Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Evolution discussion

Post by moda0306 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:54 pm

Mountaineer,

You are claiming that there is more reliable evidence that your brand of. Christianity is true than macro evolution?

Do you think that the skills that imply that you are wrong are creations God just put in the earth? It sounds like this is what you're saying.

Also, the human brain, a millisecond after death, is materially different.  Sort of like a cleared hard drive is materially different than a full one.
"Men did not make the earth. It is the value of the improvements only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property. Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds."

- Thomas Paine
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:02 pm

moda0306 wrote: Mountaineer,

You are claiming that there is more reliable evidence that your brand of. Christianity is true than macro evolution?

Do you think that the skills that imply that you are wrong are creations God just put in the earth? It sounds like this is what you're saying.

Also, the human brain, a millisecond after death, is materially different.  Sort of like a cleared hard drive is materially different than a full one.
You say milli, I say micro, you say milli, I say micro, you say tomato, I say tomatto, tomato, tomatto, that's what it's all about ... that could be a song!

For you first question ... yes.  For your second question, I did not get ANY sleep last night and had no polyphasic naps today so I'm a bit slow; I do not understand what you are saying, could you please rephrase?

... Mountaineer
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Kshartle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kshartle » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:04 pm

doodle wrote:
Kshartle wrote:
doodle wrote: That is still undetermined! There is plenty of evidence that we are simply simulations...
;D 

http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2005/0 ... -universe/
http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2010/1 ... d-reality/

I rarely post articles. These are short and pretty brilliant I think.
Weird, but true...

I actually invoke a form of this argument when I tell people why I don't like to travel much anymore. Physically transporting my carcass to a place seems so inefficient when all my experience happens in my mind anyways. My senses are just inputs channels that take data to my mind.  Through proper visualization and some good pictures and videos as stimulus I am able to almost get the full experience of travel without leaving my couch.....don't ask me what this implies for my ideas on sex.....hahaha!
Virtual travel with something like go pro will be the future I think. People will log-in to get a total virtual live experience of places all over the world. People who could never afford to leave their home or work will get to go experience great places, much better than with the old idiot box and Rick Steves.
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:08 pm

Mountaineer wrote:

You say milli, I say micro, you say milli, I say micro, you say tomato, I say tomatto, tomato, tomatto, that's what it's all about ... that could be a song!

For you first question ... yes.  For your second question, I did not get ANY sleep last night and had no polyphasic naps today so I'm a bit slow; I do not understand what you are saying, could you please rephrase?

... Mountaineer
Ahhh.... Skills = skulls. I am asking you if you think God put the skulls of Neanderthals in the earth or if if they actually existed...
"Men did not make the earth. It is the value of the improvements only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property. Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds."

- Thomas Paine
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:11 pm

moda0306 wrote:
Mountaineer wrote:

... Mountaineer
Ahhh.... Skills = skulls. I am asking you if you think God put the skulls of Neanderthals in the earth or if if they actually existed...
He put them in the earth to test our faith in the light of such plausible evidence for evolution. He is a trickster god who loves nothing more than to F' with his creation so that he can send them to burn in the eternal lake of fire.

Same goes for dinosaur fossils...I mean giant lizards? Come on, really? How absurd!
All of humanity's problems stem from man's inability to sit quietly in a room alone. - Blaise Pascal
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:14 pm

moda0306 wrote:
Mountaineer wrote:

... Mountaineer
Actually, I have no idea.  I do think that with God all things are possible.  Klemet Preus (author of the book that has the letters I'm posting in the religion thread) addresses creation things somewhere around letter 90 but it is not in much depth; you will have to wait a while since I'm only in the low 20s on the postings.  And, I guess you did not buy my "postulate" on how things can appear old and may not be?  Just curious.

... Mountaineer

Edit:  I could send you my Pastor's Masters Thesis if you like.  It is on the descent of Darwin and is actually an interesting read ... but long.  I could post a link to it if you like.  Let me know if you have interest in reading that much material on the subject.
Last edited by Mountaineer on Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
WildAboutHarry
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WildAboutHarry » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:17 pm

It's easier to tweak than re-design.
So, what happened to the collar bone?  Where did it come from, where did it go?

