Would Cruz/Palin Be An Unbeatable Ticket?

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Would Cruz/Palin Be An Unbeatable Ticket?

Post by Libertarian666 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:33 pm

moda0306 wrote:
Libertarian666 wrote:
l82start wrote: i don't get the Sara Palin love myself, to me she is all sound bites, colorful sayings and a pretty face. if you had to go into a lab and build a character to appeal to the duck dynasty bumper-sticker slogan, low information male conservative voter you couldn't do better, but are those really leadership quality's? are they representative of deeply held or understood principals? or a measure how she would preform in office? my guess is she would be a puppet of the establishment GOP in office and would end up being Bush, McCain, Romney, Obama, part 3 4 5
I'm not a big Palin fan, but I think she would be a lot better than any of those. She actually seems to have conservative convictions.

I'm not a conservative either, but that is still better than the run of fascists we've had recently.
Tech,

Sorry but you lost about 1,000 "libertarian" points with this post.

Her words on Iraq alone wreak of Fascist excuses for military engagement and occupation.

http://www.politicsdaily.com/2008/09/02 ... gods-plan/
Pray for our military men and women who are striving to do what is right. Also, for this country, that our leaders, our national leaders, are sending [U.S. soldiers] out on a task that is from God. That's what we have to make sure that we're praying for, that there is a plan and that plan is God's will.
I don't trust Mrs. Palin for a second to keep out of my life.  She'll obviously do whatever a combination of her jingoistic and corporate supporters will ask her to.  I'm amazed that someone so obsessed with perfect liberty would even consider her tolerable.  She might get taxes lowered and reduce industry regulations, as well as possibly dismantle a few pieces of our social safety net, but she'll also likely expand our military and I highly doubt she'll be an enemy of government snoopery, and she'll say it's God's will, when that voice in her ear is not actually God, but the lobbyists she'd let make her opinion up for her.
When did I say she was tolerable? I said that I think she's less awful than the last few presidents. That's a very low bar to get over.
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:52 pm

Cruz did what most of the fatcat Senate Republicans refuse to do. He went out front and center, stated his case eloquently and forcefully against Obamacare, focused attention on why it is a trainwreck, and showed he is a gutsy, reasoned, able fighter. This will only help him in his future endeavors and might actually create the possibility for some short term gain in the Obamacare trainwreck.

MT, I really don't care that he is a freshman and hasn't passed a bill yet, to be honest. He is 100% correct about Obamacare. The Republican Party needs a Ted Cruz type now. 
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:57 pm

Reub wrote: MT, I really don't care that he is a freshman and hasn't passed a bill yet, to be honest. He is 100% correct about Obamacare. The Republican Party needs a Ted Cruz type now.
So it doesn't matter that he hasn't done anything yet as long as he's passionate and sincere, and you agree with his opinions?

I remember an awful lot of liberals saying things like that about this up-and-comer named Barack Obama in 2007! :) Myself included. :(
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:11 pm

Pointedstick wrote:
Reub wrote: MT, I really don't care that he is a freshman and hasn't passed a bill yet, to be honest. He is 100% correct about Obamacare. The Republican Party needs a Ted Cruz type now.
So it doesn't matter that he hasn't done anything yet as long as he's passionate and sincere, and you agree with his opinions?

I remember an awful lot of liberals saying things like that about this up-and-comer named Barack Obama in 2007! :) Myself included. :(
Please do not equate Ted Cruz with Barack Obama. It is a ridiculous comparison. They are diametrically opposed ideologically. The fact that you could not see what Obama really was does not in any way diminish what Cruz is today.
Last edited by Reub on Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:31 pm

Reub wrote: Please do not equate Ted Cruz with Barack Obama. It is a ridiculous comparison. They are diametrically opposed ideologically.
Obviously they believe different things and have different visions for the country. What I'm saying is that the details of their personalities, backgrounds, career trajectories, and records of accomplishment are very similar. I get that you like Cruz a lot, but try to have a bit of perspective. You sound like a starstruck teenager! :)
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:35 pm

Reub wrote:
Pointedstick wrote:

Please do not equate Ted Cruz with Barack Obama. It is a ridiculous comparison. They are diametrically opposed ideologically.
I think the point is that people should be cautious about getting too excited about backing an unknown quantity based upon impressive sounding rhetoric.

Give Ted Cruz time to develop a record and a following.  That's all I'm saying.  IMHO, many of the people who are excited about Cruz now are like Justin Bieber fans and Cruz is just their flavor of the week (Reub, I'm not saying this about you).  These same people in recent years have been excited about Ron Paul, Michele Bachmann, Rick Perry, Rand Paul and now Ted Cruz.

To build a loyal base you need more than the Drudge Report stoking the fire for you.

