Pillows

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Pillows

Post by Libertarian666 »

I have a very serious problem that is affecting my sleep. I just CANNOT find a pillow that starts soft but supportive and stays that way all night. I have been using a down pillow, which is excellent at first but eventually packs down into something way too hard, so I wake up and toss and turn. This is affecting both myself and my wife.

Some details:
I sleep on my side, and it is my ear that hurts me. If I could sleep on my back, obviously this would not be a problem.

What I have tried:
All kinds of foam pillows, including memory foam
Down pillows
Water-filled pillows
Something like the "as seen on TV My Pillow", but from Costco

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Bean
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Pillows

Post by Bean »

They have those pillows with the ear hole that look interesting for side sleepers.

I am a face down or free fall sleeper (think that is what they call it). So I could have two rocks and sleep just fine as long as they are the right size.
“Let every man divide his money into three parts, and invest a third in land, a third in business and a third let him keep by him in reserve.� ~Talmud
Austen Heller
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Austen Heller »

I too am a side sleeper, and I can't use those down pillows since they compress too much and give me neck pain.  About 7-8 years ago, I found these Sealy pillows that work great.  They compress a little, but still give plenty of support.  I use the "Medium" ones; I tried the "Firm" one but it was just too firm.  I used to get them from K-Mart but now I can only find them at JC Penney.  Here's a link:

http://www.jcpenney.com/dotcom/for-the- ... rchResults
gizmo_rat
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by gizmo_rat »

Two others that might be worth considering;

Latex foam pillow, which is like the seat cushioning of an armchair. Heavy, expensive, bit of a strange feel to start with but doesn't wear or change over time.

Foam cored pillow, 2 inch thick closed cell foam with a large hole in the middle within a normal polyester wadded pillow. Stays soft under your ear and is cheap.

If it's a recently occurring problem don't discount some underlying physiological cause. I went on a pillow buying spree last year to relieve upper neck pain... the pillow wasn't the issue.
Benko
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Benko »

I've sleep on my side and have used tempurpedic bed and pillow for over 10 years and love them.

There are two shapes:  I've used their classic neck pillow to sleep on my side and love it(make sure you get right size).  :
http://www.tempurpedic.com/Contoured-Pi ... Pillow.asp

They now make a side sleeping pillow which I don't like, but you might:

http://www.tempurpedic.com/Contoured-Pi ... Pillow.asp

I have no idea if imitation memory foam are really as good or not.
It was good being the party of Robin Hood. Until they morphed into the Sheriff of Nottingham
Benko
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Benko »

PS may take a few days to a week to get used to it, so if you try, give it a chance.
It was good being the party of Robin Hood. Until they morphed into the Sheriff of Nottingham
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

A am a back and side sleeper.  I really like the memory foam pillow I got from Costco a couple of years ago.  I tried a name brand memory foam and did not like it.  ?????  I sleep with the large bump side toward my body and the small bump sise toward the head of the bed.  For whatever that was worth ......  Good luck.
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex »

How about getting a thin memory foam pillow and placing soft microfiber towels on top of it inside the pillow case?

This would provide a pillow with a very soft top layer, with great support underneath.

It would be sort of like a "pillow top pillow."
Q: “Do you have funny shaped balloons?”
A: “Not unless round is funny.”
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll report back on what I try and how it works... assuming anyone is interested.  :P
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub »

Also consider buckwheat pillows. They work for me. And if they don't you can always use them for food.
notsheigetz
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by notsheigetz »

Not sure if this would be what you are looking for but I have been using a cervical pillow due to some neck issues. It's shaped like a donut and has an air pump you can use to set the firmness that is most comfortable for you. I can report that it feels great when you are lying on your back - seems to set your spine in a very relaxing position. Unfortunately, I have never been able to sleep on my back. I always end up either on my side or my stomach and I usually end up tossing it for a regular pillow before morning.
This space available for rent.