Why do conservatives hate Obama so?

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Why do conservatives hate Obama so?

Post by Pointedstick »

It saddens me how much liberals misunderstand why conservatives hate Obama, usually misconstruing it as racism. The truth, I think, is that Obama is the embodiment of trends that conservatives see as fundamentally wrong. Think about the features of Obama's life:

- Raised in an internationalist environment
- Raised in a multicultural, multi-racial environment
- Spent the vast majority of his life living in deep blue liberal strongholds (Hawaii, LA, Chicago)
- Came from a broken family
- Did a lot of drugs
- Received multiple advanced college degrees, but most of his early employment was in the totally make-work non-profit industry
- His later employment consisted of work in industries where the personal consequences for failure are low--college professor and civil rights attorney--not really "real jobs" in the eyes of conservatives
- Became a politician in mostly non-competitive races
- In politics, became popular for his oratory rather than any legislative accomplishments

In short, Obama represents to conservatives the rejection of their vision for america, and a life lived for style rather than substance, effort rather than accomplishment. To conservatives, these features are pretty much things to be ashamed of, not promote as personal qualities or triumphs. And the fact that Obama was elected president tells them that Americans are buying into the tenets of liberalism. Obama is a clear signal that America is moving in The Wrong Direction.

This explains it much better than racism, I think.
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
clacy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Why do conservatives hate Obama so?

Post by clacy »

I see him as an arrogant liberal lawyer.  I would put him right a long side Nancy Pelosi or Harry Reid.

It has nothing to do with race, it has to do with policy and tactical matters.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

clacy wrote: I see him as an arrogant liberal lawyer.  I would put him right a long side Nancy Pelosi or Harry Reid.

And, his character attributes:
Blatant liar,
Narcissistic tendencies,
The whole illegal drug scene of his "youth",
PUKE!  DOUBLE PUKE!!

... Mountaineer
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ad Orientem »

Demonizing political opponents is as old as the country and an American tradition right up there with Mom and Apple Pie. I can't recall who said it, but I seem to recall someone observing that politics is the mass mobilization of hatred.
Trumpism is not a philosophy or a movement. It's a cult.
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 »

Mountaineer wrote:
clacy wrote: I see him as an arrogant liberal lawyer.  I would put him right a long side Nancy Pelosi or Harry Reid.

Blatant liar,
Narcissistic tendencies,
PUKE!  DOUBLE PUKE!!

... Mountaineer
Drug use aside, those traits apply to pretty much all politicians, and a LOT of people in the higher echelons of the private sector that I've seen be just as dishonest and narcissistic as most politicians (as far as I can tell).

What I don't understand is how people can think Obama is uniquely flawed in the areas of arrogance & honesty.  To me, he's just another big-wig in over his head, like most people at high-levels in the public and private sectors.
"Men did not make the earth. It is the value of the improvements only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property. Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds."

- Thomas Paine
clacy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by clacy »

moda0306 wrote:
Mountaineer wrote:

Blatant liar,
Narcissistic tendencies,
PUKE!  DOUBLE PUKE!!

... Mountaineer
Drug use aside, those traits apply to pretty much all politicians, and a LOT of people in the higher echelons of the private sector that I've seen be just as dishonest and narcissistic as most politicians (as far as I can tell).

What I don't understand is how people can think Obama is uniquely flawed in the areas of arrogance & honesty.  To me, he's just another big-wig in over his head, like most people at high-levels in the public and private sectors.
I probably tend to agree with this.  I think many people probably start out in politics to help "improve" their country/state/city/etc.  However in order to be elected/re-elected and excel in politics (or high level private sector for that matter), you for the most part need some of these traits in order to succeed and move up the ladder. 

There are exceptions of course, but there is a certain level of "sliminess" needed to become a POTOS or congressman.
Tyler
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tyler »

Why do liberals hate Bush so?

It's sad to me that people of any political persuasion can work themselves into such a frenzy over the next political bad guy. I think it just boils down to the convenience that once someone is labeled as evil in your mind, you feel justified tuning out any contradictory input to your own mental narrative.