Or even more interesting, what about the baculum?
It is the settled policy of America, that as peace is better than war, war is better than tribute.  The United States, while they wish for war with no nation, will buy peace with none"  James Madison
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:19 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
moda0306 wrote:
Mountaineer wrote: You say milli, I say micro, you say milli, I say micro, you say tomato, I say tomatto, tomato, tomatto, that's what it's all about ... that could be a song!

... Mountaineer
Actually, I have no idea.  I do think that with God all things are possible.  Klemet Preus (author of the book that has the letters I'm posting in the religion thread) addresses creation things somewhere around letter 90 but it is not in much depth; you will have to wait a while since I'm only in the low 20s on the postings.  And, I guess you did not buy my "postulate" on how things can appear old and may not be?  Just curious.

... Mountaineer
Mountaineer,

Do you think our fossil evidence provides reasonable evidence for macro evolution if they DO represent actual skulls? 

Your details around the age of the earth are fine I guess.  I'll agree that an all-powerful God can make anything happen... But the age of the earth is of utmost importance if we are to understand whether we should be interpreting the Bible literally or not.... I mean I had bacon this morning... I might as well have had gay sex!

- Thomas Paine
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:21 pm

WildAboutHarry wrote:

I may have to award a second "hoot of the day".  I had to look that one up ... and, I'm so far on the right side of the bell curve it is em-bare-assing ..... (maybe  ;D) ).

... Mountaineer
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:25 pm

moda0306 wrote:
Mountaineer wrote:
moda0306 wrote: Ahhh.... Skills = skulls. I am asking you if you think God put the skulls of Neanderthals in the earth or if if they actually existed...

... Mountaineer
Mountaineer,

Do you think our fossil evidence provides reasonable evidence for macro evolution if they DO represent actual skulls? 

Your details around the age of the earth are fine I guess.  I'll agree that an all-powerful God can make anything happen... But the age of the earth is of utmost importance if we are to understand whether we should be interpreting the Bible literally or not.... I mean I had bacon this morning... I might as well have had gay sex!
Not yet. (But it is completely irrevelant what I think ... meaningless jabberwocky on this topic).

You are going for the third award, aren't you?  You sly dog, you!

... Mountaineer

Edit (my brain really is working slowly today, no joke):  I may be wrong on this, but I think what remains that have been discovered, are actually very small fragments of a whole skeleton (whether talking about Neandrathals, Piltdown Man, TRex, etc.)  The rest is speculation on what man "thinks" it is. 
Last edited by Mountaineer on Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:27 pm

WildAboutHarry wrote:

I don't know...monkeys have collarbones and I believe dogs have vestigial ones.

The penis bone is present in some mammals (mostly carnivores) and not others...
All of humanity's problems stem from man's inability to sit quietly in a room alone. - Blaise Pascal
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:30 pm

Just a quick search on clavicles in cats, dogs, horses yielded this....it is vestigial.

http://www.askabiologist.org.uk/answers ... hp?id=3590
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:34 pm

Mountaineer,

It is completely relevant what you think if you are aware of opposing or tangential facts to the ones I believe to be true. It's completely relevant if I'm wrong and you're right, and God not only exists for certain, but exists the way you say he does.  You are one of few access points I have to the truth, if you are correct, so your interpretation of reality might be the most important one I should be considering.

Another question for you on your Faith.... What came first, your strong belief in Christ as your savior, or your conclusion that there is decent empirical evidence that Christ really rose from his grave.

Also, if you're willing to accept the possibility that God put fossil's here to test our faith, doesn't that kind of throw out anything we could ever believe about God?  The Bible?  Jesus?  Perhaps they're all some sick test that we haven't figured out yet...

