Photo fixed.
Q: “Do you have funny shaped balloons?”
A: “Not unless round is funny.”
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: What kind of dog should I get?

Post by moda0306 »

"Men did not make the earth. It is the value of the improvements only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property. Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds."

- Thomas Paine
rhymenocerous
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by rhymenocerous »

I don't have any personal experience with Australian Shepherds, but I think they are highly energetic dogs that require a lot of exercise and structured mental stimulation to be happy.  It's not the kind of dog you can just let out in the back yard to run around.  Since you have a young child, I can think of no better breed than a Golden Retriever (or maybe a lab if you want a dog with short hair).
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick »

For what it's worth, my 17 month-old loves playing with our Australian cattledog. It's true that they're high-energy dogs that like jobs and stimulation. Another friendly, high-energy dog can also make a great companion; the two will play and play for hours.
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
Coffee
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Coffee »

A good Aussie or a good Golden-- either will do you right.

I just adopted a one year-old female Border Collie/Red Heeler mix.  An owner surrender from country folk who didn't have enough time for her. She's got the coloring of a heeler and the body and temperament of a BC.  Really sweet dog.  Not sure if she's going to work out for me as a professional demo dog or not (I'll know in about six weeks, as she's on her 'heat' now). 

But so far, it looks promising.  The only big negative with her is that she never left the prior owner's property and her default is to be overly submissive, which I'm concerned people will interpret as "sad" and blame on my training approach.  If I can't bring her out of it, I'll need to find her a pet home.  But I'm hopeful at this point. 

Here's a quick video I did:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TeT87_EjBc
"Now remember, when things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. "
Coffee
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Coffee »

Here's another one of her out with the chickens:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10 ... =2&theater
"Now remember, when things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. "
Benko
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Benko »

Coffee wrote: Here's a quick video I did:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TeT87_EjBc
Cute dog.  Interesting choice of music.
It was good being the party of Robin Hood. Until they morphed into the Sheriff of Nottingham
portart
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by portart »

What do you think of a Bolognese?
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick »

Desert wrote:
Pointedstick wrote: For what it's worth, my 17 month-old loves playing with our Australian cattledog. It's true that they're high-energy dogs that like jobs and stimulation. Another friendly, high-energy dog can also make a great companion; the two will play and play for hours.
One more comment, and I mean this in a semi-humorous way.  It's been said that pets resemble their owners.  I was doing a bit of research on Australian Cattle Dogs, and came across this quote:
"As with dogs from other working breeds, the Australian Cattle Dog has a high level of energy, a quick intelligence, and an independent streak." 

Does that remind anyone of a certain poster on these forums, commonly known as Pointedstick? 

:)  Sounds like a Libertarian dog if there ever was one.
:D :D :D
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
Coffee
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Coffee »

Desert wrote:
Pointedstick wrote: For what it's worth, my 17 month-old loves playing with our Australian cattledog. It's true that they're high-energy dogs that like jobs and stimulation. Another friendly, high-energy dog can also make a great companion; the two will play and play for hours.
One more comment, and I mean this in a semi-humorous way.  It's been said that pets resemble their owners.  I was doing a bit of research on Australian Cattle Dogs, and came across this quote:
"As with dogs from other working breeds, the Australian Cattle Dog has a high level of energy, a quick intelligence, and an independent streak." 

Does that remind anyone of a certain poster on these forums, commonly known as Pointedstick? 

:)  Sounds like a Libertarian dog if there ever was one.
Let's not get carried away.  ;)
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub »

"No More Woof"

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/no-more-woof

A dog to English translator.
Coffee
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Coffee »

TennPaGa wrote: One thing to point out for prospective dog owners: vet bills can get expensive if the dog has health problems (and you choose to treat them).

Between meds and visits, we probably spend $100-$150 per month on our 11 y/o miniature pinscher.
You know that dog is gonna live for another 10 years, right?  ;)
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Desert wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:25 pm On a lighter note, my 6 year old son is obsessed with getting a dog.  We have a fairly large fenced back yard, and we all love animals.  I'm trying to figure out what sort of critter to get.  I grew up with a couple german shepherds that I really liked, but I've never had a dog as an adult.  My son would pester the dog most of the time, so it needs to be the kind of dog that can handle a lot of attention.  We also have a cat, and my wife would prefer that we not get a dog that would eat the cat.  What do you guys think?
Another one!

