Withdraw from stocks or cash?

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Withdraw from stocks or cash?

Post by Pointedstick »

I need to make a withdrawal from my taxable PP to help fund a large purchase and I'm torn between two options:

Option 1: withdraw cash
Withdrawing cash wouldn't require selling any volatile assets and dilute the taxable PP's "punch", and it also wouldn't trigger any serious capital gains taxes. After selling the cash, I would contribute only to cash for a few months to build it back up again, avoiding any rebalancing fees and taxes.

Option 2: sell appreciated stocks and rebalance
The taxable PP's stock allocation has gone bananas this year and given that I have to withdraw something anyway, I'm tempted to sell the stocks to lock in my very nice 30% gains. After this, I would rebalance.

Thoughts?
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Withdraw from stocks or cash?

Post by moda0306 »

You can always accomplish a rebalance in accounts where you don't have a tax-punishment for doing so (401k, Roth IRA, your new SEP Plan with your business!!)

If I were inclined to make a purchase, I would always shy away from engaging in a premature taxable event that can be deferred.  If I want to rebalance, I always want to prioritize using tax-sheltered accounts.

I'd rebalance in your Roth or 401(k) (or whatever), and use cash to make the purchase.  Then replenish your cash over time.. if you have an emergency in the meantime, THEN you can sell stocks.
"Men did not make the earth. It is the value of the improvements only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property. Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds."

- Thomas Paine
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

If you have any 0% taxable gains space, I'd use it.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Option 2: Stocks. I don't know what you should do, but I've been trimming stocks to pay for an expensive home renovation. Mostly VP stocks, but if necessary, I will rebalance at the current 32.5% stocks share instead of 35%. I'm not rich enough to have a large tax bill.
Bean
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Bean »

Would go with cash, and just add back to it.  Unless you love that sub 1% yield.
“Let every man divide his money into three parts, and invest a third in land, a third in business and a third let him keep by him in reserve.� ~Talmud