Who Killed Kennedy?

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

What's your view of the Kennedy assassination?

The evidence is overwhelming, it was a conspiracy.
15%
Lots of questions and loose ends, it might have been a conspiracy.
15%
I am unsure.
15%
There are some unanswered questions, but the evidence points to Oswald.
38%
The evidence is overwhelming, Oswald did it alone.
15%

Total votes: 26
Jan Van
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Who Killed Kennedy?

Post by Jan Van » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:36 am

Nova: Cold Case JFK
Can modern forensic science uncover fresh clues about the assassination of JFK?
Aired November 13, 2013 on PBS
"Well, if you're gonna sin you might as well be original" -- Mike "The Cool-Person"
"Yeah, well, that’s just, like, your opinion, man" -- The Dude
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ad Orientem » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:39 am

Kshartle wrote:
ns2 wrote:
Kshartle wrote: So they admit to trying to create involuntary assasins to murder and take all blame (hardly a noble thing) but you believe them when they say they failed?
They've done far less noble things than that and no, I don't believe a word they say. Kennedy himself was behind some of those ignoble things and that is well documented.

One of the more interesting pieces of fuel for the conspiracy fires is the deathbed confession of E. Howard Hunt, the convicted Watergate burglar and former CIA agent. He made a recorded deathbed confession to his son, and I think you can hear it on the internet, in which he confessed that it was a CIA hit job.

I'm still not convinced and probably never will be but I've always thought if there was a conspiracy, they were the most likely culprits behind it - not the Russians and not the mob.
Yeah, how could the russians and mob keep the us govt from exposing them? It's obvious it was the US govt. The Oswald theory is silly.
What is your evidence?
Ceterum censeo Trump delendum esse.

"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." M.Twain
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by technovelist » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:52 am

Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ad Orientem » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:14 am

Reclaiming History: The Assassination of President John F. Kennedy

http://www.amazon.com/Reclaiming-Histor ... f.+kennedy

"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." M.Twain
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ad Orientem » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:41 am

TennPaGa wrote:
Ad Orientem wrote: I figured someone just had to ask the question given the anniversary.
I seem to recall you writing that you were a Kennedy assassination (conspiracy) buff at one point (but not now).  Is that right?  If so, I'd be interested in your thoughts (both about the facts of the assassination and your own intellectual journey).
A Conspiracy of One (or the confessions of an ex-conspiracy nut)

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:15 pm

One thing is clear: a large number of people ripped off Serge Gainsbourg's Histoire de Melody Nelson, although they probably acted independently. Beck has one of the more egregious examples with Paper Tiger (although I do think it sounds fantastic).

As for Kennedy, he was shot by Oswald alone. I have seen the conspiracy theories systematically debunked but, like the case with the moon landing, there will always be those who cannot let go of their suspicions.
https://www.reddit.com/r/TactiCat
Bean
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Bean » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:26 pm

Did no one here watch Salt? it explains everything!

It was a secret Russia deep cover spy program called MK Ultra run by Oleg Orlov (who is actually based on Dmitry Orlov)
“Let every man divide his money into three parts, and invest a third in land, a third in business and a third let him keep by him in reserve.� ~Talmud
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by technovelist » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:29 pm

I'm sure there is a perfectly innocent reason why a lot of the files are still sealed:
http://www.ibtimes.com/jfk-assassinatio ... rs-1389437

Right?
ns2
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ns2 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:03 pm

technovelist wrote: I'm sure there is a perfectly innocent reason why a lot of the files are still sealed:

Right?
The CIA lies about having an Oswald file when in fact they did. They lie about knowing of his trip to Mexico City when, in fact, they monitored him the whole time (I think this is fairly well documented now but somebody can correct me if I'm wrong).

Oswald kills Kennedy. Jack Ruby, a man with mafia connections kills Oswald before he can be brought to trial.

I think there are perfectly plausible explanations for things like this, such as the CIA always lies because that's just what they do, and Jack Ruby loved Kennedy and wanted to be a hero for killing Oswald.

But I don't see how, with so many mysteries surrounding it, anyone can be considered nuts for believing there might have been a conspiracy. Even a Congressional committee came to that very same conclusion.

Modification: Actually I think the congressional committee concluded that it was likely there was a conspiracy and that was the last government word on the matter, as far as I know.
Last edited by ns2 on Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by technovelist » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:09 pm

ns2 wrote:
technovelist wrote: I'm sure there is a perfectly innocent reason why a lot of the files are still sealed:

Right?
The CIA lies about having an Oswald file when in fact they did. They lie about knowing of his trip to Mexico City when, in fact, they monitored him the whole time (I think this is fairly well documented now but somebody can correct me if I'm wrong).

Oswald kills Kennedy. Jack Ruby, a man with mafia connections kills Oswald before he can be brought to trial.

I think there are perfectly plausible explanations for things like this, such as the CIA always lies because that's what they do, and Jack Ruby loved Kennedy and wanted to be a hero for killing Oswald.

But I don't see how, with so many mysteries surrounding it, anyone can be considered nuts for believing there might have been a conspiracy. Even a Congressional committee came to that very same conclusion.
And of course Ruby died of cancerbefore he could spill the beans, which I'm sure was also a coincidence.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:54 pm

Techno,

You're employing the old, "I'm not really making a point, but just appearing to make one by way of sarcasm" technique.
Just tell us what you think happened already.
https://www.reddit.com/r/TactiCat
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:08 pm

I agree that Jack Ruby tips the scales in favor of a conspiracy. Someone wanted to make sure that Oswald would never talk. If it was Castro, the Soviets, or the Mafia behind the assassination, the government would never want the fact that there was a conspiracy to get out to the general public.