- Thomas Paine
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:43 pm

Also, if you're willing to accept the possibility that God put fossil's here to test our faith, doesn't that kind of throw out anything we could ever believe about God?  The Bible?  Jesus?  Perhaps they're all some sick test that we haven't figured out yet...
If I were God and I was bored this is what I would do....and then sit back and laugh my ass off!
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:59 pm

It is completely relevant what you think if you are aware of opposing or tangential facts to the ones I believe to be true. It's completely relevant if I'm wrong and you're right, and God not only exists for certain, but exists the way you say he does.  You are one of few access points I have to the truth, if you are correct, so your interpretation of reality might be the most important one I should be considering.

Another question for you on your Faith.... What came first, your strong belief in Christ as your savior, or your conclusion that there is decent empirical evidence that Christ really rose from his grave.

moda, I appologize.  I did not mean for you to perceive me as blowing you off.  I think it is most important to say that Salvation is for those who believe in the promises of God.  Said another way, those who believe that Jesus came to earth, lived, died, and rose from the the dead and came to atone for the sins of all from all time will be saved and have eternal life in a perfect body on the new earth.  What I believe, however, is not important for you to be saved.  But, that said, I'll try to answer your questions honestly, as I think I've been trying to do all along.

I have come to believe and understand that I was given the Holy Spirit in my baptism.  It never left me.  My recognition, however, of what that meant became increasing clear with time and study of the Word.  The more I've studied, the more I became/become convinced that Christ really did rise from the grave.  The other explanations (see the Letters I posted in the religion thread) or alternate theories just do not "hold water" like the the Bible accounts do.  Is that because of my study or the Holy Spirit guiding me?  I honestly do not know in a way to prove it, but I am sure it is the Spirit's work in me somehow.  Can you be saved without being baptised?  Yes.  Can you be baptised and lose your faith?  Yes.  This is why I harp on "hearing the Word" so much.  I am starting to wonder if you would be interested in listening to a series of apologetics discussions (defense of the faith) but I'm hesitant to recommend that unless you are really serious and would really listen to them.  But, if you are, just let me know.  Those discussions are more solid than anything I can give you on an internet forum but would require an investment of your time.

I don't think that God put fossils here to "test" our faith.  I really do not think God would give us some "sick" test; that is inconsistent with God's Word as I understand it.  I do think Satan causes us to doubt.  Doubt God's Word, doubt that God loves us, doubt that makes us think that God wants us to burn in hell, doubt in God so we desire to put faith in some aspect of the creation instead of the Creator.

... Mountaineer

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:36 am

Mountaineer: Dinosaurs? Yes or no?
RIP Marcello Gandini
Benko
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Benko » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:51 pm

FRED on Evolution:

The Bugs in Darwin
http://fredoneverything.net/BotFly.shtml

Pournelle:

http://www.jerrypournelle.com/chaosmano ... evolution/

you can take all the components of a watch, but them in a bag, and shake them forever and the probability that they will fall into place still remains vanishingly small with relation to the age of the universe. You can make the probability a bit larger by adding multiple copies of some of the components, but a bit larger still leaves you a vanishing probability. You can shape the parts such that there’s only one way they will fit together, and the probability they they’ll become a watch rises again, but it’s still small; and now of course you have to explain how the parts got made. If you find a watch in the woods, that’s pretty overwhelming evidence for the existence of a watchmaker. Now what do you look for if you find a watchmaker?

Fred looks at a number of highly complex processes and asks how they might have ‘evolved”?; and his conclusion is the same as mine has been since I was in high school: We don’t know, but it sure isn’t Darwinian survival of the fittest, and it looks a lot more like design than chance. I came to that conclusion before I knew just how complex the universe it, and I have never been shown any reason to change it.

Now by design I don’t mean that there are no elements of chance in the evolution: it’s more complicated than that. I can think of a number of random steps that if made in the correct order will take you from a light sensitive  cluster of cells to an eye as that exists in nature; but not all of those steps have any obvious utility or advantage to the organism. Something that isn’t on that path could and more probably would have happened. By design I mean that somewhere in there is a glimmer of what you’re after.  It was something of this sort that Augustine had in mind when he postulated that creation was in causes, not in completion. When I was in high school I wasn’t converted to the Church by any refutation of Evolution, because I learned Evolution from Brother Fidelis despite the fact that it was still illegal to teach Evolution in the state of Tennessee in 1949. Indeed I didn’t start to question the standard theory until I learned just how complex cellular biology appears to be.

more:
http://www.jerrypournelle.com/chaosmano ... on-theory/
Last edited by Benko on Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It was good being the party of Robin Hood. Until they morphed into the Sheriff of Nottingham
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:49 pm

dualstow wrote: Mountaineer: Dinosaurs? Yes or no?
I used to think so.  That is what I was taught.  Then the more I studied science, the more I realized how much speculation about the past existed and how little provable facts.  Now, I really don't know.  I think man has discovered bones that many natural scientists say are dinos.  As to what the animal, if it really existed, looked like, I have not a clue as it seems there is a lot more speculation and hypothesis than fact.  As I said in an earlier post, I have no clue as to what existed, or for how long, before the "fall" and subsequent curse.

... Mountaineer

Edit:  Darn it!  I wish I had read Benko's post and links before responding.  I could have saved a few electrons  :D
Last edited by Mountaineer on Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle » Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:52 pm

Darwin was very concerned about the cambrian explosion, the fact that creatures of all types appear very suddenly in the fossil record.  He felt that the fossil evidence was just incomplete though, and that after additional digging, we'd find the transitional forms in previous layers.  But we haven't. 
This is wrong. There are transitional fossils. Also, one has to remember the specific conditions necessary to form fossils....they are somewhat rare.

I also don't know what happened before the Big Bang, or other such questions but why does one have to insert God into the equation? This is what humans have always done when we didn't understand something.....it's a stupid habit.
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle » Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:12 pm

Benko wrote: FRED on Evolution:

The Bugs in Darwin
http://fredoneverything.net/BotFly.shtml

Pournelle:

http://www.jerrypournelle.com/chaosmano ... evolution/

you can take all the components of a watch, but them in a bag, and shake them forever and the probability that they will fall into place still remains vanishingly small with relation to the age of the universe. You can make the probability a bit larger by adding multiple copies of some of the components, but a bit larger still leaves you a vanishing probability. You can shape the parts such that there’s only one way they will fit together, and the probability they they’ll become a watch rises again, but it’s still small; and now of course you have to explain how the parts got made. If you find a watch in the woods, that’s pretty overwhelming evidence for the existence of a watchmaker. Now what do you look for if you find a watchmaker?

Fred looks at a number of highly complex processes and asks how they might have ‘evolved”?; and his conclusion is the same as mine has been since I was in high school: We don’t know, but it sure isn’t Darwinian survival of the fittest, and it looks a lot more like design than chance. I came to that conclusion before I knew just how complex the universe it, and I have never been shown any reason to change it.

Now by design I don’t mean that there are no elements of chance in the evolution: it’s more complicated than that. I can think of a number of random steps that if made in the correct order will take you from a light sensitive  cluster of cells to an eye as that exists in nature; but not all of those steps have any obvious utility or advantage to the organism. Something that isn’t on that path could and more probably would have happened. By design I mean that somewhere in there is a glimmer of what you’re after.  It was something of this sort that Augustine had in mind when he postulated that creation was in causes, not in completion. When I was in high school I wasn’t converted to the Church by any refutation of Evolution, because I learned Evolution from Brother Fidelis despite the fact that it was still illegal to teach Evolution in the state of Tennessee in 1949. Indeed I didn’t start to question the standard theory until I learned just how complex cellular biology appears to be.

more:
http://www.jerrypournelle.com/chaosmano ... on-theory/
Pournelle is a science fiction writer with a degree in psychology and political science and Fred reed is a journalist....why does their opinion hold any more weight than what Sean Hannity thinks about global warming?

btw....for an interesting and fair documentary into these questions I recommend this....in fact no conclusions are drawn...just a variety of ideas about how real scientists are thinking about these questionshttp://youtu.be/oyH2D4-tzfM
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:15 pm

I do think the watch analogy is an unfortunate one in that it is a very powerful image & idea that spreads easily, but from the viewpoint of an athiest or agnostic it is steering people in the wrong direction.

