Server Issues?

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Server Issues?

Post by Mountaineer »

I have been getting this message a lot over the past couple of days.  Anyone else?  I am trying to determine if it is the server or something with my system.  Thanks.

... Mountaineer

Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Server Issues?

Post by MediumTex »

This seems to happen from time to time and I never really understand what the cause is.

If it persists I will see what I can do about it.

Sorry for the inconvenience.
Q: “Do you have funny shaped balloons?”
A: “Not unless round is funny.”
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

Just did it again.  I will contribute some funds if it will help.

... Mountaineer
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start »

it seems like Sundays and sometimes Saturdays are the most common for me to get server messages (i have had a few today as well)
i have no first or even second hand knowledge of the server, what else it is used for, who it is used by, or when it gets maintained but i have assumed that Sunday was either a update/maintenance day or weekends resulted in heaver traffic on the server from other sites..

this could all be wrong, it is just my observation and best guess at what happens..
-Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
annieB
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by annieB »

No real problems here in Tennessee..
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex »

It seems like it will happen for two or three days and then won't happen again for months.

I don't think that it is related to insufficient forum donations.  :)
Q: “Do you have funny shaped balloons?”
A: “Not unless round is funny.”
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ad Orientem »

Periodically I have major issues trying to connect to the forums.
Trumpism is not a philosophy or a movement. It's a cult.
craigr
Administrator
Administrator

Post by craigr »

The ISP has been moving servers. We will see if it fixes itself in a couple days.
craigr
Administrator
Administrator

Post by craigr »

And with my vote of confidence above, the database crashed and I had to fix it!
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

I have had major issues with trying to get on the forum for the past 8 hours; I would guess my successful login rate is about 10 to 20% out of a couple of dozen tries. 

... Mountaineer
edsanville
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by edsanville »

MediumTex wrote: I don't think that it is related to insufficient forum donations.  :)
With that attitude, you'll never become a successful politician.  :D
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ad Orientem »

Ditto to the above. The problem comes and goes, but it has been ongoing intermittently for months. The last 24hrs were tough.
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick »

edsanville wrote:
MediumTex wrote: I don't think that it is related to insufficient forum donations.  :)
With that attitude, you'll never become a successful politician.  :D
Can I interest you in some rocket launchers from the Philippines? ;D
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Server Issues? - HELP

Post by Mountaineer »

Mods,

This server issue of not being able to join the site is becoming really, really annoying.  What can we do to help?

... Mountaineer
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

Update:  Connection Problems

"Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later."

The message when going to the forum website at 6:04pm EST, 6:17pm, 6:28pm, 6:38pm,  7:00pm, 7:57pm, 8:17pm,  April 16, 2014
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

MangoMan wrote: I could not use the forum during the entire afternoon yesterday due to this inability to connect. Are Mountaineer and I the only ones with this issue?
No.
annieB
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by annieB »

Could not connect...
Peak2Trough

Post by Peak2Trough »

Same here.  Not impressed with SMF have the admins considered a move to phpbb or vbulletin?
craigr
Administrator
Administrator

Post by craigr »

It's the ISP. I need to get MediumTex to contact them and ask what is going on. The forum is on a shared server and if they are overloading it then everyone gets punished. It only works as well as the biggest abuser.

SMF will timeout if the server response is too slow. And sometimes the SQL tables need to be cleaned up after the crash happens.
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

MangoMan wrote: I could not use the forum during the entire afternoon yesterday due to this inability to connect. Are Mountaineer and I the only ones with this issue? Why has this become a chronic problem?
No.  A year later, I'm annoyed to find out it is still occurring.  Craigr MT needs to get off his lazy bum and switch hosting providers instead of complaining to them all the time to fix it.  Clearly, the hosting provider is not up to the task this lofty forum requires.  >:(
Last edited by MachineGhost on Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

Page loading and refreshing has been VERY slow, on and off, for the past couple of days.  Anyone else having this issue?

... Mountaineer
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ad Orientem »

Oddly no issues here. In the past I have had some serious problems, but none lately.
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start »

i noticed a brief slowdown and a temporary server related crash a couple days ago, which i reported to Craig, the problem was resolved reasonably quickly.
  if you see problems feel free to report them to us, TennPaGa and myself can both work on forum software issues and are happy to pass along any server related problems to Craig and mediumtex...
-Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

Really slow response again right now.