I personally don't like Obama as a president, but I don't hate him. I just think his domestic policies are shallow and destructive, he's definitely in over his head internationally, and the precedent he is setting with presidential authority is a bad omen for future constraints on executive power.
Benko
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Benko »

He combines the worst of Mayor Daily/Richard Nixon.

Survey: U.S. press freedom plunges under Obama to 46th in world, after Romania
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... /?page=all

What do you have to do as a Democrat to get the NY times editorial page to title an editorial on you:

Op-Ed Contributor
Obama’s Orwellian Image Control
By SANTIAGO LYON
Published: December 11, 2013

Ever wonder why almost no one in any of the Obama scandals talks the press as commonly happens in such matters? HE is very effective (didn't say perfect) in suppressing dissent. 

The real employment rate.

How many prior Presidents attack the opposite party in their general speeches? i.e. not speeches to get elected, but the ones they give as president?  or 

Oct 25, 2010 - Obama said he would consider the GOP ideas, but told the assembled Republicans that "elections have consequences" and "I won."

And no he is not more dishonest then e.g. Harry Reid. 
Last edited by Benko on Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It was good being the party of Robin Hood. Until they morphed into the Sheriff of Nottingham
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

moda0306 wrote:
Mountaineer wrote:

Blatant liar,
Narcissistic tendencies,
PUKE!  DOUBLE PUKE!!

... Mountaineer

I tend to agree with you, but who said I like any one who displays those characteristics?  I do not hate them, just utter disgust and disappointment would be better words.  I prefer people who display the positive attributes listed "you know where".  Maybe to put a twist on it that would make it more understandable, would you want a father that was arrogant, a liar, narcissistic, cared way more about himself than others, and was involved in illegal activities?  No?  Then why do some want a country leader like that?  If your father is like that slimeball I described, I'm sorry for opening a wound.

... Mountaineer
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
dragoncar
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dragoncar »

Pointedstick wrote: It saddens me how much liberals misunderstand why conservatives hate Obama, usually misconstruing it as racism. The truth, I think, is that Obama is the embodiment of trends that conservatives see as fundamentally wrong. Think about the features of Obama's life:

- Did a lot of drugs
So racism, then.  Oh, and perceived "acting black."
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 »

Mountaineer wrote: would you want a father that was arrogant, a liar, narcissistic, cared way more about himself than others, and was involved in illegal activities?
But doesn't that pretty much describe every president we've had since who knows when?

I'm no huge Obama lover, but he seems little different from those who've gone before.  I'm pretty conservative on most issues, but I couldn't stand Bush #2.  If you want to talk about liars, it seems that he told the whopper of all time when justifying invading Iraq.

I'm also puzzled by much of Pointedstick's original post.  Bullets 1, 2, 4, and to a large extent, 3, happened when he was a kid and had little control over anything.  What's the problem in being raised in a multi-racial household?

When Obama was elected, I felt a little prouder of my country, because it showed that a person of color could be president.  I certainly did not think that was possible in 2008, but I was glad to be proved wrong.  Whether Obama himself is the most worthy person of color to hold the post is irrelevant to me.  As I said, I certainly don't think Bush #2 was the most worthy white person to hold the post.  The president's actual effect on any one of our lives is so minuscule to nonexistent that I can barely justify having spent the last 5 minutes of my life writing this post.
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 »

stuper1 wrote:
Mountaineer wrote: would you want a father that was arrogant, a liar, narcissistic, cared way more about himself than others, and was involved in illegal activities?
But doesn't that pretty much describe every president we've had since who knows when?

I'm no huge Obama lover, but he seems little different from those who've gone before.  I'm pretty conservative on most issues, but I couldn't stand Bush #2.  If you want to talk about liars, it seems that he told the whopper of all time when justifying invading Iraq.
Exactly... I mean of course I wouldn't want an overly arrogant, dishonest father.

But I highly, highly doubt that Mountaineer was almost losing his lunch at some of his more beloved Republican presidents, who certainly were smarmy, dishonest, and narcissistic.
"Men did not make the earth. It is the value of the improvements only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property. Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds."

- Thomas Paine
barrett
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by barrett »

PS, What are you getting at with these points?