However good Cruz is today, won't he be even better after he has some accomplishments under his belt?  I say let him get some seasoning before sending him to the White House.
Q: “Do you have funny shaped balloons?”
A: “Not unless round is funny.”
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:56 pm

MediumTex wrote:
Reub wrote:
Pointedstick wrote: So it doesn't matter that he hasn't done anything yet as long as he's passionate and sincere, and you agree with his opinions?

Please do not equate Ted Cruz with Barack Obama. It is a ridiculous comparison. They are diametrically opposed ideologically.
I think the point is that people should be cautious about getting too excited about backing an unknown quantity based upon impressive sounding rhetoric.

Give Ted Cruz time to develop a record and a following.  That's all I'm saying.  IMHO, many of the people who are excited about Cruz now are like Justin Bieber fans and Cruz is just their flavor of the week (Reub, I'm not saying this about you).  These same people in recent years have been excited about Ron Paul, Michele Bachmann, Rick Perry, Rand Paul and now Ted Cruz.

To build a loyal base you need more than the Drudge Report stoking the fire for you.

However good Cruz is today, won't he be even better after he has some accomplishments under his belt?  I say let him get some seasoning before sending him to the White House.
Which of these is not like the others? Hint, he has been in politics for decades and has run for President several times.
Benko
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Benko » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:10 pm

MediumTex wrote: Give Ted Cruz time to develop a record and a following. 
That would be preferred, and certainly Cruz is far from perfect.  However the reality, is that there are only a relatively few interested in running, and several of those (Ryan and Rubio) have disqualified themselves by being in favor of immigration reform. 

Rand Paul does seem like a good choice (though I would like to learn more).  IF ELECTED, he might very well make a good president.  I'm not sure who stands a better chance of being elected Paul or Cruz. 

And yes, a qualified governor would be a good choice if one can find one.
It was good being the party of Robin Hood. Until they morphed into the Sheriff of Nottingham
Coffee
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Coffee » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:08 pm

There is a big difference between Cruz and Palin.  Cruz has the mental horsepower, Palin does not.  I admire Palin's convictions and a lot of her positions.  I think her heart is in the right place.  But she simply doesn't have the mental horsepower.  It's like comparing Sean Hannity to Rush Limbaugh.  Hannity is a parrot.  Rush actually has his own insights and goes against the Republican party when he thinks they are too soft.

I'm a tea party guy, and I wouldn't even vote for Palin unless she was running for governor again.

Your point about Cruz not having "accomplished" anything is not a big deal.  If he had a history of compromising with the RINOS and the Dems, he wouldn't be the ideological candidate that he is.  Your argument is like saying, "He has no history of fucking things up yet, so he's unelectable."

He may be unelectable because he comes across as mean spirited, though.  Needs to work on that, IMHO.
"Now remember, when things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. "
craigr
Administrator
Administrator

Post by craigr » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:15 pm

craigr wrote:I don't think his speaking out against ObamaCare is to rally any elected republicans. He's completely playing for the wider electorate at this point...
I'd say mission accomplished for Sen. Cruz:

http://www.wnd.com/2013/09/meltdown-gop ... unplugged/
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:17 pm

I guess that I'm not the only starstruck teenager who likes Justin Bieber these days, craigr.

:)

"WASHINGTON — Following the epic, 21-hour speech by Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, supporting the defunding of Obamacare, either voters made so many calls to establishment Republicans that their phone lines melted, or those GOP leaders took their phones off the hook."
Last edited by Reub on Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:48 pm

Ted Cruz is red hot right now.

It will be interesting to see where he is in six months.
craigr
Administrator
Administrator

Post by craigr » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:56 pm

My thinking is that Cruz and Paul are going to keep jabbing sticks in the eyes of the GOP establishment for the next few years. I get the feeling they both know how unpopular the core GOP leadership is and are going to milk it for everything. We'll just have to see if the enthusiasm lasts from the press and public...
Last edited by craigr on Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mdraf
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mdraf » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:59 pm

They are each going after a different constituency. Cruz is after the disgruntled Tea Party types. Paul is courting the quasi-libertarians and is also targeting the under 25 libertarian leaning Democrats. Together they could take over the GOP.
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:16 pm

I don't think that Paul has what is necessary to become President.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:32 pm

Reub wrote: I don't think that Paul has what is necessary to become President.
He's not criminally inclined enough?
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:37 pm

Bland and boring and will not appeal to the masses.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:47 pm

Reub wrote: Bland and boring and will not appeal to the masses.
Someone had better tell the pollsters that:
(from http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/main ... .html#more)

Q14 If the candidates for President next time were
Democrat Hillary Clinton and Republican Rand
Paul, who would you vote for?
Hillary Clinton.................................................. 39%
Rand Paul ....................................................... 49%
Not sure .......................................................... 12%
Benko
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Benko » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:14 pm

"Rand Paul ....................................................... 49%"
Wow.  The masses discover sanity?  Perhaps a community  organizer can really teach people important things.

