What kind of dog should I get?

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Re: What kind of dog should I get?

Post by MediumTex »

Get a small dog.  We are currently raising two mixed breed puppies that will be about 10 pounds when they're done growing, and the smaller size seems to make everything easier.

I had only had big dogs before and the small dog experience has been nothing but pleasant surprises so far.  However, since one of the puppies was the TOTAL ALPHA MALE from the litter, dealing with him is often sort of like dealing with a giant wolf.
Q: “Do you have funny shaped balloons?”
A: “Not unless round is funny.”
Bob

Post by Bob »

We all have our opinions when it comes to dogs.  Our female lab, that we had for over 14 years was the sweetest, gentle dog you could own.  When I was deployed and someone tried to break into the house while my wife was home, this sweet dog turned protective!  We had her before our son was born and the two of them became great pals.  She put up with him pulling her fur, etc.  She only growled at him once - but he had just pulled out a large tuft of her fur.  She never snapped at him.  I've always been partial to labs.
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ad Orientem »

Go to the local pound and pick a dog. If your like most people you will want to take all of them home.
Trumpism is not a philosophy or a movement. It's a cult.
Benko
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Benko »

Dogs have different personalities so do your research.  DO NOT go to pound and just pick up some cute dog without knowing if it will work for you.  Do you want a low energy dog?  A high energy dog? Dog that doesn't shed, etc. Dogs come in classes e.g. working class, sheparding, etc.  It is worth knowing about these as there are traits that run in classes.  There are websites that give you details.

I would totally dissent from the small dog thing.  There are some nice small dogs e.g. Bijons (sp?), etc but larger dogs tend to be mellower.  Think about it--a 40-60+ lb dog is going to be much less concerned for its safety then a dog less than 30 lbs. 

I will also suggest that you NOT get a puppy.  Get a more mature dog.  The personalities of puppies is still in development whereas when you go see a more grown dog you will know what you are getting.

As far as the cat, in general, very few dogs are likely to "eat" the cat.  I did have a cat in school and lived in a house with other students including a woman who had a 40+ lbs dog.  The dog was curious but the cat was terrified for a long while.  Of course the age of the cat matters.  My cat was 11 years old.  Make sure you give the cat a place of safety to retreat to until it gets used to the dog.  WHen you go to get the dog, tell them you have a cat.
It was good being the party of Robin Hood. Until they morphed into the Sheriff of Nottingham
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex »

Coffee is a total dog expert.  Hopefully he will chime in.

I agree that getting a mature dog is nice if you can find the right one.  Like humans, though, it can be hard to find one that is mature, that doesn't already have a home, and that hasn't had too many hard knocks along the way that manifest in an unpredictable personality.

Many small dogs are hyper, but not all of them.  It's probably easier to find a chilled out large dog than small dog.
Gumby
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Gumby »

I'm not a dog expert (and Coffee can correct me if I'm wrong), but here's what I've read/found: It is often recommended that you get a dog that matches your own energy level. If you get a book about dog breeds, 90% of the breeds are considered to be "high energy" dogs. It matters because...

Before dogs were domesticated, dogs evolved to hunt and migrate twice a day. Once in the morning and once in the evening — they typically rested when the sun was at its zenith to avoid the midday heat. Once they were domesticated they typically worked in that pattern as well. Therefore, if you have a high energy dog and you are a low energy person, your dog will still want a big walk two times per day. And by "walk" I mean where you are walking your dog, not your dog walking you.

Exercise should also come before feedings as dogs migrated until they found all the foods/kills they were looking for, and exercising on a totally full stomach isn't so great for their digestion/performance.

And for a high energy dog, letting them out in a big yard doesn't cut it — they truly need to feel like they migrated somewhere and back with you (their leader). If you don't do it, they start to go a little crazy and will likely have some annoying behavioral issues. They are like a clock that keeps winding itself and needs to be unwound twice a day.

So, a tired dog is a good dog.

On the other hand, if you aren't up to the task, you can just get a low energy dog and they will poop out very easily. The only problem is that few breeds are "low energy" and the ones that are can have some odd health issues from what I understand.
Last edited by Gumby on Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing I say should be construed as advice or expertise. I am only sharing opinions which may or may not be applicable in any given case.
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex »

Anyone have any tips on house training dogs?

Check out Coffee's dog books on Amazon.  Coffee is like a dog encyclopedia.
Bean
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Bean »

Have dog-sat and owned multiple dogs.