Just read through all 55+ posts in the Topic and don't see one that finally announced what you ended up doing!

Though I like my cats on the small side (7,8 pounds), I like big dogs with German Shepherds being by far my all-time favorite dog. Lived with three of them as an adult.

My last one was a white German Shepherd. She looked like this one but was more beautiful than this one.

And, she was an absolute kid magnet! When I used to bring her to my softball games kids were constantly asking me if they could pet her. I'd say, Yes, and then ask them if they wanted to take her for a walk. Many times, before I realized it, an hour had gone by without them having brought Logan back to me and I'd say, "Where's Logan??!!" In the end, always got her back.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (76.26 KiB) Viewed 4877 times
And, that shedding thing? White fur must show up the most? For that reason, I held on to a second Honda Accord just for when she was coming with me. And, the same day I had her euthanized (due to lung cancer) I drover HER Honda Accord to the junk yard. It was nearly 22 years old with 248,000 miles on it. The engine was still perfect but due to it having been a New England car all its life everything else on the car was falling apart.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

Guys, the only dog... THE ONLY DOG you can ever even consider getting is a Shiba Inu. ;D ;D ;D
MB
Ruby on Rails rules all
www.allterraininvesting.com
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Smith1776 wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:34 pm Guys, the only dog... THE ONLY DOG you can ever even consider getting is a Shiba Inu. ;D ;D ;D
Don't think I'd ever prior heard of this breed. Or, knowingly saw one in person.

Not a bad looking dog.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (80.45 KiB) Viewed 4670 times
But for a variety of reasons would NOT be MY top choice. Of course, my tops would a white German Shepherd. And, other breeds would also be ahead of the Shiba Inu.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

vnatale wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:10 pm
Smith1776 wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:34 pm Guys, the only dog... THE ONLY DOG you can ever even consider getting is a Shiba Inu. ;D ;D ;D
Don't think I'd ever prior heard of this breed. Or, knowingly saw one in person.

Not a bad looking dog. Capture.JPG

But for a variety of reasons would NOT be MY top choice. Of course, my tops would a white German Shepherd. And, other breeds would also be ahead of the Shiba Inu.

Vinny
THEY'RE THE CUTEST. OMG. ;D ;D ;D
MB
Ruby on Rails rules all
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

MangoMan wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:44 pm I don't know how this thread managed to go 5 pages over 6 years and I never participated, but duh, get a pug.
Still not as cute as the doge... ^-^
MB
Ruby on Rails rules all
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

MangoMan wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:44 pm I don't know how this thread managed to go 5 pages over 6 years and I never participated, but duh, get a pug.
When I had my white German Shepherd no one was going to get into my house via the garage side where her house was. Do pugs provide similar protection?

Vinny
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

MangoMan wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:51 pm
vnatale wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:50 pm
When I had my white German Shepherd no one was going to get into my house via the garage side where her house was. Do pugs provide similar protection?

Vinny
Pugs only provide protection from stray food staying on the floor for an extended period of time.
I have to admit that pugs are incredibly cute in their own right.
MB
Ruby on Rails rules all
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal »

If you like brushing / grooming dogs regularly you could try a collie !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvPVQx_Jnt8
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Don’t worry, you did on page 2, mentioning a few more breeds.

Vinny, that white German Shepherd is exquisite. As is Xan’s Samoyed. I don’t remember this thread at all. Maybe this one’s actually worth digging up. (TennPaGa is long gone, though).

I grew up with a mutt, part golden part & spaniel maybe. Adorable, loyal, used to break up fights between the cats and between us kids as well.

Shiba inus are pretty cute. I like that meme with the shiba stuck in a hedge and just kind of hanging out like all is well. We have some in the neighborhood, always with Chinese owners. (I know, the breed is Japanese).

GetACat.
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ad Orientem »

If you are not intimidated by large dogs, I am partial to the Great Pyrenees. They are wonderfully affectionate and very loyal. They also make good guard dogs. On the downside they can be somewhat sluggish in warmer weather (mine spends half the day napping) and they can get big, especially males.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

One more. :)
DBS_ShibaInu_1280.jpg
DBS_ShibaInu_1280.jpg (259.19 KiB) Viewed 4395 times
MB
Ruby on Rails rules all