Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Google Buys Drone Maker Titan Aerospace

Post by dualstow »

Note this line:
Google said the Titan team will work closely with Google's Project Loon, which is building large, high-altitude balloons that send Internet signals to areas of the world that are currently not online.
That reads rather like the science fiction novel, Singularity Sky. Neat!

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB1 ... 1702936522
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Google Buys Drone Maker Titan Aerospace

Post by Reub »

As I've already said, Google is taking over the world and is becoming a big threat to our freedoms and privacy.
RuralEngineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by RuralEngineer »

I'm not sure if they're taking over the world, but Google has enormous influence in the advancement of technology and have shown that they have ZERO concern for the privacy of their customers.
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub »

I understand that they are the 2nd biggest lobbyists in Washington and soon to become number one.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

RuralEngineer wrote: I'm not sure if they're taking over the world, but Google has enormous influence in the advancement of technology and have shown that they have ZERO concern for the privacy of their customers.
Oh no, they have a substantial concern for our privacy. Unfortunately, it doesn't dovetail with our concerns.
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub »

They're already heavily implanted in our digital world and now they want to send drones over all of our houses too?

BTW, I've switched to Startpage.com as my search engine of choice as they say that they are the world's most private search engine.

https://www.startpage.com/
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Reub wrote:
BTW, I've switched to Startpage.com as my search engine of choice as they say that they are the world's most private search engine.

https://www.startpage.com/
I used duckduckgo for 5 minutes and then I learned about the heartbleed breach this week. NSA is out denying that they are exploiting it. I'm back to google anyway.
craigr
Administrator
Administrator

Post by craigr »

The heartbleed vulnerability primarily affects the server's private key as the biggest threat, so vendors are patching and generating new keys to be sure. So using a service like duckduckgo.com, startpage, etc. is not going to be an issue. The problem is likely already patched.

The reality is these agencies are collecting so much information I doubt they can effectively use most of it until well after the fact. They are drinking from the proverbial fire hose. Targeted individuals though are a different matter once you are on the radar screen. At that point they will know just about anything about you and your social connections, etc.

Even with the supposed expansion of "big data" storage and reduction mechanisms you still need a human to make sense of the pieces. That's always going to be a bottleneck.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Makes sense.
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub »

craigr wrote: The heartbleed vulnerability primarily affects the server's private key as the biggest threat, so vendors are patching and generating new keys to be sure. So using a service like duckduckgo.com, startpage, etc. is not going to be an issue. The problem is likely already patched.

The reality is these agencies are collecting so much information I doubt they can effectively use most of it until well after the fact. They are drinking from the proverbial fire hose. Targeted individuals though are a different matter once you are on the radar screen. At that point they will know just about anything about you and your social connections, etc.

Even with the supposed expansion of "big data" storage and reduction mechanisms you still need a human to make sense of the pieces. That's always going to be a bottleneck.
I guess that if the next Snowden gives it to Putin he can make sense of it for us. ;)
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick »

By chance, I just happened to delete my Google account today. Felt good. It's amazing how many services of theirs you can find yourself using over time.
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
craigr
Administrator
Administrator

Post by craigr »

Pointedstick wrote: By chance, I just happened to delete my Google account today. Felt good. It's amazing how many services of theirs you can find yourself using over time.
Don't mean to be the bearer of bad news, but they don't delete anything ever!

Let's just say it's no longer visible to you, but it probably is not actually deleted... :(
clacy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by clacy »

Alright, I need to find a new search engine.  I've been wanting to jump off the google bandwagon for some time anyway. 

What are people here using for search engines?
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick »

craigr wrote:
Pointedstick wrote: By chance, I just happened to delete my Google account today. Felt good. It's amazing how many services of theirs you can find yourself using over time.
Don't mean to be the bearer of bad news, but they don't delete anything ever!

Let's just say it's no longer visible to you, but it probably is not actually deleted... :(
Oh I figured that. But it's no temptation to add anything new to it. And eventually it may get deleted as part of routine clean-up. There's no real business reason to spend money keeping around information about non-customers.

clacy wrote: Alright, I need to find a new search engine.  I've been wanting to jump off the google bandwagon for some time anyway. 

DuckDuckGo.
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start »

clacy wrote: Alright, I need to find a new search engine.  I've been wanting to jump off the google bandwagon for some time anyway. 

ixquick and startpage.... i tend to use ixquick more but they seem almost identical
-Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Craig, do you think, post-heartbleed, we should be changing our account passwords, or should we wait for website admins to tell us to do so?
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

l82start wrote:

ixquick and startpage.... i tend to use ixquick more but they seem almost identical
ixquick and startpage are the same thing according to the ixquick website.  https://ixquick.com/eng/company-background.html

... Mountaineer
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
clacy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by clacy »

l82start wrote:

Wow, I've never even heard of these.  Thanks
clacy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by clacy »

Now I just have to break the habit of typing " g - o - o" into my toolbar
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

clacy wrote: Now I just have to break the habit of typing " g - o - o" into my toolbar
Yep!  Depending on what browser you are using, there are a couple of extensions you may find useful:  Ghostery - allows you to block all kinds of tracking, AdBlock - blocks annoying ads, and WOT (web of trust) - indicates how much people trust the website for a variety of reasons, and Qualys Browser Check - examines your browser and extensions to determine if all are up to date.

... Mountaineer
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.