- Spent the vast majority of his life living in deep blue liberal strongholds (Hawaii, LA, Chicago)

Are any of these really against conservatives "vision for America?" The fact that he was "raised in an internationalist environment" is certainly a plus for me. Kerry was vilified for offering a few remarks in French while in France. The nerve of someone to appear as if they are not closed off to the rest of the world.

For the record, I voted for Obama twice and he's a disappointment to me as well. The Republicans offered poor options in both elections. I'd be happy to vote for anyone who can do a decent job as president. I don't really care what their political party is.
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick »

barrett wrote: PS, What are you getting at with these points?

I'm not saying I mind them personally. But it's my impression that these elements of Obama's background are turn-offs for conservatives, who prefer people who:
- are more culturally grounded in the USA (as opposed to having been partially raised abroad, for example)
- embody their ideal of the "American family" (i.e. two married straight white parents);
- have significant cultural familiarity with what they would call "real America" (i.e everywhere outside of urban liberal strongholds)

For the record, I voted for him the first time but not the second.
Last edited by Pointedstick on Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
Benko
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Benko »

Pointedstick wrote: I'm not saying I mind them personally. But it's my impression that these elements of Obama's background are turn-offs for conservatives, who prefer people who:For the record, I voted for him the first time but not the second.
His words/deeds are more than sufficient for most people e.g. comments by blacks in chicago and NY editorial (see above).
Last edited by Benko on Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It was good being the party of Robin Hood. Until they morphed into the Sheriff of Nottingham
Benko
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Benko »

Kshartle,

What hope is there for the population, when the people ON THIS BOARD said Romney would be as bad as Obama?
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick »

moda0306 wrote: In 1932 they voted in a guy who tried to stack the bench, interned Japanese, forced men into war at gunpoint, raised taxes significantly, enacted numerous make work programs, and developed the most massive tool of death ever devised that is now only controlled by governments worldwide.
But other than that, he was a great guy, right? ;D
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
Kshartle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kshartle »

Pointedstick wrote:
moda0306 wrote: In 1932 they voted in a guy who tried to stack the bench, interned Japanese, forced men into war at gunpoint, raised taxes significantly, enacted numerous make work programs, and developed the most massive tool of death ever devised that is now only controlled by governments worldwide.
But other than that, he was a great guy, right? ;D
Yeah he's in just about everyone's top 5 and Gingrich said he was the best ever.  :P
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick »

TennPaGa wrote:
Pointedstick wrote: It saddens me how much liberals misunderstand why conservatives hate Obama, usually misconstruing it as racism. The truth, I think, is that Obama is the embodiment of trends that conservatives see as fundamentally wrong.
Bah.  If it were a Republican president (or nominee) who had these characteristics in his/her background, R's would either be trumpeting them, or ignoring them.
If it was a republican, they would be able to point to how he overcame all those challenges. When it's a democrat, they see it as succumbing to them. Since those traits still seen as negative, they're an opportunity to demonstrate Moral Fiber™ or Strong Leadership© or whatever.

And besides, those republicans you listed are mostly unlikeable jerks! Like Senator Huffnpuff. ;)
Last edited by Pointedstick on Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
WildAboutHarry
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WildAboutHarry »

[quote=Pointedstick]Moral Fiber™[/quote]

Isn't that a breakfast cereal?
It is the settled policy of America, that as peace is better than war, war is better than tribute.  The United States, while they wish for war with no nation, will buy peace with none"  James Madison
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick »

WildAboutHarry wrote:
Pointedstick wrote:Moral Fiber™
Isn't that a breakfast cereal?
Yes, I believe this is a picture of the box:

[img width=400]http://libertyviewmagazine.net/wp-conte ... AETjzL.jpg[/img]
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

moda0306 wrote:
stuper1 wrote:

Exactly... I mean of course I wouldn't want an overly arrogant, dishonest father.

