Moderator: Global Moderator

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Figuring Out Religion

Post by dualstow » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:23 pm

vnatale wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:04 pm
I once had a pastor telling me that if a farmer was praying for a good crop that that farmer should also be praying with a hoe in his hand -- meaning doing his part in making the prayer come to fruition.

Trust in Allah, but tie your camel

- Berber proverb
New York City disbanded its anticrime unit of plainclothes officers on June 15, part of a $1 billion reduction in the city’s police budget. —WSJ
jacksonm2

Post by jacksonm2 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:00 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:00 am
Jacksonm2, I am so sorry that your daughter, and you, are suffering on this side of the Last Day.
Thanks. I'll let her know that it's the Last Day and Jesus is coming soon. Sure that will help.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:06 pm

jacksonm2 wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:00 pm
Mountaineer wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:00 am
Jacksonm2, I am so sorry that your daughter, and you, are suffering on this side of the Last Day.
Thanks. I'll let her know that it's the Last Day and Jesus is coming soon. Sure that will help.
jacksonm2: I'm sorry you interpreted my condolences so glibly. I was serious, I am sorry you are suffering. You, and your daughter, are a fellow human beings deserving of compassion regardless of your beliefs.
Vocation - doing what God has given me to do for the sake of the other.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:59 am

Into the Darkness. Pointedstick must have had his prophesy glasses on when he recently spoke of light and darkness. 8)

https://www.lhm.org/dailydevotions/defa ... e=20200123

An excerpt from today's devotion:

"But the darkness we live in is way more dangerous than the darkness from a power outage. Most of you are converts to Christianity; you know the darkness I'm talking about. I mean the spiritual darkness of fear, hatred, and hopelessness. I mean the darkness of always trying to get ahead, even if it means putting other people down—because you know you can't trust anyone, not even yourself. I mean the words that are whispered in darkness—the lies, the gossip, the backstabbing. And the actions that are born out of darkness—the cheating, the violence, the hurting of other people to get what we want, because we want it, and we want it now.

Into this darkness, Jesus came as the Light of the world. Evil can't live in His presence. When Jesus arrives, all the evils that used to run freely scuttle away as fast as they can, looking for dark corners to hide. Where Jesus is, there is life and joy and protection and blessedness."
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:24 am

YOU Forgive Sins

A short uplifting video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0_q2Fc ... COPY_01%29
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:27 am

Mountaineer wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:24 am
YOU Forgive Sins

A short uplifting video.

Part of our call process was to look for people who could write really well backwards.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:50 am

Xan wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:27 am
Mountaineer wrote:
YOU Forgive Sins

A short uplifting video.

Part of our call process was to look for people who could write really well backwards.
Xan, I do like Pr. Wolfmueller's insights and presentations very much. You are blessed to have him. Is he as good in person as his YouTube material?
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:55 am

Mountaineer wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:50 am
Xan wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:27 am
Mountaineer wrote:
YOU Forgive Sins

A short uplifting video.

Xan, I do like Pr. Wolfmueller's insights and presentations very much. You are blessed to have him. Is he as good in person as his YouTube material?
He is amazingly engaging. He can preach a really long sermon and it doesn't feel long. In fact the past couple of weeks, and for at least the next several, he's doing two different sermons each Sunday: at our early service he's preaching on the Epistle text, and at our late service on the Gospel text. He's just overflowing with wonderful things to say! So whichever service I attend, I still need to go to the website to hear the other one.

But yes, he's just the same guy in person, whether it's one-on-one, adult Bible study, or in the Divine Service, as he is on YouTube. Which is a very good thing. If and when we get a Texas meetup going, you should come to a service.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:36 am

Thanks for the info. I would gladly come to your church. 8) It’s been quite a while since I was in “Don’t Mess With Texas” country, far too long.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:39 pm

"Repent of expecting the kingdom of heaven to come in the way that you think it should come. Repent of thinking that the kingdom of heaven should come in ways that make sense to human reason. The kingdom of heaven has come near to you. In whatever you’re suffering, whatever pain, whatever oppression or difficulty, with whatever you’re struggling against, Jesus has come to heal it. He has come to heal it all. But it appears in weakness in this creation, as long as this creation lasts. As long as people are born, get sick, suffer, and die, Jesus continues to bring His kingdom under those signs, creating it wherever He speaks. In your weakness, cling to Jesus. In your sickness, cling to Jesus. In your suffering, cling to Jesus. Because He will bring you to the glorious appearance of His kingdom and the transformation of this creation. As long as you’re alive in this creation, sin and death will continue to cause suffering. But He will keep you until the day when sin and death will see their eternal defeat."

https://bishopandchristian.com/2020/01/ ... of-heaven/
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ad Orientem » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:22 pm

God As the Weeping Light to the World

https://orthochristian.com/127589.html
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:50 pm

Desert wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:15 pm
Kshartle wrote: Doodle, how do you know God didn't direct them? Just because something has no proof doesn't mean you shouldn't believe in it. :)

They realize they've been mentally abused into thinking their creator made them a horible creature worthy only of a lake of fire and gave them natural instincts they are supposed to go against (self-interest). They are also responsible for the actions of people who came before them. Listen, it has nothing to do with some men trying to control the minds of other men and give them position and wealth. It can't be that because God wouldn't allow that. Well.....he will in every other religion and in government and other organizations and in abusive homes and etc. etc. but not in this one.
Kshartle, I'd really like to hear more about your experience with religion.  I guess I'm asking for your agnostic/atheistic "testimony."  I know that sounds strange, but here's why I'm asking:  You obviously have very strong opinions regarding morality, violence, authority, etc.  I'd like to know a little more about your path to your present views.  I wonder this about a lot of people, but you've been quite verbose in your defense of your views, so I think it makes sense for you to share a bit of your personal journey to these beliefs. 

I mean this with all due respect.  And of course, it's a shameless plea to extend the length of this thread from a mere 20+ pages to something closer to infinity.  :)

Does 362 (and counting) pages constitute being "closer to infinity"??!!!

Vinny
"I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats."