Closing the National Parks

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

notsheigetz
Executive Member
Executive Member

Closing the National Parks

Post by notsheigetz »

I was going to pose this question in the form of a poll but it didn't seem to fit within the limitations of this forum's software.

So the question is, do you a favor a law declaring that the National Parks of the United States belong to the people of the United States and cannot be closed to public use for any reason whatsoever? (however you state that in legalize)?

In the event of a government shutdown, signs shall be posted to the effect that no government employees are on duty and you enter at your own risk. And if you like, we can include a warning about extreme penalties to those who abuse public lands during the time of the government shutdown that include absolutely dire consequences (No such warnings were issued about the recent Wal-Mart food stamp scenario, BTW).

I think this would be a brilliant political tactic right now, not to mention I truly believe what I am proposing, and maybe somebody like Rand Paul should introduce the bill.
This space available for rent.
Benko
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Closing the National Parks

Post by Benko »

You can't create a law/rule to prevent every possible such behavior.

People get the gov't they vote for/deserve.
It was good being the party of Robin Hood. Until they morphed into the Sheriff of Nottingham
WildAboutHarry
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Closing the National Parks

Post by WildAboutHarry »

Or how about turning them over to the states?  I don't think "federal" parks are an enumerated power.

Of course the Feds did offer the states a portion of that option during this "crisis".
It is the settled policy of America, that as peace is better than war, war is better than tribute.  The United States, while they wish for war with no nation, will buy peace with none"  James Madison