How Many Generations Has Your Family Been in Your Home Country?

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

How many gens back does your family history go in the country in which you reside?

Poll runs till Fri Dec 06, 2058 5:10 am

I arrived here from another country.
11%
I'm a native, but one of my parents is an immigrant.
11%
Both parents immigrated here.
4%
My parents are natives, but my grandparents were immigrants. (At least 1).
22%
My grandparents were born here.
37%
Other - It's Complicated -- Allow me to elaborate.
15%

Total votes: 27
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

How Many Generations Has Your Family Been in Your Home Country?

Post by dualstow »

Just curious.
9pm EST Explosions in Iran (Isfahan) and Syria and Iraq. Not yet confirmed.
barrett
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: How Many Generations Has Your Family Been in Your Home Country?

Post by barrett »

On my dad's side it's since 1789 when four German brothers came over. Many generations on my mom's side too and that was from England and Ireland. My wife and daughter were both born in China so they are total newbies except that they are about 95% Americanized.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne »

Nice idea dualstow!!  We often forget that not too long ago, many of us/our families were the much-reviled immigrants of their day.

My mother immigrated as a child (her parents were Palestinian), and my father's family all came through Ellis Island.  So no Mayflower heritage for me I'm afraid.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Nor for me.  A friend of mine claims Mayflower ancestry, but only three of my grandparents were born in the U.S., where I live.  And *their* parents were all born in Hungary or nearby.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

Most  came between 1730 and 1800.  A few earlier and a few a couple of decades later.

... Mountaineer
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

The poll is obviously biased towards recent immigrants.  lol  Am I like in the minority now or something if it takes a couple of generations to get to the point where my greats were NOT born here?
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

MachineGhost wrote: The poll is obviously biased towards recent immigrants.  lol  Am I like in the minority now or something if it takes a couple of generations to get to the point where my greats were NOT born here?
I'd be happy to edit the poll if you want.

I could have split up the second  to bottom choice but when you think about it, you could have a really huge number there because I *Didn't* split it. I figure forum members from the UK, Germany, Japan, etc, the ancestors may go back as far as anyone can remember.
Last edited by dualstow on Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

dualstow wrote: I'd be happy to edit the poll if you want.
Too late now.  I already voted other.  But there should have been a choice like "my great-grandparents at the very least, were born here".  That's sufficiently removed.  I've never heard of four-generation families starting with the greats.  Is that possible?
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub »

I'm distantly related to Thomas Jefferson. That's what the 23andme genetics testing told me. So we've been here forever (but didn't know it).
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ad Orientem »

Direct antecedents: On my dad's side of the family since the 1840's. On mom's side since the 1890's.
Collateral antecedents: Since the 1600's. Most of the descendents from the first wave of family immigrants now live in Canada. Having remained loyal to their country during the revolt, they were none too politely told to get the bleep out (but leave their property) after their side of the war was lost.
Trumpism is not a philosophy or a movement. It's a cult.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Interesting!
goodasgold
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by goodasgold »

My mother's parents were born in Ireland. My father's mother was a first generation Irish-American. My paternal grandfather was of English, Welsh, Scotch-Irish and Pennsylvania Dutch descent.

There is a vague family rumor that I may also be of Native American and French ancestry, but I have hit a genealogical roadblock regarding the family line which is the most likely candidate for  confirming or negating this rumor.

My father's WASP side goes back to an indentured servant who was brought to Philadelphia in 1711, where he converted to Quakerism.

I have made a tentative link to another WASP line which goes back to English Puritans who settled in Long Island in the 1650s; Long Island was then part of Dutch New Netherlands. But I have hit another genealogical roadblock in verifying this link.
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

goodasgold wrote: I have made a tentative link to another WASP line which goes back to English Puritans who settled in Long Island in the 1650s; Long Island was then part of Dutch New Netherlands. But I have hit another genealogical roadblock in verifying this link.
Have you tried 23andme?

Thomas Hoog
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Thomas Hoog »

Well, being non-US. Dutch, my ancestors arrived in Holland in 1650 from Germany. However that part of Germany was in those days dutch.
Most relatives lives in Saskatchewan, Canada, where they arrived in 1910.
Life is uncertain and then we die
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

My mother's father was an immigrant from Russia, to avoid getting drafted into the Tsar's army in WWI.
I believe his wife was also from Russia.

My father's father was from the Austrian Empire, in what is now Ukraine (unfortunately, as if it were still Austria I might qualify for an Austrian passport). I'm not sure where his mother was from but I think it was also somewhere near there.