Would Cruz/Palin Be An Unbeatable Ticket?

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

craigr
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Would Cruz/Palin Be An Unbeatable Ticket?

Post by craigr » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:56 pm

My thinking is that Cruz and Paul are going to keep jabbing sticks in the eyes of the GOP establishment for the next few years. I get the feeling they both know how unpopular the core GOP leadership is and are going to milk it for everything. We'll just have to see if the enthusiasm lasts from the press and public...
Last edited by craigr on Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mdraf
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mdraf » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:59 pm

They are each going after a different constituency. Cruz is after the disgruntled Tea Party types. Paul is courting the quasi-libertarians and is also targeting the under 25 libertarian leaning Democrats. Together they could take over the GOP.
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:16 pm

I don't think that Paul has what is necessary to become President.
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by technovelist » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:32 pm

Reub wrote: I don't think that Paul has what is necessary to become President.
He's not criminally inclined enough?
Another nod to the most beautiful equation: e + 1 = 0
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:37 pm

Bland and boring and will not appeal to the masses.
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by technovelist » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:47 pm

Reub wrote: Bland and boring and will not appeal to the masses.
Someone had better tell the pollsters that:
(from http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/main ... .html#more)

Q14 If the candidates for President next time were
Democrat Hillary Clinton and Republican Rand
Paul, who would you vote for?
Hillary Clinton.................................................. 39%
Rand Paul ....................................................... 49%
Not sure .......................................................... 12%
Another nod to the most beautiful equation: e + 1 = 0
Benko
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Benko » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:14 pm

"Rand Paul ....................................................... 49%"
Wow.  The masses discover sanity?  Perhaps a community  organizer can really teach people important things.

I just watched part of an interview of Paul on the daily show and he might be the best president (of the choices).  He is articulate, can explain his views, and even got in a zinger again John Oliver. 

He is mild mannered and I wonder if electable (vs someone more charismatic), but perhaps the country is now ready for sanity. 
It was good being the party of Robin Hood. Until they morphed into the Sheriff of Nottingham
Coffee
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Coffee » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:28 pm

He doesn't come across as genuine on certain issues, but rather as someone who holds the same beliefs as his father but discovered how to more deftly say what will appeal to a more traditional Republican voter on those issues.  Namely, foreign policy and immigration.
"Now remember, when things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. "
Benko
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Benko » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:03 am

OOps:

By SEN. RAND PAUL | 6/25/13

I will be voting no on the Senate’s Gang of Eight immigration bill for one simple reason: because the legislation does not secure the border first.

By ALEXANDER BURNS | 7/11/13 1:35 PM EDT

Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul still believes the GOP would benefit from enacting a version of immigration reform before the 2016 elections, even though he voted against the comprehensive overhaul passed in the Senate at the end of June.

So Ryan, Rubio and Rand all want immigration reform.
It was good being the party of Robin Hood. Until they morphed into the Sheriff of Nottingham
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:12 am

i don't know exactly what he means by reform....  with the laws going unenforced, the border going unsecured, the rules and bureaucracy promoting all manner of unnecessary cost and unintended consequences, it seems to me major reform is called for! but my definition of reform is not likely matching up with what any politician defines it as.
I suspect it wouldn't match rand Paul's either, but given his views on other issues he might be closer to wanting a step in the direction i would take than any other politician out there
“The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary.”

Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
Jan Van
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Jan Van » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:00 pm

l82start wrote:...the border going unsecured,...
Isn't the Border Patrol at an all-time high with number of agents? Plus that fence?

Or do you mean the Canadian border?
"Well, if you're gonna sin you might as well be original" -- Mike "The Cool-Person"
"Yeah, well, that’s just, like, your opinion, man" -- The Dude
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:17 pm

jan van mourik wrote:
l82start wrote:...the border going unsecured,...
Isn't the Border Patrol at an all-time high with number of agents? Plus that fence?

Or do you mean the Canadian border?
it is largely border control theater/government boondoggle , a random and not terribly large percentage of immigrants and drug smugglers get stopped, the rest don't.

as long as the war on drugs creates a financial intensive to figure out ways to beat the border security (usually as simple as walking across ) and the cost and bureaucratic nightmare makes legal immigration more trouble than its worth, and the welfare, assistance and plentiful under the table/off the book jobs exist, and their baby's become anchors that let them chain immigrate entire extended families, there wont be any real progress at sorting out immigration, its a very interconnected multifaceted issue...
“The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary.”

Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence