New forum domain...same great forum!

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

craigr
Administrator
Administrator

New forum domain...same great forum!

Post by craigr » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:49 pm

The forum has moved to a new domain name: gyroscopicinvesting.com and will be admin'd by MediumTex. If you see any problems, please let either of us know. Thanks!
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Re: New forum domain...same great forum!

Post by MediumTex » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:23 pm

We thought about different names, but between HB's estate and PRPFX, we wanted to stay away from anything that might step on anyone's intellectual property toes.

I hope gyroscopicinvesting works for everyone (I suppose it's no less evocative of the PP than "crawlingroad").
Q: “Do you have funny shaped balloons?”
A: “Not unless round is funny.”
Coffee
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Coffee » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:11 pm

I'm not following you logic: How was the domain name CrawlingRoad infringing on HB's estate or the Fund?

P.S.  You need to change the SMF title tags away from "Permanent Portfolio Discussion Forum" to achieve that aim, wouldn't you?
"Now remember, when things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. "
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:51 pm

Coffee wrote: I'm not following you logic: How was the domain name CrawlingRoad infringing on HB's estate or the Fund?

P.S.  You need to change the SMF title tags away from "Permanent Portfolio Discussion Forum" to achieve that aim, wouldn't you?
We were wanting to set it up as a freestanding website (rather than an add-on to craig's blog) and wanted to come up with a good name for it. 

Calling it something like "Permanent Portfolio Forum" or "Harry Browne Investing" was what I was concerned about.

Gyroscopicinvesting seemed like a good description of what HB was trying to accomplish with the PP.
Coffee
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Coffee » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:55 pm

RE: Disconnecting from Craig's blog: Gotcha.  Makes sense.
"Now remember, when things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. "
Lone Wolf
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Lone Wolf » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:15 am

The decor here feels nice and familiar.  :)

Good metaphor on "gyroscope", by the way!
Storm
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Storm » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:31 am

For some reason the WebSense proxy at my corporate network determined that the redirect you are using from the main crawlingroad.com "Forum" link makes gyroscopicinvesting.com a "spyware/malware" site and blocks it.

I am able to get here if I manually type in gyroscopicinvesting.com/forum, but for some reason the forum link from crawlingroad.com sets off the "bad redirect" detector in our corporate proxy.

This is something you might want to fix just in case other forum users are having this problem.

I think the issue is that the link points to "crawlingroad.com/forum", which immediately does a second redirect to the new domain.  It is probably this double redirect that triggers the spyware block.
"I came here for financial advice, but I've ended up with a bunch of shave soaps and apparently am about to start eating sardines.  Not that I'm complaining, of course." -ZedThou
Jan Van
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Jan Van » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:35 pm

Funny, Storm. Similar deal at the company I'm at now. Luckily there's always my trusty Android phone :-)
"Well, if you're gonna sin you might as well be original" -- Mike "The Cool-Person"
"Yeah, well, that’s just, like, your opinion, man" -- The Dude
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:57 pm

If you bookmark gyroscopicinvesting.com/forum/index directly is there still the problem of your system thinking it is a bad site?
Storm
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Storm » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:37 am

No, if you go directly to gryoscopicinvesting.com/forum you don't have a problem.  I think this could be fixed by changing the main crawlingroad.com Forum link to point here, rather than pointing to crawlingroad.com/forum which redirects.
"I came here for financial advice, but I've ended up with a bunch of shave soaps and apparently am about to start eating sardines.  Not that I'm complaining, of course." -ZedThou