Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Figuring Out Religion

Post by pp4me » Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:34 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:21 pm
"Intolerant Fears"
Reflection Questions:
1. Would you consider yourself biased to any considerable degree?
Of course I am to a very considerable degree. So are you and every other creature alive on planet earth.
2. Did Jesus deal with bias issues in His ministry? How can perfect love cast out fear?
He said he was only sent to the lost sheep of the house of Israel and called a Syrian woman who asked for healing a dog. He did despise religious hypocrites but I see no evidence any where of him preaching racial tolerance.

He also said that the fearful and unbelieving will have their place with the whore mongers and sorcerers in the lake that burns with fire and brimstone.
3. If one has deep-seated prejudices, is there a healthy way to work through them?
Reject ethnomasochism. I've heard this term used by John Derbyshire but never really thought he was talking about some kind of deep-rooted and possibly sexual fetish until now. See the video of the CEO of Chik-Fila shining the shoes of a black musician and some police even doing similar things. In sadomasochism there is a thing called "cuckolding" where a man desires to see his wife having sex with another man called a "bull" and if the "bull" is a black man that makes it even better. In CHAZ one of the leaders told all the white people to take a ten dollar bill out of their pockets and give it to a black person before they left for the evening. Reminded me of another sadomasochistic practice called "financial domination" where men get off having women drain their wallets.

If my theory is true then the #1 bestseller book called "White Fragility" might actually be an erotic masterpiece of this form of sadomasochism and that's why it's so popular and will even be required reading in schools.

So maybe the pastors of America should start warning people to stop their whoremongering practices lest they burn in the lake of fire.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:18 am

Strange Rites: New Religions for a Godless World

https://www.amazon.com/Strange-Rites-Ne ... l_huc_item

JUNE 18, 2020
Strange Rites
The American Interest contributing editor Tara Burton offered her thoughts on why some Americans are moving away from traditional religion. This virtual program was sponsored by the Strand Bookstore in New York City.

https://www.c-span.org/video/?472808-1/strange-rites
"I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats."
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:50 pm

pp4me wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:34 pm

Reject ethnomasochism. I've heard this term used by John Derbyshire but never really thought he was talking about some kind of deep-rooted and possibly sexual fetish until now. See the video of the CEO of Chik-Fila shining the shoes of a black musician and some police even doing similar things. In sadomasochism there is a thing called "cuckolding" where a man desires to see his wife having sex with another man called a "bull" and if the "bull" is a black man that makes it even better. In CHAZ one of the leaders told all the white people to take a ten dollar bill out of their pockets and give it to a black person before they left for the evening. Reminded me of another sadomasochistic practice called "financial domination" where men get off having women drain their wallets.

If my theory is true then the #1 bestseller book called "White Fragility" might actually be an erotic masterpiece of this form of sadomasochism and that's why it's so popular and will even be required reading in schools.

So maybe the pastors of America should start warning people to stop their whoremongering practices lest they burn in the lake of fire.
I'll quote at length a relevant passage from the incredibly depressing book, The Strange Death Of Europe:
The desire to continue to feel yourself guilty arguably finds its end point in modern European liberal societies: the first societies in human history who, when they are hit, ask what they did to deserve it. For unassuageable historical guilt carries over into the present. It makes Europeans the guilty party even when they are actually hit, or worse. Several years before the latest surge in the migration crisis a left-wing Norwegian politician called Karsten Nordal Hauken (a self-described "feminist," 'anti-racist' and heterosexual) was brutally raped in his own home by a male Somali refugee. His attacker was subsequently caught and convicted with the help of DNA evidence. After serving his sentence of four and a half years the attacker was scheduled for deportation back to his native Somalia.

In a subsequent piece for the Norwegian media Hauken described the guilt that he felt for this. Indeed, he said that his first instincts were that he felt 'responsible' for his rapist's return to Somalia. 'I had a strong feeling of guilt and responsibility.' he wrote. 'I was the reason that he would not be in Norway anymore, but rather sent to a dark uncertain future in Somalia.' It is one thing to try to forgive your enemies. But it is another thing entirely to be brutally raped and then worry about the future living arrangements of your rapist. Perhaps masochism is a thing that that always afflicts a certain number of people at any one time. Perhaps the masochists, like the poor, will always be with us. But a society that rewards those with such tendencies, and indeed tells people with such tendencies that their tendencies are not just natural but a demonstration of virtue, is a society likely to produce a higher concentration of masochists than most.
If you look at it in a certain light, this is a fairly elite humblebrag. Karsten seems to be saying that he's so goddamn good-looking that the Somali couldn't help but rape him. It's a high level maneuver, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for him.
I hated all the things I had toiled for under the sun, because I must leave them to the one who comes after me. Who knows whether that person will be wise or foolish? Yet they will have control over all the fruit of my toil into which I have poured my effort and skill under the sun. . . Nothing is better for a man than to eat and drink and enjoy his work.
- Ecclesiastes
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:22 am

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:50 pm
Perhaps masochism is a thing that that always afflicts a certain number of people at any one time. Perhaps the masochists, like the poor, will always be with us. But a society that rewards those with such tendencies, and indeed tells people with such tendencies that their tendencies are not just natural but a demonstration of virtue, is a society likely to produce a higher concentration of masochists than most.
Interesting that this ended up in the "Figuring Out Religion" thread.
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ad Orientem » Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:02 pm

Orthodox Christian Chant - Requiem by the Choir of the Great Kiev Lavra in Church-Slavonic w/English subtitles. (appx 10 mins)

https://youtu.be/1aqgmbDcqj4
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:02 am

“The gates of Hell shall not prevail against it.” (See Matthew 16:13-28.) That is what Jesus promises about His Church. It is a timely promise for hearers given our current situation. The pandemic is putting Jesus’ assurance to the test. My admittedly anecdotal experience suggests that even congregations that have returned to worship are seeing a significant decline in participation. We have traditionally measured engagement in the Church and maturity of faith with Sunday morning attendance. Not only is this no longer a reliable measure, but we are also being forced to consider why and how we have been measuring things that way, as well as why we do what we are accustomed to doing as the Church every week.

As we consider such foundational questions, Jesus’ promise of endurance becomes crucially significant. Whatever the “new normal” may be, and whatever Bible study, worship, and our life together look like in the short and long term, the Church will endure. Not even the gates of Hell will prevail against it. In a context where just about everything else seems up in the air (even sports and school!), there is certainty in Christ. Two things are ultimately certain in life, and they are not death and taxes. It is Jesus’ return and the preservation of His people until that day.
Its OK if some people don’t like you, not everyone has good taste.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:51 pm

Great Garage Theology today:

https://youtu.be/O9ddFODlz4E

Enjoy!
Its OK if some people don’t like you, not everyone has good taste.
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ad Orientem » Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:31 pm

The Patristic Exegesis of Romans 9:1-13

https://orthodoxchristiantheology.com/2 ... ans-91-13/

The Patristic Exegesis of Romans 9:14-33

https://orthodoxchristiantheology.com/2 ... ns-914-33/

Predestination, synergism, Pelagianism, and the like... fun stuff.