Watch and machine parts are so...static. They are made and then they just sit there aside from rusting or breaking. They don't morph into other things. But jaw parts can morph into hearing bones and, if you don't believe that, focus on something that can be proven: shih-tzus and mastiffs can both evolve from wolves, all without God's help.
RIP Marcello Gandini
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:19 pm

moda0306 wrote:
Mountaineer,

moda,

I just reread your question and realized you had another question that I did not address in my other response to you.  This is about interpreting the Bible literally or not (and bacon  ;) ).

My understanding is there are different types of "Law and/or law" terminology in the Bible:  The Torah, commandments, decrees, rules, teaching, instruction, testimonies, precepts, Word, promises, statutes and the like ... no wonder it is confusing.  I think your question dealt with "ceremonial law" - the law that impacted the Israelites' lives within the temple and within the community.  Examples of those are "do not mix different types of fiber" which referred mainly to what the priest wore, and "don't eat pig".  Your bacon reference dealt with this type of law.  Since the ceremonial law was for the theocracy that Israel was at that time, the best explanation I could give you as to whether or not you committed a sin by eating bacon is from Matthew 5, verse 17 which says "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them."  Christ fulfilled (fully filled, fully satisfied) the ceremonial law; it no longer applies to us after Christ came 2000 years ago.  You may feel free to eat bacon and do not need to confess and seek absolution for that one.  Now as for your other sins ................ that is a different question.  ;)  Hope that helped.  I do suggest you stay away from the gay sex and just eat bacon when and if the urge strikes.  ;) ;) ;)

... Mountaineer
Last edited by Mountaineer on Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:30 pm

dualstow wrote: I do think the watch analogy is an unfortunate one in that it is a very powerful image & idea that spreads easily, but from the viewpoint of an athiest or agnostic it is steering people in the wrong direction.

Watch and machine parts are so...static. They are made and then they just sit there aside from rusting or breaking. They don't morph into other things. But jaw parts can morph into hearing bones and, if you don't believe that, focus on something that can be proven: shih-tzus and mastiffs can both evolve from wolves, all without God's help.
I agree the watch/watchmaker analogy can lead people astray.  The "watchmaker" view of God is where God made the universe, then just sat back and watched what happened with no further involvement (a very static view of God's efforts).  My understanding would be that God continues to play a very active role in matters via the Holy Spirit.  Whether or not shi-tzus and mastiffs have micro-evolved from wolves (not a species change as they can still interbreed) does not seem to me to be proof of much of anything - other than man is a curious creature and is always trying to control or manipulate his environment - for fun, for benefit, or in futility.

... Mountaineer
Benko
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Benko » Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:35 pm

doodle wrote: Pournelle is a science fiction writer with a degree in psychology and political science and Fred reed is a journalist....why does their opinion hold any more weight than what Sean Hannity thinks about global warming?
Pournelle was the lead writer for Byte computer magazine for many years, was a consultant to NASA, and assistant to perhaps it was mayor of major city. 

Pournelle and Fred both have common sense and are grounded in reality, something not very common these days.  YOu really should read and think about the Kipling poem I just posted.
It was good being the party of Robin Hood. Until they morphed into the Sheriff of Nottingham
Benko
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Benko » Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:06 pm

dualstow wrote: But jaw parts can morph into hearing bones
The point is to use hearing as an example, in order for hearing to work, you need 3 "hearing bones" arranged just so, an eardrum held taught with the bones held in place against it just so, a way to transmit the vibration,  a way to transform the vibrations into nerve symbols and a part of the brain to understand these electrical impulses.

So the issue is that you need to evolve many many complicated things all of which work together (if engineered just so) but which are useless by themselves.  I'm not coming from the place others on this thread are, but you have to seriously violate occams razor to believe anything other than this was designed.