Peter Schiff Was Right (again)

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Peter Schiff Was Right (again)

Post by pugchief » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:05 pm

Pointedstick wrote: The good news is that if you're poor, schools with a high endowment will often waive much or all of the cost. The bad news is that if you were responsible and saved the money, they just take it. Surprise! >:(
Isn't this the way most government programs work? For example, you don't buy a house more expensive than you can afford -> you pay to bail out the irresponsible people who did. Or, you save for retirement diligently -> they tax your social security, make you pay higher medicare premiums and then disqualify you from free nursing home care until your assets are exhausted.
"Congressmen should wear uniforms, you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could identify their corporate sponsors."
Kshartle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kshartle » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:09 pm

l82start wrote:
Kshartle wrote:
MediumTex wrote: The only alternative to the use of force in society is the use of persuasion.

Persuasion is harder to do than simply coercing someone if you control the use of force in society.

To me, the realization of any kind of libertarian-oriented society requires a deep respect for the role of persuasion in human affairs.

Persuasion requires an open mind and a sensitivity to other points of view because it's impossible to persuade someone of something if you don't have some understanding of why they feel the way they do and why they might not currently be willing to go along with what you would like them to do or to believe.
This is why I think the only thing we need to worry about when trying to build a better world is not hitting the kids. Teach them how problems are really solved, through persuasion and peacful negotion, logic, reason, win-win etc.

The force can't make us safe, can't give us sound money, can't shrink poverty, can't do any of the things we all want.
agree - and i would emphasize fixing education to teach/encourage critical thinking.... government educated indoctrinated dummies tend to want more government...
Imagine if McDonalds ran the schools? What do you think kids would be taught about McDonalds food?
tennpaga
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by tennpaga » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:37 pm

Pointedstick wrote: I feel like every thread with Kshartle in it turns into a variant of this extremely frustrating conversation about firearms that I suspect many of us have had:
+100
* Gresham's Law: Bad behavior drives out good.
* Gresham's corollary: Avoid participating in systems where good behavior cannot win.

https://fs.blog/2009/12/mental-model-greshams-law/
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:53 pm

TennPaGa wrote:
Pointedstick wrote: I feel like every thread with Kshartle in it turns into a variant of this extremely frustrating conversation about firearms that I suspect many of us have had:
+100
I heard a rumor that Kshartle just completed a correspondence course from a well known charm school and he will soon be unveiling a brand new silky smooth style of discussion.
Only strength can cooperate. Weakness can only beg.
-Dwight Eisenhower
Kshartle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kshartle » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:08 pm

MediumTex wrote:
TennPaGa wrote:
+100
I heard a rumor that Kshartle just completed a correspondence course from a well known charm school and he will soon be unveiling a brand new silky smooth style of discussion.
It's true. I will concentrate first on points of agreement and secondly on points of disagreement.
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:59 pm

l82start wrote:
Gumby wrote:
The problem, in my mind, is when people confuse fiscal policies with monetary policies and try to use that confusion to point out the dangers of large fiscal policies. The two policies are completely different animals. One is adding ice cubes to a glass, the other is just melting existing ice cubes in a glass (i.e. making them more liquid).
we certainly have had plenty of long threads over that confusion...
Ice cubes and water.... PERFECT ANALOGY!

Even works with "liquidity!"
"Men did not make the earth. It is the value of the improvements only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property. Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds."

- Thomas Paine