The White Ghetto

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Desert
Executive Member
Executive Member

The White Ghetto

Post by Desert » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:19 pm

In Appalachia the country is beautiful and the society is broken.

http://nationalreview.com/node/367903/print
Our greatest fear should not be of failure, but of succeeding at something that doesn't really matter. 
- D.L. Moody

Diversification means always having to say you're sorry.
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: The White Ghetto

Post by pugchief » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:06 am

So sad. So many things one could comment on. What idiot bureaucrat thought including soda in the acceptable purchase list for food stamps was a good idea? The author made the point that, for black market purposes, they could just substitute another commodity. But I am talking about from a nutritional standpoint. You can argue all day about whether Bloomberg's Big Brother soda policies are a good idea in NYC, but food stamps for soda?!
"Congressmen should wear uniforms, you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could identify their corporate sponsors."
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:05 am

It's a good thing we declared war on poverty so stuff like this is a thing of the past. Oh wait, what did you say? It's still around? Mmm, better deploy more troops. We'll get poverty routed one of these days!
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:10 pm

On a more serious note: let me say what everybody is thinking, but that it's only politically correct to say here because we're talking about white people: their culture is rotten. The harsh terrain and lack of jobs are effects, not causes; if these people were enterprising and inventive, they would build up more infrastructure and jobs would flock to the area. If you replaced the residents with average people from New Hampshire, Japan, and Israel, the whole place would look radically different in 10 years.

Their culture is just busted, and that's all there is to it. The story about parents taking their children out of school so as not to imperil their government stupidity benefits is only partially a cautionary tale about the dangers of poorly-designed welfare programs; mostly it describes a fatally broken way of approaching life. I'm willing to bet if the government set up a program that gave you $5,000 a month to never educate your children in any way (not even homeschooling, say), not a single member of this forum would take advantage of it. Why? Because we understand the importance of learning and education to making something of yourself.
"The government gives people checks, but nobody teaches them how to live," says Teresa Barrett, a former high-school principal who now publishes the Owsley County newspaper. "You have people on the draw getting $3,000 a month, and they still can’t live. When I was at the school, we’d see kids come in from a long weekend just starved to death. But you’ll see those parents at the grocery store with their 15 cases of Pepsi, and that’s all they’ve got in the buggy — you know what they’re doing. Everybody knows, nobody does anything. And when you have that many people on the draw, that’s a big majority of voters."
If that doesn't describe a problem of culture, I don't know what does. The poverty described in the article is less a monetary poverty and more a poverty of low expectations. The government programs are a distractions; people with such attitudes would simply find a way to game any other system just as easily.

What a mess.
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:33 pm

TennPaGa wrote:
Pointedstick wrote: if these people were enterprising and inventive, they would build up more infrastructure and jobs would flock to the area.
Or maybe they'd just flee, and the dregs left behind will concentrate.
It looks like that's what already happened. It's what always happens when an area becomes seen as inhospitable to the productive and optimistic. They leave, and the benefits of their presence disappear.

Of course, the places where they flee to see real estate prices quadruple. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
Last edited by Pointedstick on Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
Desert
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Desert » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:33 pm

Pointedstick wrote:
TennPaGa wrote:
Pointedstick wrote: if these people were enterprising and inventive, they would build up more infrastructure and jobs would flock to the area.
Or maybe they'd just flee, and the dregs left behind will concentrate.
It looks like that's what already happened. It's what always happen when an area becomes seen as inhospitable to the productive and optimistic. They leave, and the benefits of their presence disappear.

Of course, the places where they flee to see real estate prices quadruple. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
I think that's right.  The few that make it through that culture with any ambition remaining quickly leave for a place where they can surround themselves with success rather than depression and failure.  I can't imagine what it would take to break the cycle. 
Our greatest fear should not be of failure, but of succeeding at something that doesn't really matter. 
- D.L. Moody

Diversification means always having to say you're sorry.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:32 pm

A woman who is intimately familiar with the local drug economy suggests that the exchange rate between sexual favors and cases of pop — some dealers will accept either — is about 1:1, meaning that the value of a woman in the local prescription-drug economy is about $12.99 at Walmart prices.
The free market, working like a charm.

It's unfortunate, that area of the country is beautiful.
I hated all the things I had toiled for under the sun, because I must leave them to the one who comes after me. Who knows whether that person will be wise or foolish? Yet they will have control over all the fruit of my toil into which I have poured my effort and skill under the sun. . . Nothing is better for a man than to eat and drink and enjoy his work.
- Ecclesiastes
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:01 am

Kriegsspiel wrote:
A woman who is intimately familiar with the local drug economy suggests that the exchange rate between sexual favors and cases of pop — some dealers will accept either — is about 1:1, meaning that the value of a woman in the local prescription-drug economy is about $12.99 at Walmart prices.
The free market, working like a charm.

It's unfortunate, that area of the country is beautiful.
I must be missing something. What does a culture dependent on government handouts have to do with the free market?
annieB
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by annieB » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:32 am

Citizen dividend,$15 min. wage,ACA medical.
Nothing works....
FarmerD
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by FarmerD » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:45 pm

It doesn't matter how much aid you give some people, the ignorant and stupid will always find ways to blow through it all.  Advocates of welfare simply don't realize most poor people are poor for a reason - the vast majority are simply ignorant/lazy/irresponsible/substance abusers (pick one) and no amount of aid will change that.  In these cases the government acts as an enabler for their chosen lifestyles.

Compare the attitude of the people in the article to that of people of my dad's mindset.  He told me on several occasions "I'd rather starve than accept welfare of any kind.  Accepting welfare means I have failed as a man and as a parent."
Kshartle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kshartle » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:53 pm

FarmerD wrote: the vast majority are simply ignorant/lazy/irresponsible/substance abusers (pick one) and no amount of aid will change that. 
You don't think that many aren't just making a rationale decision that welfare is their best alternative?

It's not like welfare is a lower standard of living than 40-50 hours a week for less than 10 or even 15 bucks.

Welfare is a higher standard of living because you don't have to go to a stupid job.

My sister is a welfare queen. We had the exact same upbringing and same parents. We are one year apart. She has zero marketable skills as she was supported by boyfriends from 18-25. Since then she's been supported by the government. She's intelligent. She has explained to me what I didn't understand at the time.....there is no reason for her to work. If she went to work she would be worse off. She thinks anyone working for less than 60-70k is a complete sap. She points out some of our childhood friends who work very hard and have nothing to show for it. She has the same stuff that they do....shelter, food, cable, beer, internet.

She makes a strong case, as does the lady on the call-in.
annieB
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by annieB » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:59 pm

I think that is right.Most of these people have limited prospects.
They get an understanding of the system and make the best choices
for them.It's the system,man...