My favorites have always been mutts that were a mix of working class breeds, Bassett hounds, and Mastiffs.
“Let every man divide his money into three parts, and invest a third in land, a third in business and a third let him keep by him in reserve.� ~Talmud
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex »

Desert wrote:
MediumTex wrote: Anyone have any tips on house training dogs?

Check out Coffee's dog books on Amazon.  Coffee is like a dog encyclopedia.
Can you point me to Coffee's books on Amazon?
Here you go.
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex »

The best dog I ever had was a Boxer/Pit Bull mix.  He was more like a person than I ever thought a dog could be.  Always the coolest one in the room.

If you can find a small Rhodesian Ridgeback, those are really good dogs.  That was my last dog before the little ones I have now.  She was very laid back, but intelligent and perceptive.  I say small, though, because some of these dogs are really large, and IMHO not very good to have around kids.  When I was a kid a neighbor had a large male Rhodesian Ridgeback that would chase you and literally tackle you.  The first thing you would feel would be his paws on the top of your shoulders.  That dog also liked to jump on the trampoline. 

Here is a nice small one (probably about 60 lbs):

This is more like my neighbor's dog when I was a kid:

l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start »

my parents adopted a Rhodesian Ridgeback mix from the pound, and later turned it over to my sister when they moved to an apartment. very lovable dog lots of energy and personality,  it was young but full size when they got it so the dog  took a couple/few years to out grow the "puppy brain". not a neurotic or destructive dog but lots of silly behavior and a bit slow to get the plot..  i would second the recommendation for the breed...
-Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
hoost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by hoost »

We have rescued two Dobermann's in the last couple of years and we really enjoy them.  They are extremely intelligent dogs and also high energy, so a strong owner is a must, otherwise the dogs will train you.  They love to be around their owners...one of my dogs follows me to every room, then will just sit and watch whatever I'm doing and try to sneak in for a pet whenever he can.  I definitely recommend doing some breed research and seeing what type of dog you would like to have, and then getting in touch with some local rescues and finding adult dogs (> 2 years) that seem to get along well with everyone in the family.
Benko
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Benko »

MediumTex wrote: The best dog I ever had was a Boxer/Pit Bull mix.  He was more like a person than I ever thought a dog could be.  Always the coolest one in the room.
Boxers are very sweet dogs. Someone I knew had a boxer/shepard mix and he was very intelligent and lovable.  I've only experienced them as grown dogs but a quick google informs me that they can be a handful when a puppy (reminder to google and thoroughly read about dogs before buying). 

"strong owner is a must, otherwise the dogs will train you"
This is an important comment.  Some dogs e.g. Alaskan malamut are "dominant".

"getting in touch with some local rescues and finding adult dogs (> 2 years) that seem to get along well with everyone in the family"

+1.  There are dogs that are turned in for a number of reasons e.g. people move or pass away and you can ask the shelter why the dog was turned in and what the personality of the dog is.
Last edited by Benko on Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
It was good being the party of Robin Hood. Until they morphed into the Sheriff of Nottingham
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick »

I've got an Australian cattledog and love her to death. She's medium-sized, about 30 pounds, and incredibly loyal and gentle around my son. She's a protector dog, and both of them know it. Watching him and the dog bond has been something magical. They truly interact with one another. He brings her bones to chew on, they play tug-of-war, she tried to herd his push-toys, etc.

She is high-energy though, and can walk for like 3 hours seemingly without getting tired! One thing that has worked well was getting her a doggie backpack and filling it with liter water bottles. I start out her walks with a sprint and it just exhausts her and she's tired and controllable for the remainder of the walk. Humans are endurance runners; most animals are not.

Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by flyingpylon »

I used to be a "big dogs only" person based on my experiences growing up, but my family (kids 12 and 9) has had a mini goldendoodle (golden retriever - miniature poodle mix) for about 2.5 years and he's really been a great dog.  He's about 25 pounds, super soft fur, doesn't shed at all, extremely good natured, doesn't bark much, and isn't terribly hard to tire out.  About the only downside is that he has to go to the groomer every couple of months and he probably wouldn't be the best guard dog.

I don't have a photo handy but a Google image search turns up lots of photos that look just like him.  There are some color variations... ours is the cream color with a little hint of red.
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick »

Desert wrote: PS, that's a great photo - I can see the intelligence and intensity in her face.  Can you remind me how old your son is now?  And did you get the dog as a puppy, or full grown?  I did look into Australian Cattledogs a bit a while back, and I remember them being rated as very intelligent.  They also would appear to be well suited for a warm environment. 