But I highly, highly doubt that Mountaineer was almost losing his lunch at some of his more beloved Republican presidents, who certainly were smarmy, dishonest, and narcissistic.
moda and stuper1,

It seems to me there are some things that we cannot just "let slide" because "the infamous all" presidents are liars, cheats, and probably corrupt.  Just because they are does not make it right.  Your logic is similar to the child saying to his parents, "everyone else gets to do it, why can't I?".  When we let dishonesty slide, we become just as bad as those we are throwing stones at; yes, I'm a sinner just as you are, but there is a source of absolute right and wrong and when we do not abide by that source, things go mightly awry.  In this world, behavior has consequences (or at least it should) and when anyone, even the president, lies, cheats, and steals from the public to feather his own nest we are obligated to take a stand or we will suffer the consequences.  We may be severly chastised, persecuted, or worse by our so called friends and/or enemies, but in the end, how can we live with ourselves if we "go along to get along" and sink to the level of a liar president?  I would hope that a shred of self respect and respect for others still exists.  And to address your last point, I am not slavishly wedded to the Republican party (as apparently many liberals are to the Democratic party); I humbly suggest that you not measure everyone by your personal standards ... they really do not matter and neither do mine.  The ONLY standard that ultimately matters is God's Word.

... Mountaineer
Last edited by Mountaineer on Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
clacy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by clacy »

Mountaineer wrote:
moda0306 wrote:
stuper1 wrote: But doesn't that pretty much describe every president we've had since who knows when?

moda and stuper1,

It seems to me there are some things that we cannot just "let slide" because "the infamous all" presidents are liars, cheats, and probably corrupt.  Just because they are does not make it right.  Your logic is similar to the child saying to his parents, "everyone else gets to do it, why can't I?".  When we let dishonesty slide, we become just as bad as those we are throwing stones at; yes, I'm a sinner just as you are, but there is a source of absolute right and wrong and when we do not abide by that source, things go mightly awry.  In this world, behavior has consequences (or at least it should) and when anyone, even the president, lies, cheats, and steals from the public to feather his own nest we are obligated to take a stand or we will suffer the consequences.  We may be severly chastised, persecuted, or worse by our so called friends and/or enemies, but in the end, how can we live with ourselves if we "go along to get along" and sink to the level of a liar president?  I would hope that a shred of self respect and respect for others still exists.  And to address your last point, I am not slavishly wedded to the Republican party (as apparently many liberals are to the Democratic party); I humbly suggest that you not measure everyone by your personal standards ... they really do not matter and neither do mine.  The ONLY standard that ultimately matters is God's Word.

... Mountaineer
During the Bush years, I don't seem to recall the "all Presidents lie" or "all Presidents are corrupt" or "all Presidents are incompetent" or "all Presidents use the IRS to persecute political enemies" or any of the other "all Presidents......" that I've read a lot of over the last couple of years on internet boards.

I really don't remember conservatives making that argument much. 

That is all the Obama supporters have at this point, because it's obvious that he's NOT above corruption.  He's NOT transparent.  He's NOT a world leader.  He has NOT focused on helping the people that he said he was for.
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick »

clacy wrote: During the Bush years, I don't seem to recall the "all Presidents lie" or "all Presidents are corrupt" or "all Presidents are incompetent" or "all Presidents use the IRS to persecute political enemies" or any of the other "all Presidents......" that I've read a lot of over the last couple of years on internet boards.

That is all the Obama supporters have at this point, because it's obvious that he's NOT above corruption.  He's NOT transparent.  He's NOT a world leader.  He has NOT focused on helping the people that he said he was for.
To be fair, they really are all degrees of corrupt, incompetent, and liars. Maybe it's only gotten obvious after two presidents in a row who have matched that description exceptionally well.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
clacy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by clacy »

Pointedstick wrote:
clacy wrote: During the Bush years, I don't seem to recall the "all Presidents lie" or "all Presidents are corrupt" or "all Presidents are incompetent" or "all Presidents use the IRS to persecute political enemies" or any of the other "all Presidents......" that I've read a lot of over the last couple of years on internet boards.

To be fair, they really are all degrees of corrupt, incompetent, and liars. Maybe it's only gotten obvious after two presidents in a row who have matched that description exceptionally well.
Yes, it's largely true that they are all those things (corrupt liars, etc), but that's not a good defense for the current President in office, whoever that may be.

It's an even greater sin for Obama, IMO because he raised expectations to epic proportions by running on a platform of the most transparent administration ever, healing the oceans, etc