Figuring Out Religion

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

User avatar
Xan
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 2350
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:51 pm

Re: Figuring Out Religion

Post by Xan » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:17 pm

Our new pastor, Rev. Bryan Wolfmueller, delivered a great sermon today on the parable of the Good Samaritan. The gist being "you have no right to a 'not my neighbor' list".
https://www.stpaulaustin.org/sermons/se ... ays-fails/
User avatar
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1837
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:28 pm

Re: Figuring Out Religion

Post by Kriegsspiel » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:06 pm

Possibly the first scientific proof of God performing a miracle.
To die, to sleep
To sleep, perchance to dream; ay, there's the rub
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come
User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 8785
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Location: next to emotional support peacock
Contact:

Re: Figuring Out Religion

Post by dualstow » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:29 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:06 pm
Possibly the first scientific proof of God performing a miracle.
Fascinating! At the same time, I now have a new worst nightmare.
RIP Paul Volcker
User avatar
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1837
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:28 pm

Re: Figuring Out Religion

Post by Kriegsspiel » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:26 pm

Jesus was a winer, but this guy ales.
To die, to sleep
To sleep, perchance to dream; ay, there's the rub
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come
User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 8785
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Location: next to emotional support peacock
Contact:

Re: Figuring Out Religion

Post by dualstow » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:03 am

Xan wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:17 pm
Our new pastor, Rev. Bryan Wolfmueller, delivered a great sermon today on the parable of the Good Samaritan. The gist being "you have no right to a 'not my neighbor' list".
https://www.stpaulaustin.org/sermons/se ... ays-fails/
I listened to it last night instead of the usual podcasts. Not bad. He’s got an interesting accent, definitely not Albuquerque. He kind of pronounces his O’s like the people in Fargo.
RIP Paul Volcker
User avatar
Xan
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 2350
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:51 pm

Re: Figuring Out Religion

Post by Xan » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:49 am

dualstow wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:03 am
Xan wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:17 pm
Our new pastor, Rev. Bryan Wolfmueller, delivered a great sermon today on the parable of the Good Samaritan. The gist being "you have no right to a 'not my neighbor' list".
https://www.stpaulaustin.org/sermons/se ... ays-fails/
I listened to it last night instead of the usual podcasts. Not bad. He’s got an interesting accent, definitely not Albuquerque. He kind of pronounces his O’s like the people in Fargo.
You're right it's an unusual accent. He's originally from Texas. I haven't heard anyone else speak quite like that. I might ask him some time.
User avatar
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1181
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:35 am

Re: Figuring Out Religion

Post by Tortoise » Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:53 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:26 pm
Jesus was a winer, but this guy ales.
Alcoholic fermentation produces CO2 gas as a byproduct, so this guy also burps -- a lot.
jacksonm2
Full Member
Full Member
Posts: 78
Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:46 pm

Re: Figuring Out Religion

Post by jacksonm2 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:21 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:53 pm
Kriegsspiel wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:26 pm
Jesus was a winer, but this guy ales.
Alcoholic fermentation produces CO2 gas as a byproduct, so this guy also burps -- a lot.
We all know that Jesus can turn water into wine. I prefer beer but wine is okay.
User avatar
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1837
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:28 pm

Re: Figuring Out Religion

Post by Kriegsspiel » Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:58 pm

I can just see the Urban Dictionary entries now.

"I was Pumping The Keg and was rewarded with a Jello Shot and a nice Pissner."
To die, to sleep
To sleep, perchance to dream; ay, there's the rub
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come
User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 8785
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Location: next to emotional support peacock
Contact:

Re: Figuring Out Religion

Post by dualstow » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:42 pm

jacksonm2 wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:21 pm
Tortoise wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:53 pm
Kriegsspiel wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:26 pm
Jesus was a winer, but this guy ales.
Alcoholic fermentation produces CO2 gas as a byproduct, so this guy also burps -- a lot.
We all know that Jesus can turn water into wine. I prefer beer but wine is okay.
According to the Comic (Book) Story of Beer, the editors of the New Testament mostly removed references to beer and replaced them with wine and they explained why, though I forget the details. Of course, I’d like to see a more scholarly source corroborating that notion, but Judea and Egypt was mostly beer country.

(Yes, Rome is a different story. In fact, that may have been the point).
RIP Paul Volcker
User avatar
shekels
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 117
Joined: Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:01 am

Re: Figuring Out Religion

Post by shekels » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:03 am

jacksonm2 wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:21 pm
Tortoise wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:53 pm
Kriegsspiel wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:26 pm
Jesus was a winer, but this guy ales.
Alcoholic fermentation produces CO2 gas as a byproduct, so this guy also burps -- a lot.
We all know that Jesus can turn water into wine. I prefer beer but wine is okay.
Tried some Gruit. The early beer.
It was brewed with Herbs instead of Hops
Some herbs used were known to have stimulating and even aphrodisiac effects.
So with that, Herbs were phased out and Hops were used to make you tired. ;)
What do Christmas lights and Jeffrey Epstein have in common?
They don’t hang themselves.
User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 8785
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Location: next to emotional support peacock
Contact:

Re: Figuring Out Religion

Post by dualstow » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:46 am

O0
RIP Paul Volcker
Post Reply