I just watched part of an interview of Paul on the daily show and he might be the best president (of the choices).  He is articulate, can explain his views, and even got in a zinger again John Oliver. 

He is mild mannered and I wonder if electable (vs someone more charismatic), but perhaps the country is now ready for sanity. 
It was good being the party of Robin Hood. Until they morphed into the Sheriff of Nottingham
Coffee
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Coffee » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:28 pm

He doesn't come across as genuine on certain issues, but rather as someone who holds the same beliefs as his father but discovered how to more deftly say what will appeal to a more traditional Republican voter on those issues.  Namely, foreign policy and immigration.
"Now remember, when things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. "
Benko
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Benko » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:03 am

OOps:

By SEN. RAND PAUL | 6/25/13

I will be voting no on the Senate’s Gang of Eight immigration bill for one simple reason: because the legislation does not secure the border first.

By ALEXANDER BURNS | 7/11/13 1:35 PM EDT

Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul still believes the GOP would benefit from enacting a version of immigration reform before the 2016 elections, even though he voted against the comprehensive overhaul passed in the Senate at the end of June.

So Ryan, Rubio and Rand all want immigration reform.
Jan Van
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Jan Van » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:00 pm

Simonjester wrote: i don't know exactly what he means by reform.... with the laws going unenforced, the border going unsecured, the rules and bureaucracy promoting all manner of unnecessary cost and unintended consequences, it seems to me major reform is called for! but my definition of reform is not likely matching up with what any politician defines it as.
I suspect it wouldn't match rand Paul's either, but given his views on other issues he might be closer to wanting a step in the direction i would take than any other politician out there
Simonjester wrote:...the border going unsecured,...
Isn't the Border Patrol at an all-time high with number of agents? Plus that fence?

Or do you mean the Canadian border?
Simonjester wrote: it is largely border control theater/government boondoggle , a random and not terribly large percentage of immigrants and drug smugglers get stopped, the rest don't.

as long as the war on drugs creates a financial intensive to figure out ways to beat the border security (usually as simple as walking across ) and the cost and bureaucratic nightmare makes legal immigration more trouble than its worth, and the welfare, assistance and plentiful under the table/off the book jobs exist, and their baby's become anchors that let them chain immigrate entire extended families, there wont be any real progress at sorting out immigration, its a very interconnected multifaceted issue...
"Well, if you're gonna sin you might as well be original" -- Mike "The Cool-Person"
"Yeah, well, that’s just, like, your opinion, man" -- The Dude
Benko
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Benko » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:58 pm

There is also the fact that illegal immigrants are all potential democrats.

The democrats don't want border control for the same reason they don't want people to need an ID to vote.
Simonjester wrote: yes... and this too...
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:14 pm

Simonjester wrote:
jan van mourik wrote:
Simonjester wrote:...the border going unsecured,...
Isn't the Border Patrol at an all-time high with number of agents? Plus that fence?

Or do you mean the Canadian border?
it is largely border control theater/government boondoggle , a random and not terribly large percentage of immigrants and drug smugglers get stopped, the rest don't.

as long as the war on drugs creates a financial intensive to figure out ways to beat the border security (usually as simple as walking across ) and the cost and bureaucratic nightmare makes legal immigration more trouble than its worth, and the welfare, assistance and plentiful under the table/off the book jobs exist, and their baby's become anchors that let them chain immigrate entire extended families, there wont be any real progress at sorting out immigration, its a very interconnected multifaceted issue...
If you've ever driven along the Texas/Mexico border, you might have a more nuanced view.

It's not an unsecure border at all.  There are tons of Border Patrol officers, cameras, sensors, and fences.  Importantly, there also a series of checkpoints along the highways that are used to travel away from the border so that even if you get across the border, unless you want to walk hundreds of miles, you've got to figure out how to get past those checkpoints as well.

I guess it might be more secure with a Great Wall of China-style wall with gun turrets along the Mexican border, but what's going on now isn't bad.
Simonjester wrote: 1,954 mi total border length, a large percentage of those who get turned back on any given day will try again until they do make it, the drug traffic has even better incentives to get stuff across..

i actually don't buy the big fence argument. i think a combination of some fence, some technology and some manpower and letting the guys working on the border make decisions about what works best and where, based on first hand knowledge is the best approach, but even that wont work until you sort out all the other interconnected issues...

what we really have is border that cant be secured with manpower or fences or money alone, that doesn't mean the guys in border-patrol aren't trying, or that money isn't being spent, or mean all the effort you see expended in Texas is doing much good....
Mdraf
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mdraf » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:27 pm

The same cannot be said for the wide open Arizona border