Will Obama Try To Make Himself A King?

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Will Obama Try To Make Himself A King?

Post by Reub »

Assuming that Congress cannot settle their budget differences and the looming debt crisis, is it possible that President Obama will try to seize control of the entire government claiming that an emergency situation exists?

Just askin'.
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Will Obama Try To Make Himself A King?

Post by Ad Orientem »

As a monarchist I must gently point out that the term you are looking for is "dictator" not "king." There is a huge difference.

And the answer is no.
Trumpism is not a philosophy or a movement. It's a cult.
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick »

Nah. That would require actual leadership. ::)
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
Kshartle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kshartle »

Simonjester wrote: no because the power mad are not crazy, they know the people wont take it (yet), they will push towards the dictatorship every inch they can, and let the next guy push it further, for however long it takes..... the first american dictator will only be a front man for the power brokers in the shadows behind him. what his name is, or his/her party ends up being, or the number of election cycles it takes to get there are all non issues, as long as the ball gets pushed a bit further along...

[/wild ranting] ;D
I think it's an interesting question. The president has vast powers after declaring a state of emergency. He doesn't have another term to run for so it's certainly possible.

I think they'll do a deal at the last second or within a couple days. I'd rather see them close up shop though and stop borrowing.
Mdraf
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mdraf »

Kshartle wrote: I think it's an interesting question. The president has vast powers after declaring a state of emergency. He doesn't have another term to run for so it's certainly possible.

I think they'll do a deal at the last second or within a couple days. I'd rather see them close up shop though and stop borrowing.
Taking bets now...Obamacare delay for 6 months...The GOP will fold from complete repeal to 6 months to save face.  Dems will like it because it will give them time to fix these exchanges. Both sides will claim victory.
Last edited by Mdraf on Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kshartle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kshartle »

Mdraf wrote:
Kshartle wrote: I think it's an interesting question. The president has vast powers after declaring a state of emergency. He doesn't have another term to run for so it's certainly possible.

Taking bets now...Obamacare delay for 6 months...The GOP will fold from complete repeal to 6 months to save face.  Dems will like it because it will give them time to fix these exchanges. Both sides will claim victory.
That's the key right....both sides claiming victory.

Maybe they'll raise the debt limit by 2 trillion in exchange for 10 billion in reduced increases to the budget 20 years from now that another congress will just ignore anyway. Don't forget that compromise.

Did you see the CNN video of Obama workers going door to door to push Obamacare? Most people didn’t even know what it was. These were probably all voters too.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

Why should he do that? What could he do then that he can't do now?
Kshartle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kshartle »

Libertarian666 wrote: Why should he do that? What could he do then that he can't do now?
The point is will he just declare a state of emergency and just bypass the debt limit.

I don't know why they don't just start making platinum coins. No need to borrow or tax anymore!!!!!
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 »

Ad Orientem wrote: As a monarchist I must gently point out that the term you are looking for is "dictator" not "king." There is a huge difference.

And the answer is no.
I know you've posted on this before, but is there a source you use to support this distinction?  It sounds like hogwash to me, but as I've said before I like most of what you post so I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt.
"Men did not make the earth. It is the value of the improvements only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property. Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds."

- Thomas Paine
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Wiki says a monarch (redirected from king) "is a supreme or absolute head of a state government, either in reality or symbolically."

9pm EST Explosions in Iran (Isfahan) and Syria and Iraq. Not yet confirmed.
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex »

No.
Q: “Do you have funny shaped balloons?”
A: “Not unless round is funny.”
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

Only in his own mind ... ooops, in his mind, he already surpasses all who came before, those who are now, and those who will be. 
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex »

These days I find myself simply tuning out anything about Obama.  I don't listen to him speak, I don't read what he says, and I don't follow anything that he wants to do.  I just don't care (even if I should).  He does the opposite of inspire me.  He actually de-inspires me--i.e., after the Nobel Peace Prize followed by 4 years of steady political assassinations via drone, the health care reform debacle, the NSA revelations, the spying on reporters, the Benghazi incident, the selection of Biden as VP twice, and the complete breakdown of anything resembling civility in Washington since he's been President...I just don't care.  It's a narrative do depressing that I just want to focus on something else.

He's like a teen heart throb who has aged out of his audience's demographic but doesn't realize it and keep releasing silly songs that start to look pathetic when sung by a full grown man.

The good news, I suppose, is that the Republicans in Congress have given us some pretty solid gridlock, which I always like to see.  It's a shame that we didn't have enough gridlock to prevent health care reform from passing in the first place, or at least to prevent the bill that actually passed from being enacted; it really is a truly rotten piece of legislation, even though the system was (and is) in serious need of reform.
Q: “Do you have funny shaped balloons?”
A: “Not unless round is funny.”
smurff
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by smurff »

MediumTex wrote: He's like a teen heart throb who has aged out of his audience's demographic but doesn't realize it and keep releasing silly songs that start to look pathetic when sung by a full grown man.
After reading this MT, I had an image of Justin Bieber at the age of 52, trying to shake it on stage with a new version of "Boyfriend" (Selena Gomez gone long ago). ::)