round up NDT and his ilk, try them for crimes against God, and sentence them to the gallows, or death, or whatever else the Bible says we can do to heretics in the OT.

To be fair to the tried "scientists," we could make sure to ask them a lot of questions over a long period of time... an Inquisition, if you will.
Did a man made of straw just enter the building? 

I do like your DHS definition though. 
Our greatest fear should not be of failure, but of succeeding at something that doesn't really matter. 
- D.L. Moody

Diversification means always having to say you're sorry.