I'm going to do more research on this breed.  One more question: how did you choose?  Did you research a bunch of breeds, or just happen on this one?  Thanks for the info.
We got her at age 3 in a shelter, believe it or not. We were so lucky to find her among all the poor unwanted pit bulls and chihuahuas. She's about 7 now, and my son's 17 months old. He's grown up around her. It makes me sad to think that she'll probably die while he's still in early elementary school.
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
Coffee
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Coffee »

Hi, Guys:

Sorry about the delay: I just noticed this thread. 

It's really hard to pick out a dog from the animal shelter.  Even being an experienced dog-man, it's a lot like buying a used car: You really don't know what you're getting until you bring it home and test drive it for a few weeks. 

Then again, you could probably say the same thing about buying a dog from a breeder. 

The best time to look for a dog is around the end of February or March, because everybody with an Xmas puppy is now at the adolescent phase and those without dog skills are getting frustrated.

As for breeds: If you're a typical American family with kids, I recommend the following:

Bigger dog breeds: English Labrador.  Avoid the hunting bloodline dogs-- totally different animal; Portugese Water Dog; Standard Poodle; Golden retriever (if you don't mind the hair); Rhodesian Ridgeback if you're a jogger.

Medium size breeds: Australian Shepherd; Nova Scotia Duck Toiling Dog; Avoid the Cattle Dog/Heeler unless you personally know the dog. Too many have weak nerves and are fear biters.  I love the breed, but they're not for the amateur unless you're absolutely positive the one you're getting has good nerves and is very, very social.

Smaller breeds: Boston Terrier; Schipperke.

Let me know if you have any more questions.  We're opening a new location in Reno, Nevada.  If you're anywhere nearby and want me to take a look at a dog-- give me a holler:

http://www.katztrainsdogs.com
"Now remember, when things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. "
Coffee
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Coffee »

Hi, Desert:

My understanding is that "hypo-allergenic" breeds don't really exist:
http://www.sfgate.com/health/article/Hy ... 978769.php

Also: Here's an article I wrote on my position on dog parks:
http://www.dogtrainingtips.com/dog-obed ... -dog-park/

As for the breeds you mention: Assuming the dog will be living inside the house with you and your family (he should!) -- any of the above breeds will be fine.  It's not like buying a car at your local dealership.  It's hard ... HARD ... to find a good breeder who is in your geographic area.  So, I'd personally go with whoever is breeding the nicest dogs, regardless of preference for one breed over the other. 

The trick is to find somebody who has both parents on the premises, because that's the best indication as to what your dog's temperament will be like.  That will give you more of a clue than what breed the dog is.  Both parents should be social and possessing good nerves.  Do not believe any breeder b.s. about 'this breed needing time to warm up to you.'

- Adam
"Now remember, when things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. "
Coffee
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Coffee »

If you adopt an older dog, hire a local dog trainer to bring their dog down to the shelter so you can make sure the dog you're considering isn't dog aggressive.  (And to get a second opinion.)
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan »

I've always had Samoyeds, and can't recommend them highly enough.  Friendliest fluffballs you've ever seen.  Yes, there's shedding, but it's all fur and extremely little dander.  (My mom has actually made a little proof-of-concept sweater out of Sammy fur that she spun and knitted.)  They have the greatest temperament in the world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samoyed_%28dog%29

Last edited by Xan on Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Benko
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Benko »

OMG between that (the puppy pic is adorable) and PS's pic, I think I need to go out and get a dog now. 

Sigh, First I need to move from my apt.
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick »

Benko wrote: OMG between that (the puppy pic is adorable) and PS's pic, I think I need to go out and get a dog now. 

Sigh, First I need to move from my apt.
That dog of mine lived in an apartment for four years, believe it or not. We just had to walk her a ton to make up for the cramped interior living space.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
Coffee
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Coffee »

I don't have enough time in my day to brush out a coat like that.  :)
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex »

Coffee wrote: I don't have enough time in my day to brush out a coat like that.  :)
Wouldn't it just turn into dreads if you left it alone?

I think that the white dreads with a Jamaican flag-colored collar would be cool.
Coffee
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Coffee »

Last edited by Coffee on Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.